Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Keeping flooded lead acid batteries properly watered in storage is essential. I stored my original (2011) Interstate batteries in my garage, on a BatteryMinder 12248 last winter. The BatteryMinder is excellent for maintenance charging, but we were absent for five months, and the batteries lost water. They failed prematurely this summer after only 8 months of active service. I replaced them with AGM batteries that are better suited for our lengthly storage periods.
I wonder if there was an issue with the batts prior to the storage. I have used a batteryminder on known good batts for 2 winters now and there was little, if any, water gone in the spring when it was time to reinstall.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
BatteryMinder(s)

Keep in mind when comparing results with BatteryMinder products, they make many different models with different capabilities and characteristics. Clicking on their Website's RV link alone provides 10 different 12 volt models.

http://batteryminders.com/store.php?...n_home&&app=rv

Ken

Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
True, I use a pair of these " Battery minder with desulfator #12117". I use one for the two AS batteries and one for my lawn tractor and scooter batteries. None of the batts use any discernable water over the winter.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
OK - after reading all of this, I am going to pull them from the AS and trickle charge in my garage over winter. These are new batts so want to maintain them well.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Not so fast there bonginator.... Many replies but few facts.

At lowish temps it becomes more difficult to overcharge batteries because the chemical activity in the battery slows down with temperature. So, with typical mountain winter temperatures, overcharging isn't a problem. The stock converter in your Safari is the same as what I have in my trailer. I looked up all the voltages once and in essence with these chargers no charging takes place below 50 degrees or so. In my climate, similar to yours, I leave the batteries installed and leave the trailer plugged in all winter. My batteries have lasted through two winters and are still going strong. I have checked electrolyte levels in them and find that it's only necessary to top them off in the fall before storing and then in the spring again before getting the trailer on the road.

The main source of damage to batteries over the winter is loss of charge, so if you're plugged in you'll be OK.

You can bring them in the garage and trickle charge them there but at best there will be no benefit... and... if your garage is much warmer, you may reduce the life of the batteries as they deteriorate more quickly in warmer conditions. Besides, it's a hassle.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Not so fast there bonginator.... Many replies but few facts.

At lowish temps it becomes more difficult to overcharge batteries because the chemical activity in the battery slows down with temperature. So, with typical mountain winter temperatures, overcharging isn't a problem. The stock converter in your Safari is the same as what I have in my trailer. I looked up all the voltages once and in essence with these chargers no charging takes place below 50 degrees or so. In my climate, similar to yours, I leave the batteries installed and leave the trailer plugged in all winter. My batteries have lasted through two winters and are still going strong. I have checked electrolyte levels in them and find that it's only necessary to top them off in the fall before storing and then in the spring again before getting the trailer on the road.

The main source of damage to batteries over the winter is loss of charge, so if you're plugged in you'll be OK.

You can bring them in the garage and trickle charge them there but at best there will be no benefit... and... if your garage is much warmer, you may reduce the life of the batteries as they deteriorate more quickly in warmer conditions. Besides, it's a hassle.
Just to confirm, when you say "if you're plugged in you'll be OK" - you are referring to my batts being connected to a trickle charger and the trickle charger plugged in, correct? I don't have shore power at my storage place - only a normal outlet into which I can plug a trickle charger.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I wonder if there was an issue with the batts prior to the storage. I have used a batteryminder on known good batts for 2 winters now and there was little, if any, water gone in the spring when it was time to reinstall.
Quite possible, dznf0g. The abnormal loss of electrolyte could have been a defective battery.

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote