Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
Flht2k's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 135
Can Generators Run Both AC's While Boondocking?

Hello members
Just traded in my 2015 FC 25 twin for 2017 FC 28 with 2 ac. Quick
question, does anybody run both ac's at the same time using shore power? Or if boon docking, can​ you run them with 2 2200 watt generator s?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
Hello members
Just traded in my 2015 FC 25 twin for 2017 FC 28 with 2 ac. Quick
question, does anybody run both ac's at the same time using shore power? Or if boon docking, can​ you run them with 2 2200 watt generator s?

Thanks
RV air conditioners typically operate at 14-16 running amps. A pair of Honda 2000s would just be passable for operation of 2 A/Cs, but they will not have the overhead capacity to provide for the 50+ amp transient starting load required by the compressor of each unit.

You would need a pair of 3000s for running 2 roof A/C units, or a robust lithium bank and 3000 watt hybrid inverter with a pair of 2000s. I would think that the 3000s would be significantly less expensive that the lithium system.

And yes, your 50 amp shore connection will enable you to operate both A/Cs at the same time from a proper 50 amp shore connection. You could even run a third if you had one.....just like the large diesel motor homes do every day here in FL
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' International
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
RV air conditioners typically operate at 14-16 running amps. A pair of Honda 2000s would just be passable for operation of 2 A/Cs, but they will not have the overhead capacity to provide for the 50+ amp transient starting load required by the compressor of each unit.

You would need a pair of 3000s for running 2 roof A/C units, or a robust lithium bank and 3000 watt hybrid inverter with a pair of 2000s. I would think that the 3000s would be significantly less expensive that the lithium system.

And yes, your 50 amp shore connection will enable you to operate both A/Cs at the same time from a proper 50 amp shore connection. You could even run a third if you had one.....just like the large diesel motor homes do every day here in FL


Check out Micro- air's easy-start. One 2000w gen per AC. Lowers initial demand. Designed originally for the marine industry.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' International
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 159
Check out the thread " should I keep my 2x Honda generators "
__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
Hello members
Just traded in my 2015 FC 25 twin for 2017 FC 28 with 2 ac. Quick
question, does anybody run both ac's at the same time using shore power? Or if boon docking, can​ you run them with 2 2200 watt generator s?

Thanks


Shore power - you'll need a 50a hookup or it's dicey. The manual says no, but it could be done as long as both weren't starting at the same time and other loads were minimal (think fridge and water heater on propane).

If I'm planning a campground stay I look for 50 a hookups because I like it cool.
__________________
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 182
I use a Honda 7000 I generator and run both air conditioner
__________________
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
Northville , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 116
x2 on the Micro-Air Easy Start. One big downside - installing will likely void your AC warranty.
__________________
Al
2017 26' SOB, 2016 F-150 SCrew, ProPride
SailorSam205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' International
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 159
Talk with Matteo at micro air. He will go to bat for you with dometic. I believe dometic uses a similar system on a commercial unit they make.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 182
Here we go again, let's cheat the system micro air instead of a correct sized generator???? "He will go to bat for you " means what after you ac's are damaged possibly your holding the bag. My thought would be to take Lewsters advice and skip trying to beat the system

Earl
__________________
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
Here we go again, let's cheat the system micro air instead of a correct sized generator???? "He will go to bat for you " means what after you ac's are damaged possibly your holding the bag. My thought would be to take Lewsters advice and skip trying to beat the system
Earl
Actually this is just thinking smarter rather than working harder. It's kind of ridiculous to have to size generators 50% bigger than you need just to handle the transient startup draw that lasts less than 1 sec. Here's a guy who's figured out a safe way (which by the way actually increases component life by easing the startup cycle from such an abrupt, jerky start) to reduce the transient requirements - and he's done such a good job that the manufacturers have taken notice and are even offering his solution as a factory option in some cases.

Having him willing to go to bat - and knowing his relationship with the manufacturers - gives this solution a lot more credibility that most hacks.
__________________
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
Full time Airstreamer
 
SCOTTinNJ's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 986
I'd ask weather your really need to run both air conditioners.
__________________
@living.somewhere.yonder | Instagram
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
VaTravelers's Avatar
 
2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 166
I have two a/c units on my 2017 28' Serenity and have run both on my Honda 2000s. They were not started together and I had both my refer and hot water on propane. However, once I proved that it could be done, I shut down one. Honestly, I did just fine with running one a/c unit off the generators. It kept my AS cool.
__________________
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' International
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 159
I'll be installing mine (one AC ) and documenting it here somewhere in the forum. Micro air is offering $50 off ($250) through the summer.

Joshjack is right. Dometic already has a startup capacitors in their unit. This is the way most manufacturers handle this issue. Problem is there is still a micro second burst that overpowers the generator causing it to shut down. Its hard on the AC and hard on the generator. If the Easystart eliminates most of the "punch" and slowly engages the generator, it has to be better for all devices concerned. The easystart also has a 6 second delay to allow a 2000i generator to get out of eco mode and get to full speed. Nice touch!
__________________
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

 
2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Actually this is just thinking smarter rather than working harder. It's kind of ridiculous to have to size generators 50% bigger than you need just to handle the transient startup draw that lasts less than 1 sec. Here's a guy who's figured out a safe way (which by the way actually increases component life by easing the startup cycle from such an abrupt, jerky start) to reduce the transient requirements - and he's done such a good job that the manufacturers have taken notice and are even offering his solution as a factory option in some cases.



Having him willing to go to bat - and knowing his relationship with the manufacturers - gives this solution a lot more credibility that most hacks.

Agree. Carrying twice the genny is costly and inefficient especially when most of us carry a genny solely for AC.
__________________

__________________
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
39 degrees while boondocking, anyway to get heat without generators Streaminfree 2016 - Current Flying Cloud 48 08-30-2016 03:54 PM
Run both a/cs at once? Jenniflow Classic Motorhomes 13 05-08-2015 04:44 PM
Generators vs. what they will run Johnnyk777 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 4 09-08-2014 11:24 PM
Can you run both Air Conditioners with the Genset? Keyair Classic Motorhomes 4 08-26-2011 05:32 PM
How to run both roof air units RoyTabernick Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 2 05-29-2009 08:59 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.