Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It is my understanding that the only difference is in the case (e.g. Same electronics inside). The beige one is a little bigger than the black one. Also, the beige one is more weather-resistant.
Thank you.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #202
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
After Startup?

Does the Easy Start continue to function after the initial startup?
Thanks
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
Thanks
I gather the Easy Start's main purpose is to lower the startup electricity draw. Electric motors draw much more current during the first second or so it takes to accelerate to their operating RPM. Once at speed their power demands drop. In the case of the Airstream AC, after this initial draw the current demand drops to a level a Honda or Yamaha 2000 can sustain operation. So my guess the answer to your question is no, the easy start does not add functional value once the AC has started.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #204
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
EasyStart's Benefits During Steady-State Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
Thanks
Great question, SilverSinbad. In addition to EasyStart's dramatic reduction in the compressor's startup current, it does also provide very valuable benefits after the startup is completed. As kscherzi mentioned, once the startup is over with, the EasyStart does not electrically affect the compressor's normally operating (steady-state) running current since the EasyStart's solid-state power devices have been switched out of the circuit and internally bypassed by power relays. However, during steady-state operation, EasyStart continues monitoring your compressor's AC input power, real-time current, and motor rotation. It continuously checks for anomalous and potentially damaging conditions, and it will very quickly intervene to shut down the compressor much faster than any of the other factory-installed protection devices (e.g. high pressure switches or thermal overload protectors).

Below is the list of these benefits. Each has a corresponding fault LED light sequence that shows on the circuit board. If any of these conditions occur, the EasyStart will wait 5 minutes before attempting another compressor restart. This waiting allows the internal refrigerant pressures of the A/C system to equalize, thus preventing stalls during any subsequent restart attempt.
  • Stall Detection - If the compressor stalls for any reason (low voltage brownout), the EasyStart will detect this and immediately shut it down. Without EasyStart, the only protection for this that exists is the compressor's thermal overload, which typically takes about 3 seconds to react. Also, the system's circuit breaker may not help either if it is set too large or the voltage is low enough to keep the stall current within its trip setting.
  • Overcurrent Detection - If the compressor exceeds the steady-state current rating of the EasyStart itself for more than 5 seconds, and if the system's circuit breaker doesn't intervene, then the EasyStart will shut it down.
  • Open Overload Protector - If the compressor's thermal overload protector opens for some reason (i.e. compressor overheated), the EasyStart will detect this, shut down, and wait 5 minutes before restarting, even if the thermal overload immediately recloses.
  • Wiring Error - If you install the EasyStart incorrectly or a wire comes loose during operation, EasyStart can detect most wiring errors and completely inhibit any starting attempt at all at all.
  • Power Interruption - If AC power disappears for even 50ms, which is often enough for a compressor to stall (since they don't "coast" very much!), the EasyStart will detect this short outage and wait 5 minutes before attempting a restart.
  • Anti-Short-Cycle Timer - If the power completely goes away or the thermostat becomes satisfy and turns off the compressor, the EasyStart will keep track of the off time - even while power is completely removed from it - and require a minimum of 5 minutes before attempting a restart. For example, when power is reapplied and/or the thermostat calls for the compressor to run again, if only 3 minutes have elapsed, the EasyStart will wait 2 minutes more (i.e. the balance of 5 minutes) before restarting the compressor. If more than 5 minutes has elapsed, then the EasyStart waits its usual (minimum) 5 seconds before restarting the compressor.

So, as you can see, the EasyStart provides tremendous benefits and protections for your compressor well above and beyond the factory configuration of any RV rooftop A/C in the industry. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
Cleaned up installation this am. All still works. A little less tight. I'll hook up my lp h2000 tomorrow and see what happens. Road trip Monday for motion effects. Will say that ac startup is smooth. [emoji1317]

I hooked up my H2000 today and ran for 30 minutes without AC checking out low draw things in the AS. The reason was my new Gen had a bad spark plug that caused problems the day before. New plug in, ran 30 min and all was well. Turned on AC, it didn't do anything for a few minutes but then fan came on and a little while later (I didn't time anything) the compressor kicked in. I had to listen really hard to hear it. Let it run for 20 minutes then set therm up to cut off AC. Gen went back to Eco and it ran pretty smooth. Turned AC back on and it worked again. Happy with both the easy start and the new gen. Guess there may be delays on start up that don't mean anything is wrong, it's just getting its ducks in line, lol.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #206
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Thumbs up Free EasyStart Stickers!

A brilliant idea from an Air Forums member was passed along to me, and I went ahead, designed, and got printed an outdoor quality sticker that you can adhere to the side of your A/C, trailer, or wherever. They're 3x5 ovals, in the popular style. If you'd like some, please PM me your previous order #, how many you'd like (limit 2 per A/C), and I'll mail some along to you on the house . Thank you again for everyone's support!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStart Sticker (3x5).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	284129  
Old 05-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
I installed the Easy Start on the 15K AC today.
One Honda 2000i was able to start and run the AC along with a few lights and the fridge on.
There was no need to drill any holes.
The wires from the easy start just follow the compressor wires.
I left the unused cap in place.
When I get home I will solder the connections because I am paranoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	285194  
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:09 AM   #208
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
I installed the Easy Start on the 15K AC today.
One Honda 2000i was able to start and run the AC along with a few lights and the fridge on. There was no need to drill any holes. The wires from the easy start just follow the compressor wires. I left the unused cap in place. When I get home I will solder the connections because I am paranoid.
Outstanding work, Randy! In parallel with you, I actually discovered and did what you did on 7 installations over this past weekend at an RV rally in Tennessee. Clearing the duct putty out of the way to pass the harness through the existing hole and reapplying it was much easier, and much less intrusive. You took it one step further by even eliminating the need for the tie-wrap anchor. One question: How close was the harness length? Were the wires bordering on being too short after exactly following and tie-wrapping to the compressor wires?

In any case, in response to your post and my experience, now that dozens of Penguin IIs are out of my reach again, I've asked my team in the factory to do what you did in our Penguin II and retake some more photos. I'm also going to see if we can redesign the installation kit to eliminate the liquid tight and tie-wrap anchor, and add a few more tie wraps. That'll save a few bucks on the price. Lastly, I'll make a one page sheet to add to it, specifically for the Penguin II, so we can show this method more clearly.

Thanks again for sharing. We're always looking for ways to make EasyStart installations better and easier, especially for what now seems to be the ubiquitous Dometic Penguin II.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
"One question: How close was the harness length? Were the wires bordering on being too short after exactly following and tie-wrapping to the compressor wires?"

The wire length was just right.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
Old 05-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
EasyStart UpDate = ESUD.
While attempting to run two ES modified air conditioners on one Honda 2000i generator, the Honda never went into an overload condition. Rather the AC fans would operate without the compressor.

In fact at anytime the AC was short on current only the fans would operate.

What this means is if your not getting cold air, and the fans are running, something else is drawing too much current. It could be your converter or your water heater or whatever.

It was interesting that the ES modified AC compressor would turn off faster than the Honda overload circuit could engage.

RC
Old 05-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
13500 AC question

So, I have a couple of questions which may have been covered somewhere? We pulled the trigger on a 28' FC, Twin today, and are planning to get EasyStart; do I need 2?

Additional questions:
1) If one AC is being used, does it blow cool air out all the vents or is it separated?
2) I plan to get 2 Easy Starts on new unit, but....Can I start the 13500 AC with a single 2000W Honda without the EasyStart? (I thought I saw some one said yes?)
3) Last question- on new 23'- can the Honda 2000W or Yamaha 2000W start the AC without the EasyStart? Friend purchasing a 23' and asking.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My 13500 Penguin will not run on my single Honda EU2000. I am confident that it would if I installed the Easy Start.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
So, I have a couple of questions which may have been covered somewhere? We pulled the trigger on a 28' FC, Twin today, and are planning to get EasyStart; do I need 2?

Additional questions:
1) If one AC is being used, does it blow cool air out all the vents or is it separated?
2) I plan to get 2 Easy Starts on new unit, but....Can I start the 13500 AC with a single 2000W Honda without the EasyStart? (I thought I saw some one said yes?)
3) Last question- on new 23'- can the Honda 2000W or Yamaha 2000W start the AC without the EasyStart? Friend purchasing a 23' and asking.
To answer some of your questions, one Easy Start per rooftop AC unit.

1. Don't know this answer.
2. A Honda 2000 will not start a 13,500 BTU AC without an Easy Start. However, a Honda 2000 will start and run a 13,500 BTU if the AC has an installed Easy Start.
3. Probably not, but without knowledge of type and size of AC on the 23 unit can't say for sure.

To my mind the greatest advantage of the Easy Start is it's ability to allow a Honda or Yamaha 2000 to start and run a 15,000 BTU or less AC. This allows us to purchase and lug around smaller and lighter generators than would otherwise be possible. That said, if you plan to camp where you expect to run a generator 24/7 for days on end a larger generator is probably a better choice irrespective of the Easy Start.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #214
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
To answer question three. The answer is maybe.

Not in a stock AS system. You need the easy start.

If you have a hybrid inverter and a decent battery bank, then yes. The hybrid inverter will supplement the starting amps needed for the compressor from the battery and once started the generator can maintain without an easy start.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:21 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
To answer #1: Each AC blows through all the vents when running, so running two significantly increases air flow from all vents. (Closing vent registers gives some ability to adjust airflow, but the registers don't have perfect seals.)

If you get an ES installed on each AC unit, you can run either with a single Honda 2000, you can run both from a single 30 amp power source (a big deal for us given where we camp), or you could run both with two Honda 2000s running in parallel.

We have this setup and it works great.

Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #216
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Ordered. Used the discount to pay for overnight shopping. Hopefully it will fit in my little 11000 btu unit.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #217
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
It blows from all the vents, however, in my experience, it blows with more force nearer the unit in use.
So if you're hanging around the front, it makes sense to run the front A/C.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #218
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you have limited shore power available or a small generator with dual roof A/C units and ducted air (AND the Easy Start devices installed), one trick that I advise my clients is to operate one A/C unit with the compressor and the other on FAN ONLY.

This scenario fills the ducts with cold air from one unit while pushing it around with more force from the fan off the second unit. Power consumption for the fan only is in the 3 amp neighborhood.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
EasyStart UpDate = ESUD.
While attempting to run two ES modified air conditioners on one Honda 2000i generator, the Honda never went into an overload condition. Rather the AC fans would operate without the compressor.

In fact at anytime the AC was short on current only the fans would operate.

What this means is if your not getting cold air, and the fans are running, something else is drawing too much current. It could be your converter or your water heater or whatever.

It was interesting that the ES modified AC compressor would turn off faster than the Honda overload circuit could engage.

RC
ESUD.
Turns out the the two Genconnex EU2000i Hondas were both set for high altitude by mistake by Genconnex This may have caused the Easy Start modified ACs to sometimes run with fan only. But I found out to late as I had already modified the front low pressure propane port on the front of the trailer from 1/4" to 3/8" trying to figure it all out.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #220
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
This and other Easy Start/Generator threads read like a novel! I was nervous about installing the Micro Air 364 myself. Thanks to all who contributed to this forum it was a cinch!
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote