Bye Bye Univolt- Hello WFCO
After 10 years I thought it was about time to replace the Univolt. For a few years the Univolt has been "browning out" and totally dropping out. I traced this to a high resistance fault in the Univolt's negative output through the ammeter shunt. My output was typically 11.4 volts to 9.5 volts to 0 volts on full failure.
The copper "rivet" shown by the arrow is actually the flat end of a threaded stud that is fed from the reverse by a cable bolted to it. This is the main negative output from the Univolt and the also the connection point for the trailer negative lead. Corrosion had built up under this rivet which resulted in a intermittent connection. This resistance caused a corresponding heat build up...not good.
The images show my layout and installation of a WFCO 65 amp, three stage converter, a set of breakers, and a new fuse panel.
I'm not recommending this to anyone, but only present this as how I did the replacement. The result was 13.8 volts and really bright lights!
Hope this is helpful!