Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
The 25mppt/6 core system can only regulate up to 400 watts. If you go with 4-135 panels, you'd need to upgrade to the 40mppt/4. 3-135 watt panels is plenty for your current battery bank. What size inverter are you planning?
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You can actually run a Blue Sky 2512iX-HV solar charge controller over 400 watts (STC) as you never actually get the STC rated output from ANY Solar panel. It simply maxes out the charge amperage and clips it at 25 amps. I have done several systems like this (mine at 500 watts was the first). I would see 25 amps to the batteries on a regular basis.

When I needed the equipment for an installation (sold as USED, of course ), I replaced the 2512 with the Blue Sky 3024 controller and would see 30+ charging amps on a bright sunny day when the batteries were down, so I was effectively losing about 5 charging amps (during peak periods) by using the smaller controller.

I then needed my 5 GS-100 hard panels for another installation and replaced them with Grape Solar's 100 watt flex panels (500 watts again) as an experiment. Still have the 40 amp controller, but now never see any charging amperage above 23 amps. This is caused by inefficiencies in the flex panels and their decreased sensitivity to lower light conditions. They still don't 'put out' at the same level that the hard panels do.

The overall situation is fine, as I have also switched to a 200 amp lithium battery pack at 54 lbs. instead of the 2 Lifeline GPL-6CT 300 amp/hour golf cart batteries that I was using at 180 lbs, so I am actually way over the charging requirements of the lithiums
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Ahh screw it. I ended up going with the 25/6 core system and 3 135W panels. I think this will be ok with our current 220ahs worth of battery power. Although, I'm almost thinking I should of gone bigger because 4 panels seems like a magical number.
You can easily add a 4th panel into the combiner box at any time. Set up the system and see how it does for you at 405 watts. Keep an eye on the iPN Pro remote's battery monitor to get a complete picture of what is going in and out of the batteries. The battery capacity screen will be a good 'fuel gauge' to see if the array is large enough to keep your batteries full.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote