Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Boondocker BPC4-60 Converter

I purchased a Boondocker BPC4-60 all in one converter a few years ago for my 72 Sovereign build and finally got it put in. I contacted Best Converter today about the 12v system not working and the battery not staying charged I was told to check the wiring in which we did. We did find a black wire all rolled up nice and neat that has a metal end on it for possible termination under a screw, does anyone know if this has anything to do with the 12v side. Is their anyone that has installed one of these that might have a clue of what's going on. My guy has never installed this type of all in one converter before. Any help would be helpful. Will try Best Converter again when they open.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I looked at the manual and the drawing shows a black wire that goes between the upper area and the lower area, down the right side. It appears to be power to the battery charger. Look at the manual and see if this might be your wire. If so, it is the AC hot line and depending on which end is disconnected may have 120 volts on it when the converter is powered up so be careful.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Al,
Thanks I did find a black wire with black tape over the end (the nice rolled up wire). My installation manual is not the best in the world but we will check and see where it connects at hopefully. Hopefully that will fix the charger and my 12v lighting issue.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
I purchased a Boondocker BPC4-60 all in one converter a few years ago for my 72 Sovereign build and finally got it put in. I contacted Best Converter today about the 12v system not working and the battery not staying charged I was told to check the wiring in which we did. We did find a black wire all rolled up nice and neat that has a metal end on it for possible termination under a screw, does anyone know if this has anything to do with the 12v side. Is their anyone that has installed one of these that might have a clue of what's going on. My guy has never installed this type of all in one converter before. Any help would be helpful. Will try Best Converter again when they open.
Hi Cole,
I just happened to log in this evening and saw this. That wire coiled up is your converter power wire. It needs to connect to a breaker to power the lower converter. You said he had it all hooked up and I took that as ALL wires were connected. Nothing is going to work without that power wire connected to a breaker. I prefer to have it on a dedicated breaker (15 amp is all it needs) Hope this helps and sorry I didn't query you on this on the phone but assumed you had that connected and just not getting power. BTW, that is the older model so people don't get confused. New product and part number is BD 1260 PC
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Thanks all, Overlander after scratching and standing on our heads we realized the curled up black wire was not pushed up behind the breaker screw. I undone the screw pushed it in and tightened it up and let the lights shine. Will it hurt to be under a lug on my breaker that has a few outlets on it since I only had two 15 amp double breakers available for street and curb side outlets, the others are for A/C, refrigerator, water heater. Can additional breakers be added to this converter for this issue. Thanks cole3444
Old 08-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's normally better to run over to a wire nut rather than cram a bunch of wires under the screw on a breaker. There's nothing magic about the converter being on a 15A breaker. If you have something else open, there's probably a way to use it. If you have an open spot in the breaker panel, there also is nothing weird about the breakers. You can usually find the right kind at a Lowes or Home Depot.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
Thanks all, Overlander after scratching and standing on our heads we realized the curled up black wire was not pushed up behind the breaker screw. I undone the screw pushed it in and tightened it up and let the lights shine. Will it hurt to be under a lug on my breaker that has a few outlets on it since I only had two 15 amp double breakers available for street and curb side outlets, the others are for A/C, refrigerator, water heater. Can additional breakers be added to this converter for this issue. Thanks cole3444
Since you have the older model, you can have up to 6 circuits if you use twin breakers. The new ones have 8 but regardless, if you can arrange it so it has its own breaker, that would be ideal. It will only use up to 8-9 amps but being able to isolate it and turn it off can come in handy (inverter use for example.)
You can share if necessary but if you exceed the breaker rating it will trip obviously. I wouldn't share with an outlet that you use a coffee pot for example. Some people choose to share it with the main but that would not be my first choice.
I agree with Bob on wire nuts unless you can get two wires in the set screw hole easily without having to force them.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote