Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I wouldn't think that the solar controller cares; when it sees a high enough battery voltage it just shuts off. No different than having the OEM battery charger on with the solar operating.
Larry

Old 10-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I leave my batteries in the trailer, hooked up to a battery tender, of 1.5 amps every other week and never any problems, now using a solar panel with a battery minder, and it keeps the batteries well charged

Old 10-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
tjdonahoe - it probably gets pretty cold up your way and if you use the charger and leave the batteries on the trailer without them freezing up, then, I think that's what I will try as well. It's not as easy to carry heavy batteries up and down the stairs after my knee replacement and I prefer to keep them on the Airstream and check the water levels throughout the winter. Heck...it's just outside the door and I will be doing some driveway camping as well.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
tjdonahoe - it probably gets pretty cold up your way and if you use the charger and leave the batteries on the trailer without them freezing up, then, I think that's what I will try as well. It's not as easy to carry heavy batteries up and down the stairs after my knee replacement and I prefer to keep them on the Airstream and check the water levels throughout the winter. Heck...it's just outside the door and I will be doing some driveway camping as well.
My model T and model A fords are stored in cold storage and I recharge the batteries every couple months and them cheapy 6 volt batteries last 5-6 years
Old 10-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I have always for years left them in the trailer. Isolated switch mode and connected to a good quality battery minder mounted in the battery box. Never ever had a problem in Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for all the input everyone! I did buy a quality battery tender this year and definitely use it with the batteries on the Airstream....may just get it all hooked up this weekend.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
What constitutes a good quality battery minder?
Old 10-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
What constitutes a good quality battery minder?
These guys: http://www.batterytender.com

Mike
Old 10-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Absolutely the right stuff.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
This is the charger I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G7200-Ul...us+g7200&psc=1

Here is the next question:

Since the batteries are wired in parallel, do I:

1. Hook up to the positive and negative one one of the batteries and assume that both batteries will charge (since they are in parallel).

2. Hook up to the positive on one of the batteries and the negative on the other battery

I believe the answer is #1 since that's what I did all summer with the free standing solar panels and everything stayed charged up.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Do the instructions cover this? Or the mfg. website?

Personally I would not plug the charger in to 120 yet. Then clip the charger's positive/red clip to the battery post where the AS's red/positive cable is, and then clip the charger's negative clip to the AS's black/negative post. In this order too.

[Edit -- Instruction manual on pp. 11-13 covers this -- link in PS]

Hopefully one of the experts here will comment.

Good luck.

Peter

PS -- Edit -- the illustration at your link shows some cables with eyelet ends which could be bolted to the correct terminal, instead of using the alligator clips? That would be preferable if possible IMO.

This unit draws 7.2 amps and is rated for 230Ah of battery. Do these specs fit the use, including 2 batteries in parallel?

The instruction manual is here:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1L7QsQnRVS.pdf

See pp. 11-13.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Peter....at their website, I found this:

https://no.co/support/series-and-parallel-charging

I am an electrical idiot and get confused with all this stuff. When I went to Batteries Plus, the assured me the one I bought would work.

So....I wonder if I use method 1 or method 2 from my previous post to hook up. It looks like the charger I bought will handle the job ??
Old 10-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I just went out to the Airstream determined the batteries are wired in parallel because the negative of one battery is connected to the negative of the other battery and the positive of one battery is wired to the positive of the other battery.

The batteries are Interstate SRM 24's.

The NOCO site says: Connecting in parallel stacks up the amp hours of each battery, allowing for a longer use. This type of set-up is for systems that use a lower voltage, but are used for longer periods of time. Wiring in parallel does not affect the voltage (power delivered) of a system of batteries, just how long the batteries can be used until they die. Connecting in parallel requires you to connect the negative terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the next, as well as connecting the positives to the positives. Using each battery terminal lead ensures that the voltage stays the same, but the overall capacity increases.

Now....I get confused on how to calculate the AH for the batteries that I have. So, I am going to take the chart I printed out from the Interstate Battery site for my SRM-24's and go back to Batteries Plus this morning and confirm whether I have the charger that will handle these batteries or not.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I cut the alligator clips off and put large ring terminals on and mounted them permanently to the battery bolts. The incoming 110 to the Battery DOC would disconnect so I ran the small end through the access hole on the side of the battery box. I also added a lock to the battery box as well. I leave the Battery DOC in permanently and just connect my extension cord to the plug on the outside of the battery box when parked. Battery DOC Positive to any battery positive and Battery DOC negative to any battery negative is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Doc Install.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	273241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Lock Install.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	273242  

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD 4WD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab Short Bed, Huper Optik, Bull Dog Spray In, Roll-N-Lock, Full Amsoil, Denali SoundBomb, Yakima
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote