Old 12-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
best off season smart battery charger and power source

our as 22 is in winter storage.
i want to keep the Pb current battery in charge
i plan to get some lithium before next season.

i also want to better maintain my shop tool batteries 14v 18v and 21v

these two items were recommend by a friend.i tested them and they work GREAT!

both came off amazon

the power source will do up to 1200w and 50A
the charger will do almost any battery type
as well it can do a smart discharge, charge, trickle and rebuild

i now use these two to do all my batteries at home.

BTW, i own no stock or get any kickback from the OEM or amazon, just a happy customer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power src and i charger.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	300627   Click image for larger version

Name:	icharger batt types.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	300628  

Click image for larger version

Name:	50Amp pwr source.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	300629  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
also, the charger comes with a temp thermo-couple.

easily taped to one of the batteries to ensure no over heating

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Blue Springs , Missouri
I must be missing it, what brand did you test and are recommending?

thank you,
lisa
LHWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
While I am a fan of iChargers for their targeted use case (RC hobby, charging from a 12V source) I don't think I would encourage anyone to use one for a TT/RV, as the fact that it is a native 12V powered charger somewhat defeats the purpose. The iCharger also adds risk/complexity in if you select one of the "wrong" battery chemistries or configurations that you could cause harm to the battery or worse.

The manual for the charger itself even spells this out:
Quote:
Be very careful to choose the correct voltage for different types of battery otherwise you may cause damage to the batteries. Incorrect settings could cause the cells to vent, burn or explode leading to injury or loss of property.
The issue with this charger is that it has several other chemistries that, if selected in error, could be quite dangerous. Additionally, very few users likely know the actual cell configuration of the battery they are charging. Some might even confuse LiPo, Lilo, and LiFe...and the outcome could be disastrous, depending on the actual lithium battery you connect it to.

These are perfectly fine chargers for R/C hobby, however for a TT it seems that a $200 12V power supply and a $190 multi-chemistry charger are a bit overkill. These chargers aren't designed for continuous use (e.g. maintaining voltage of a stored battery), a Battery Tender is the better choice. AFAIK, when the charge is "finished" the iCharger turns itself off entirely to avoid the problems that continuous voltage causes on the targeted audience's batteries.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
good advise..

I know this a bit old but I was using a harbor freight deal for winter usage with batteries in garage out of the extreme cold.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...ger-42292.html
lots of good reviews and not all that expensive. I got mine on sale for 6 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
While I am a fan of iChargers for their targeted use case (RC hobby, charging from a 12V source) I don't think I would encourage anyone to use one for a TT/RV, as the fact that it is a native 12V powered charger somewhat defeats the purpose. The iCharger also adds risk/complexity in if you select one of the "wrong" battery chemistries or configurations that you could cause harm to the battery or worse.

The manual for the charger itself even spells this out:

The issue with this charger is that it has several other chemistries that, if selected in error, could be quite dangerous. Additionally, very few users likely know the actual cell configuration of the battery they are charging. Some might even confuse LiPo, Lilo, and LiFe...and the outcome could be disastrous, depending on the actual lithium battery you connect it to.

These are perfectly fine chargers for R/C hobby, however for a TT it seems that a $200 12V power supply and a $190 multi-chemistry charger are a bit overkill. These chargers aren't designed for continuous use (e.g. maintaining voltage of a stored battery), a Battery Tender is the better choice. AFAIK, when the charge is "finished" the iCharger turns itself off entirely to avoid the problems that continuous voltage causes on the targeted audience's batteries.
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote