Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Belington , West Virginia
Best Battery operated CO and Smoke Detector

I am going to install detectors/alarms in my Argosy. The trailer is seeing very little use and I have decided to go with battery powered units as opposed to hardwired 12V models.

What brand battery powered CO and Smoke detectors do other forum members use or recommend? It seems like battery powered propane detectors are not as easy to find. Do they exist? If so, what brand is recommended.

Thanks, Roger

RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member
2004 28' International CCD
Allen , Texas
I have installed the DeTech brand in my house years ago. I have not installed one in my AS yet. They are the best, among other reasons it uses a lithium battery that last 10 years. I should warn you they are expinsive.

highsidepass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Belington , West Virginia
Thanks, I'll take a look at them. I expect you mean the detectors are expensive - not the lithium batteries, although I bet they're not cheap either.

RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
You may wish to pay particular attention to the two major sensing systems for battery powered smoke detectors. One is so very sensitive (cannot recall which at the moment) that a toaster will set it off. This is the one that came from the factory in our Airstream and we've moved it to the bedroom. The less sensitive unit we purchased at The Home Depot or Lowes and placed it in the main salon. It has a powerful little light that illuminates the floor when the alarm sounds. We test both units regularly and change the batteries at least once a year. Good luck in your research and decision making process. Don't forget the CO2/gas detector that should be mounted near the floor in the Galley area.
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet CO Detector

I have a Kidde 900-0146. It is battery powered and features a LCD display that “continuously displays a digital readout of the CO level in Parts Per Million (PPM). The digital display is capable of detecting and displaying readings between 30 and 999.” It will also display the highest level detected. I found the online information at, but I got mine at Wal-Mart.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
costco has the first alert for 20.00 model FCD4 on sale right now. this is a big month for sales for these items. it says, "provides the earliest alarm". i hope i don't regret that feature ;-)
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2000 31' Land Yacht
I recently bought a smoke detector, first alert I think, that has a built in lithium battery. You don't change the battery, just get a new detector after 10 years! Since you are supposed to replace any detector after 10 years, this seems like the way to go.

jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote