Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
You sound like "don't confuse me with the facts, I have my mind already set"
and "nothing personal" on top of that.

just what fact is it in my posts that causes you to assert that I am a bigot? did you even consider any other alternative?

It is well known that float service is abusive to lead acid batteries. Look for threads about how the old style converters often fried batteries, for instance.

Also, one example does not deny a statistical average, a generalization.

I suggested a means to constructively interpret your experience and you again come back with a personally abusive response.

I see this so often I wonder just what it is I say that stimulates such a response - one that doesn't even interpret the words I say in their common meaning.

Why do people have to attack others in these forums trying to contribute to a conversation with responses such as " On the contrary" and personal accusations (complete with denials)?

Why not look at your experience and try to fit it into the conversation instead of attacking someone? I did not deny or denigrate your experience, question your facts, or impugn your character. Instead, I tried to further define what I meant by abuse and to fit your experience into the general statement that you contested.

Again, what facts are supposedly confusing me? The fact that you can run a battery dead once or twice and not totally kill it? The fact that you can sit a battery on a shelf with a trickle charger and significantly shorten its life?

Is it possible to have a polite conversation around here without this kind of hostile response?

They wonder why there are so many lurkers in forums like this. Who'd want to chip in when there is such a risk that someone will jump all over them without even trying to see if their perceptions were on base? Why participate in a conversation with others who just don't care how much hurt they cause?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Sorry if the way I presented the fact offended you. Occasionally I am guilty of "spicing" the discussion, but that wasn't mine intention here.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #17

2007 19' Safari SE
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Thanks for all the advise, Tom
Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnickels
Simple question...
OK, by now you get the idea that there are none.

I suggest your next question be about the proper tow vehicle, balancing your running gear or politics.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
OK, by now you get the idea that there are none.

I suggest your next question be about the proper tow vehicle, balancing your running gear or politics.
....Or motor oil for your Tow Vehicle.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I had good luck with a set of Delco Voyager deep cycle grp 27 batteries made for RVs. They were installed in a '77 Excella 500 31' for 4 years without problems. Charging was done only by a BatteryMinder unit while at home or a Pulse Tech Solargizer 5 watt solar charger. This trailer spent months at a time in a deer camp with no shore power yet was used Fri. evening, Sat. and up to Sunday afternoon before leaving. A number of times I spent 4 days in the trailer before going home. Granted, I used lights sparingly and the '77 unit had no battery draw from the RM100 Dometic refrigerator, radio display or propane detector like you have today. I've heard that some people have used this maintenance free (not sealed) for up to 10 years before they failed. I believe it. I'm currently using one Trojan 27TMH with good results in my '86 Sovereign.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

somewhere , USA
L, it's your put down 'I am right' manner that puts people off. You have problems with this on every rv forum that you are active on.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnickels
Simple question...I have a 2006 Airstream Bambi. Want to have some back up 12 volt batteries. What would you suggest as to the brand name of best battery? Thanks, Tom

Also, is there a way to confirm that when trailer is plugged into tow vehicle that is in fact charging the batteries ?
i just bought two group 24DC batteries for my 'dream stream yesterday at Costco. $53.89 each plus tax. installed them myself for free.

for that price i could replace them every year, but they carry a 30 month warrenty.

k.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
L, it's your put down 'I am right' manner that puts people off. You have problems with this on every rv forum that you are active on.
that is something I do not assert - as you note it is a perception. It is a false perception and it says more about the perceiver than it does me.

I try very hard to listen to hear corrections, suggestions, and clarifications but it can be very hard for me to know what to do with them when I cannot connect them to what I said or meant. (and, no, this is not an invitation ...)

Any productive conversation will take all of us and picking on others does not lead to that goal. Let's stick to the topic at hand and what was actually said. Learn to tolerate others and accept them as they are while still being able to disagree or even hate (if you must). Make sure you know where you are coming from before taking off and creating others of your own dreams. Let them be who they are and see what they can contribute.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
I think ther are pros/cons, on both sides, get cheap batts., and replace them regularly/ versus expensive batts., and hope they last at least until warrenty is up. My experence is in the marine field, which is very hard on anything electrical in nature. One thing, the last several years has seen the EPA increasingly clamping down on the processes of refining the lead used in batts. I believe this leads to a lessening of the product quality for batt. uses.
My first set of Rolls lasted eight years in hard marine service. The second set lasted only three years. Both sets under same conditions.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
A lesser known but extremely popular battery is the Universal Battery AGM. We introduced it this winter and the performance is remarkable. I say lesser known because you rarely see it in it's generic form. It's private labeled by Cabelas and Bass Pro for use as their deep cycle trolling motor batteries. It's not a dual purpose like some marine batteries, it is true deep cycle. We have it without their label and its about 25-30% less expensive than Lifeline.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Opinion

Had an opinion....but upon reflection, maybe not.

-off

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
get cheap batts., and replace them regularly/ versus expensive batts., and hope they last at least until warrenty is up.
This is an assumption that I think needs some skepticism. There are too many significant variables to cloud the issue to make taking just one of them reasonable for a generic conclusion. For example, The Rolls is held in high regard yet we see a report of two experiences by the same person with significant difference between them.

This is a mature business with a lot of competition. That usually means that manufacturer names mean less and that price and value often have more to do with sourcing and logistics.

Quote:
It's not a dual purpose like some marine batteries, it is true deep cycle.
This is another concept that should be suspect. I see "true deep cycle" bandied about a lot without any good measure or defintion for it. The word "true" implies a binary or 'true' or 'not true' division that I do not see in any battery line. There are also questions about just how 'deep cycle' typical RV use really is.

A major solar vendor tech recently noted how Trojan stopped bragging about plate thickness. This fits with other evidence that there have been incremental improvements in battery manufacturing that provide the same benefit in less obvious ways - things like new materials, new plate compositions and structure, and so on.

There have also been some revolutionary improvements. The AGM is one but it really hasn't provided much benefit in terms of energy density or cost effectiveness. A new one that may provide those sorts of benefits is the Firefly project. That one is first coming to market for the trucking industry to provide an alternative to keeping the cab warm by engine idling. Then there are the super capacitors, lithium ion batteries, and other technologies that the effort for battery powered cars.

At least the cost of a typical RV battery isn't that high. That means that conclusions based on brand name, myths, statistical anomolies, poor data, or just plain obnoxious preference won't be too disasterous. Even when you take due care and apply sound reasoning, you can still end up with a bad choice. If it was all cut and dried, there would be no warranties.

The fact that RV use tends to have minimal warranties compared to SLI use is saying that it is much more difficult to pin down a use profile and maintenance pattern there. That may be a part of why some of these discussions get rather ugly, too.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
This is an assumption that I think needs some skepticism. \\ MASSIVE SNIP //
another thing i like about my $53.89 Costco Deep Cycle Batteries that i just installed yesterday... besides a full 100% replacement warrenty within 18 months (allow me to explain: "that would be free in Fargo"), the new series has an excellent safty feature, rarely explored.

k.