Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Apple Valley, CA , California
Best AGM Battery?

I need to replace the standard starting batt. in my 65' Globetrotter. I just bought a Inteli-power 9245 coverter and want to get a good quality AGM battery. Name brand is not necessary! Value for the $ is. What is the best AGM Battery on the market on a budget. My batt tray messures 14 x 6 -7/8". Dry camping, with a geni. Best, Max7

Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi max...

a few recent opinions...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ima-33611.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ine-38802.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ies-32463.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ery-39186.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
thanks...odd I did several "searches" and nothing... O well thanks!
Best, Max7

OH, BTW what Batt. do you run???
Old 02-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #4

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Lifeline AGM are considered by many to be one of the best. I have one and it is one great battery. They are not cheap. My Group 27 cost around $250.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by max7
...BTW what Batt. do you run???
hi max

currently this one... (x2)

but u will need to check the dimensions against your space then opt for a 24 or 27 or 31...

they've been as low as 25-30% several times without issues over the last 3 years, and 4 season camping

so i'm very satisfied and anticipate moving to 4 of them soon.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

1967 22' Safari
1977 27' Overlander
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
currently this one... (x2)
so i'm very satisfied and anticipate moving to 4 of them soon.
cheers
2air'
So Joe, where are you putting the other two? What size inverter do you have?
Bill & Kim's Marvelous Adventure
"I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries and a reprieve from my obligations".
Procrastinator's Creed

AIR 9218
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
I'm considering this any objections? : Battery Way - Universal Battery UB121100 (12V, 110AH) Battery
Old 02-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Max,
I'm confused, your original post mentions a starting battery - for a trailer??

Then you ask about the above battery which is not an AGM, which the title of the thread says you are looking for.

I think you'll get better advice if you specify more clearly what your needs/desires are.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
No experience with the battery yet but last month I purchased a Deka AGM Group 24 for $105 at the local autoparts shop. The only problem is that it took them 3 weeks to get the battery in the shop. Sadly a group 24 size is all the room I have in the factory battery box.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Max7,

FWIW, this site only says it is a sealed lead acid, with the electrolyte 'fixed in either a gel or absorptive glass mat'. Well which is it??? A 'gel' battery is a totally different animal from one that has the electrolyte 'suspended in an absorbed glass mat'.....the latter being the definition of an AGM battery!

Also, it says nothing about whether it is a 'starting' battery which is used for engine starting and NOT for RV purposes, or if it is a 'deep cycle' battery that is preferred for this purpose.

For some reason, it also seems that this particular battery might be 'made in China'. I would check out the country of origin before you buy.

Also, since battery service is so important, I would only buy one from a place where you could have one exchanged if yours fails within the warranty period (as some do). I would also keep to kown brands like Trojan, Lifeline, Sears, etc.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
the Inteli-power 9245 coverter may be a problem with AGM's as some do not like its charging and charge maintenance profile. Do check any 'equalization' charging process or voltage carefully against battery manufacturer's recommendations.

With that converter, you should have very low maintenance needs with a standard wet cell RV battery. That raises the question of just what you expect to get for the extra cost premium of an AGM (if that cost premium is of any concern), From the threads Joe linked, it does not appear that very many people have a solid handle on what these benefits actually are in term of how they benefit their RV needs. Note that code makes no exception for AGM's as far as battery compartment criteria goes even though many ignore code in installing them.

Also note that Cabella's has a house brand AGM at a good price.

One nice thing about AGM battteries is that they are easily shipped so mail order is a good option. Az Wind Sun, for instance, is a good source for Lifeline and some other, higher end, AGMs.

Lew has a good point about getting batteries from a reputable retailer. I'd add the criteria that he sells a lot of batteries to folks who use them like you do. The advice about warranties is also good although I haven't seen many RV batteries with decent warranty periods. Trojan is especially bad on this and Costco about as good as it gets from what I can tell.

As for the 'starting' thing: I think this is less of a concern than it might have been a few decades ago. AGM's can provide excellent high current characteristics as needed for SLI service and even so called "deep cycle" batteries have to be able to provide starter type currents as many use them to power microwave ovens and such things. There have been improvements in materials and construction that have helped smooth out the differences between SLI and RV type batteries. - and no battery in common use for RV service likes deep cycling anyway. Even AGM's shouldn't be pulled below 50% or so for best life.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Boise , Idaho
Lifeline is arguably the best but not the only good one. The Universal mentioned above is the EXACT same battery private labeled for Cabelas. We have it in the Universal label. We buy them direct from Universal Power Group. Same exact battery with different screen print. Like Lew said, it IS made in China but guess what....
Anyway, it is a rock solid battery and the ONLY battery Cheveron will use on their platforms. It just won't give up under the most demanding aplications and we tested it for several months before convinced. Anyway, don't be afraid of the Universal, or Cabelas (also Bass Pro) deep cycle but make sure you are not getting the dual purpose version as that is not the same construction. By the way, they want us to private lable them. Thought of a Airstream screen print to make you think they are for Airstreams! Think they will jump in our business if we did that? Probably pretty fast, lol. Kidding but it is doing very well in the field.
On edit, the PDI mentioned will do fine with an AGM. At least I've never had any luck damaging one with a 9160 and I try to.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Clarification

I had installed an Optima red top "starting battery" from my old pickup truck into my safari temporarily, while shopping for the correct battery style. Hence the question in reference to the AGM's, sorry to startle, hope that clears it up.

I ended up buying that UB 121100 Group 30 for $204.00 OTD local pickup.

I know its made in China, But I try to make it up by NOT shopping at WallMart.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Thumbs up

Hotdiggitydog...the Lifelines came to-day. Thank's Lewster for the quick service and great $.

PS...where is the build date?