Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #81
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
If I recall correctly technomadia was postulating that the loss of capacity was due to running the batteries at high temps, i.e. outside ambient in summer. If that's true you may want to move that battery inside. Also would help with charging while freezing.
I think you are right. They have a bus, and if I recall they were recording very high temps inside that storage compartment, like extremely high. They also had their HUGE inverter in there. And zero airflow.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #82
DSchell

1966 24' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
I posted earlier that I was going to visit the Battle Born facility as I live in Reno, NV. I did, it was great. They do all the assembly on property. I was well received and they gave me a thorough tour. I was particularly impressed with attention to detail in the assembly process. The individual cells were checked and matched twice for capacity then assembled into modules, then the modules were rechecked for capacity to insure there evenly balanced. The BMS were also checked 3 times. Needless to say I got a great tour, learned a lot about LiFePo4 batteries.
I bought 2 Batteries and an 60 amp converter charger, I hope to get started on the install in my 66' Trade Wind this week. When I do I will post some before and after pics. I am pretty exited about this project as it is the first update of the TWs electrical system since the original charger/converter gave out 20 years ago.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Nic challenger, please do keep us posted on your upgrade. Good luck, you will live the lithium performance.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #84
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Yea. Thanks for the update.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
dschellenger

I will be following your installation in earnest as I have a 66 Tradewind and plan to go to lithium some time in the future.

Will you be installing an inverter to take advantage of the extra power from the lithiums? I have a Zamp 1,000 watt inverter now bur will go to a 1,500 watt Samba when I install lithiums due to the extra battery capacity and physical space that the litiums will make available.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
dschell,

How is it working out withe your installation?
toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschellenger View Post
I posted earlier that I was going to visit the Battle Born facility as I live in Reno, NV. I did, it was great. They do all the assembly on property. I was well received and they gave me a thorough tour. I was particularly impressed with attention to detail in the assembly process. The individual cells were checked and matched twice for capacity then assembled into modules, then the modules were rechecked for capacity to insure there evenly balanced. The BMS were also checked 3 times. Needless to say I got a great tour, learned a lot about LiFePo4 batteries.
I bought 2 Batteries and an 60 amp converter charger, I hope to get started on the install in my 66' Trade Wind this week. When I do I will post some before and after pics. I am pretty exited about this project as it is the first update of the TWs electrical system since the original charger/converter gave out 20 years ago.
Doug
Thank you for coming by to visit. It was a pleasure to meet you and we appreciate you taking the time to stop in. Please let me know if we can help you at all, as you build out your new system. We are happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and seeing the final system.

Sean
battlebornli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 AM   #88
DSchell

1966 24' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
An update to my post of a few weeks ago, to get started. I want to install the batteries in the bay where the original was. There is a limited amount of space but they will fit. I will put the converter / charger where the original was installed. this seems like the easiest way to get started and get the system up and running.

A side note on Battle Born Batteries. I really praised them in my visit. The attention to detail in the assembly was most impressive. For instance, and this should apply to anyone thinking of having the batteries shipped to them. The packing is top notch. There is a custom made high impact foam retainer around the battery that makes it immovable in its box, just another detail they looked after.

Another side note, if any one wants give a Magnetek 3240 PX a good home and will use it, not try to resell it I will part with it for shipping and a modest packing fee. I just want to see it get used.

I will try and upload pics of the bay , one with the a new bat in the old bat position, any suggestions are welcome. I am thinking of mounting [2] them in a 'T' where the original sat, I will have to modify the battery tray to do so, or I could mount one on either side of the toilet plumbing, then I would have to build or buy another tray.

p.s. also bought led replacement bulbs...should cut down on some power usage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1833.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	285655   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1834.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	285656  

Name:	DSCN1828.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	285658  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #89

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
An update to my post of a few weeks ago, to get started. I want to install the batteries in the bay where the original was. There is a limited amount of space but they will fit. I will put the converter / charger where the original was installed. this seems like the easiest way to get started and get the system up and running.

A side note on Battle Born Batteries. I really praised them in my visit. The attention to detail in the assembly was most impressive. For instance, and this should apply to anyone thinking of having the batteries shipped to them. The packing is top notch. There is a custom made high impact foam retainer around the battery that makes it immovable in its box, just another detail they looked after.

Another side note, if any one wants give a Magnetek 3240 PX a good home and will use it, not try to resell it I will part with it for shipping and a modest packing fee. I just want to see it get used.

I will try and upload pics of the bay , one with the a new bat in the old bat position, any suggestions are welcome. I am thinking of mounting [2] them in a 'T' where the original sat, I will have to modify the battery tray to do so, or I could mount one on either side of the toilet plumbing, then I would have to build or buy another tray.

p.s. also bought led replacement bulbs...should cut down on some power usage
I was wondering how the update went. I was hoping to have dropped in a little while a go but a major snow storm delayed my travels. Next time .

Thanks
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 AM   #90
DSchell

1966 24' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
ok...worked late into the night, there is light in the Airstream!. Progressive Dynamics converter /charger is working flawlessly. 1 Battle Born battery is hooked up and charging [14.60 volts] . Will mount second battery when I buy or fabricate a battery tray similar to the original. Once the battery is fully charged I will run it though its paces. Installation was fairly straight forward, moved the converter/charger into the closet in rear bath. up and away from any potential water leakage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1840.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	285855   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1842.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	285856  

Name:	DSCN1844.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	285857  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
ok...worked late into the night, there is light in the Airstream!. Progressive Dynamics converter /charger is working flawlessly. 1 Battle Born battery is hooked up and charging [14.60 volts] . Will mount second battery when I buy or fabricate a battery tray similar to the original. Once the battery is fully charged I will run it though its paces. Installation was fairly straight forward, moved the converter/charger into the closet in rear bath. up and away from any potential water leakage.
Doug,
We are happy to hear your install is going well. Looks like you are close to the next phase of your project. Please let us know how we can help.

Also if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out. We look forward to coming by and seeing the trailer once its all done.

Sean
Old 05-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:

dschell

I built a wood shelf over the sink drain line and the electrical conduit line for my "Curve" porta potty toilet and to replace the metal shelf to support my two golf cart batteries and my Zamp inverter. I used 3/4" wood; I could have used something thinner I suppose, but it is not very big and the shelf is solid. One advantage of the toilet is that it is removable to get access to the batteries and to my 9245 PD converter. This setup works great for us. The black water tank now becomes the gray water tank. We only pea in the toilet and just dump it in a regular toilet about every few days.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8213.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	285942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8196.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	285943  

Name:	IMG_8215.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	285944  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #93
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Well, mine are in. 3 x 100 ah.

The folks at Battle Born were great to work with. Answered all my questions and I'm confident these will be good long term. Will try to report back from time to time.

Name:	20170611_122042.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	287338

Name:	20170611_100010.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	287339
Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #94
DSchell

1966 24' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
nice clean install
Old 06-13-2017, 01:29 AM   #95
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
nice clean install
Thank you. For the time being I only wired the 12v trailer circuits. I have a Victron 700 on the way. When that arrives I will install it along with the inverter wiring. Then a solar charge controller as well.

While i will try otherwise, things might get a bit messy...
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reno , Nevada
Scott,
Your install looks great. Please let us know if we can answer anymore questions for you. We are happy to help.

Please stop in and see us when you get out west.

Sean
Quote:
Well, mine are in. 3 x 100 ah.

The folks at Battle Born were great to work with. Answered all my questions and I'm confident these will be good long term. Will try to report back from time to time.

Attachment 287338

Attachment 287339
Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #97
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlebornli View Post
Scott,
Your install looks great. Please let us know if we can answer anymore questions for you. We are happy to help.

Please stop in and see us when you get out west.

Sean
Thanks Sean. See you in December!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
interesting thread. subscribed
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Not bad looking. I'll be watching.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 AM   #100
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Thank you. For the time being I only wired the 12v trailer circuits. I have a Victron 700 on the way. When that arrives I will install it along with the inverter wiring. Then a solar charge controller as well.

While i will try otherwise, things might get a bit messy...
Victron and inverter wiring is in. Batteries still rocking. I'm plugged in now so have discharged them much. But they are still behaving well.

And I'm loving the victron battery monitor with bluetooth.