Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Battery Wiring - 2005 Classic 30

I am perplexed, maybe someone can straighten me out here!

Our last trailer (non-AS) had a single battery, our AS has two - I just replaced them with AGM batteries.

I assumed that the two 12v batteries were just wired in parallel so that the full ampere-hour capacity of bothe batteries would be available for running 12 stuff in the trailer when not on shore power.

But .... I've been persusing the manual that came with the trailer before we head out on our first long trip next month, and if I am interpreting the wiring diagram properly, it looks like one battery is wired directly to feed only the breakaway switch to the trailer brakes, and the second battery gives "hotel service" power to the trailer.

Seems strange and would mean that under normal circumstances I'm only getting use of one battery in the trailer for lighting.

I guess if this is right, it would at least ensure power for brakes under emergency but seems an awful waste of battery power when you might need it for dry camping. I suppose you could always swap the batteries if you ran one low - and trust that the other battery would charge up quickly enough next time you are towing in order to protect the emergency breakaway feature

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no electrician and I may be misreading the wiring diagram, but it seems clear.

can anyone confirm how these batteries are wired on an 05 Classic 30?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I got no reply on my query - below - probably because I'm so long-winded!

I'd just like to know if the two house batteries in a 2006 AS are normally connected in parallel to feed all 12 needs in the trailer.

I thought that is the way they would be, but if I am interpreting the wiring diagram in my AS manual, it looks to me as though one of the two batteries does nothing other than provide a power source for the trailer brakes in the event the breakaway switch is activated.

Anyone know if this is in fact the case? If so, I guess I could understand the safety aspect, but it seems awfully wastefull of one battery's capacity.

I suppose I can determine this myself by disconnecting one battery at a time and checking what is alive, but my trailer is not at the house.

Thanks ...... Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I am perplexed, maybe someone can straighten me out here!

Our last trailer (non-AS) had a single battery, our AS has two - I just replaced them with AGM batteries.

I assumed that the two 12v batteries were just wired in parallel so that the full ampere-hour capacity of bothe batteries would be available for running 12 stuff in the trailer when not on shore power.

But .... I've been persusing the manual that came with the trailer before we head out on our first long trip next month, and if I am interpreting the wiring diagram properly, it looks like one battery is wired directly to feed only the breakaway switch to the trailer brakes, and the second battery gives "hotel service" power to the trailer.

Seems strange and would mean that under normal circumstances I'm only getting use of one battery in the trailer for lighting.

I guess if this is right, it would at least ensure power for brakes under emergency but seems an awful waste of battery power when you might need it for dry camping. I suppose you could always swap the batteries if you ran one low - and trust that the other battery would charge up quickly enough next time you are towing in order to protect the emergency breakaway feature

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no electrician and I may be misreading the wiring diagram, but it seems clear.

can anyone confirm how these batteries are wired on an 05 Classic 30?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Brian, as no-one with a similar trailer has responded, I'll give you my humble opinion. On every Airstream I've looked at the two batteries are in parallel, so as to produce 12 volts with the benefit of summing the amp-hour capacity of the two. The main 12v distribution box has two busbars, one for + and one for -. These are thick metal bars with high amp capacity which act as central dispersal points for the DC. When these bars are drawn in the wiring diagram it may not be apparant that all the wires attached to each busbar are electrically connected.
The only sure way to know is to get under the front sofa (or whatever you have) and follow the wires to the batteries, but I suspect the batteries are in parallel.
Nick.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Wingeezer

Can not help you with the 05-06 but the 07 Classic dual 12 volts are wired in parallel. The 07 batteries do not receive a charge from the charge line (black pin 4) of the 7 pin socket, only from the converter or solar (if fitted).

Breakaway feed is from + Bus, red or orange.

Regards, John
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
Brian, as no-one with a similar trailer has responded, I'll give you my humble opinion. On every Airstream I've looked at the two batteries are in parallel, so as to produce 12 volts with the benefit of summing the amp-hour capacity of the two. The main 12v distribution box has two busbars, one for + and one for -. These are thick metal bars with high amp capacity which act as central dispersal points for the DC. When these bars are drawn in the wiring diagram it may not be apparant that all the wires attached to each busbar are electrically connected.
The only sure way to know is to get under the front sofa (or whatever you have) and follow the wires to the batteries, but I suspect the batteries are in parallel.
Nick.

Thanks Nick - you may have put your finger on it with your comment about the wiring diagram in the manual - maybe it isn't a wiring diagram per se but just a "sketch" of what you see.

It surely seemed to me that the batteries would be wired in parallel.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 to .... View Post
Wingeezer

Can not help you with the 05-06 but the 07 Classic dual 12 volts are wired in parallel. The 07 batteries do not receive a charge from the charge line (black pin 4) of the 7 pin socket, only from the converter or solar (if fitted).

Breakaway feed is from + Bus, red or orange.

Regards, John
Thanks John, together with the comment i received from Nick, I'm sure you are right - I just got confused by the diagram in the AS manual that makes it look as though the two batteries are not interconnected.

I'm surprised at what you say about the 07 batteries not receiving charge from the charge line. Why the heck would AS do that??!! It would mean that someone dry camping without solar charging would have no way to charge up their batts between camping stops. Very odd.

I'm going to have to take another look at my manual now to see if it says or shows anything about that subject!

Thanks again ........ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Thanks John, together with the comment i received from Nick, I'm sure you are right - I just got confused by the diagram in the AS manual that makes it look as though the two batteries are not interconnected.

I'm surprised at what you say about the 07 batteries not receiving charge from the charge line. Why the heck would AS do that??!! It would mean that someone dry camping without solar charging would have no way to charge up their batts between camping stops. Very odd.

I'm going to have to take another look at my manual now to see if it says or shows anything about that subject!

Thanks again ........ Brian.

I just took a look at my manual and it states:

"The charge in the 12v batteries is replenished when towing or when plugged
into 110v city power"

That is what I would have expected. I thought all RV's were set up this way - are you sure that your 2007 doesn't charge thru the charge line in the
seven pin plug?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Brian,

Certain that is how it's wired in 07. There are other threads describing this
anomily. Crazy isn't it!! Yes, the electrical description in our manual does
state the batteries are charged via pin 4. However, wiring diagram shows
black wire going to actibrake only. I have traced our black wire and it does
not go to the batteries only to the actibrake.

Airstream use the black wire exclusively to power the actibrake even
though there is a secondary feed, brown wire, to the actibrake from the
trailer + bus.

Keep those kneez in the breez!

John
Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
the 1989 34' (AS) we have has 2 12v parallel batteries that have never received a charge from the tow vehical, only from land power and solar.
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Brian,

Certain that is how it's wired in 07. There are other threads describing this
anomily. Crazy isn't it!! Yes, the electrical description in our manual does
state the batteries are charged via pin 4. However, wiring diagram shows
black wire going to actibrake only. I have traced our black wire and it does
not go to the batteries only to the actibrake.

Airstream use the black wire exclusively to power the actibrake even
though there is a secondary feed, brown wire, to the actibrake from the
trailer + bus.

Keep those kneez in the breez!

John

John,

Not sure what the actibrake is. Is it the name of the new disc brake setup, and if so, is there some sort of electric/hydraulic pump on the trailer to power the brakes?

I had not come across the other thread about lack of charging from the tow vehicles, I wonder if it is possible, without screwing anything up, to alter wiring so that the coach batts do get a charge from the tow vehicle.

As for keeping kneez in the breez, that will be the first thing on the agenda when we get home from a planned AS trip to Caliofornia next month!

I hope to maybe talk the Mrs into a trip to Canada's East coast in the Spring, built a little luggage trailer for the bike which makes multiple day, two up trips much more practical and enjoyable!

Cheers ........... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
the 1989 34' (AS) we have has 2 12v parallel batteries that have never received a charge from the tow vehical, only from land power and solar.
Hmmmmm!

You guys have me wondering now! I guess that despite what my manual says, next time I bring the trailer to the house, I'd better check the battery terminal voltage both with & without a running tow vehicle attached to see what's up.

Sure hope I'm getting a battery charge from the tow vehicle. The AS is new to us but not RV'ing, and counting on a charge when we are towing has allways been a part of my RV-ing planning!

If it turns out that there is no charge from the TV, I guess I'll be doing a search to see how easy it is to modify things!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Brian,

Actibrake is just the electric/hydraulic actuator for disc brakes.

You wont screw anything up by taking charge wire straight to batteries - its been done that way for centuries. I plan to do it in the next few weeks.

Our 07 owners manual for 25' classic shows wiring diagram for electric drum brakes. Had to send to Airstream for correct wiring schematic. No wonder there's confusion.

John
Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Brian,

Actibrake is just the electric/hydraulic actuator for disc brakes.

You wont screw anything up by taking charge wire straight to batteries - its been done that way for centuries. I plan to do it in the next few weeks.

Our 07 owners manual for 25' classic shows wiring diagram for electric drum brakes. Had to send to Airstream for correct wiring schematic. No wonder there's confusion.

John

Yep, I'll do what I have to do!

I didn't realize before that you are in the UK.

My wife and I originated there. I came to Canada as a yound child when my folks emigrated, but met my wife when I returned to school in teh UK after university in Canada.

In still have some relatives not too far from you - in Huddersfield.

Last trip over, maybe five years ago, we stayed in Whitby and did some hiking around "Heartbeat Country!" Wonderful area!

Cheers ....... Brian.

(PS is that a spring wound Triang or Hornby in your photo?!)

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Brian,

The wire from pin 4 needs to go to both batteries. After a journey you need some juice for tongue jack and corner steadies (if electric).

We spend a lot of our time near Whitby especially the North Yorkshire Moors.
Yes, its a very nice area. Kendal is our mailing address - we are full timers.

I keep my train set in drawer under couch and set up the layout if the campground has a level surface. Loco's are 'O' gauge, one Basset Lowke clockwork and the other Basset Lowke live steam. All track and rolling stock is post-war Hornby.

John