Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Battery water levels

I checked the water levels in my two batteries today. They have been in storage for four and a half months. They are hooked up to a solar array that keeps them charged.
In one battery all cells were low on water but still above the plates.
The other battery had two cells that are still topped up and four that were down. Is this an indication of faulty cells.
The batteries are five years old and have worked well so far.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
You can buy a hydrometer and check the charge on each cell of each battery. If one or more of the cells is weak it will draw more charge and other cells might boil out the acid. It just means you need to keep an eye on the water level more frequently.

I'm still new in the AS area but I've had deep cycle batteries in my boat for a very long time. Using the hydrometer helps you monitor the charge in each cell and locate weak cells so you know a battery replacement is on the horizon.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Hydrometer recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
You can buy a hydrometer and check the charge on each cell of each battery. If one or more of the cells is weak it will draw more charge and other cells might boil out the acid. It just means you need to keep an eye on the water level more frequently.
Can you recommend a brand/model of hydrometer? I have a little cheap one with five floating balls I got from an auto parts stores. It doesn't give a very precise reading, and it doesn't compensate for temperature.
SSquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
Sounds like they need equalizing. The hydrometer will tell you.
TomJ
Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Thanks for the info. I will dig up the hydrometer and go check next weekend when it's supposed to be warmer.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The batteries may last you a bit longer, but if the cells are using water at differing rates, my experience is that they are probably going to need replacing soon. One indication of failing batteries is higher than normal water consumption.

Someone suggested an equalizing charge, which also may be in order, if you have equipment to do it, but most of the RV charging systems don't have that capability. Some solar charge controllers do, but not all, and often the panel capacity is not sufficient to provide a proper equalizing charge in any event.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Can you recommend a brand/model of hydrometer? I have a little cheap one with five floating balls I got from an auto parts stores. It doesn't give a very precise reading, and it doesn't compensate for temperature.
I bought mine quite some time ago and I'm surprised at how difficult it is to find a good one locally anymore. It's a very good tool to have.

I found a nice one at Amazon, with temperature compensation and very reasonably priced if you can get free shipping. Suggested items include the squeeze bulb battery filler and the auto shutoff 2-qt battery filler. I think I'll look at getting those for myself.
OTC 4619 Professional Battery Hydrometer
Amazon.com: OTC 4619 Professional Battery Hydrometer: Automotive
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The batteries may last you a bit longer, but if the cells are using water at differing rates, my experience is that they are probably going to need replacing soon. One indication of failing batteries is higher than normal water consumption.
I agree. The weaker cells are going to keep the charger running longer and boiling out the acid from the stronger cells. Charges will take longer and water will be required more often. The charge won't last as long either. It's kind of like mixing old and new dry cell batteries.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Batteries constantly need topping up.

We traded our 2008 20ft in last August to a 2014 25ft International. My batteries in the 2008 were still in great condition when we traded after 6 years and I only had to top them up twice a year. I was very surprised when I went to winterize the new trailer in November that one of the batteries had the tops of the plates showing and the other one was close.I had never had that happen to a battery before. I brought them in,topped them up and put them on the charger to top up the charge. I checked them 2 weeks ago when I put them back in the trailer and one was low again.Topped it up and then today after the trailer had been plugged in for about 14 days checked again. Again I had to add water.
When this first happened in the fall I took them to Interstate to have them checked as the charge levels were all over the place,as checked with a good hydrometer..They monitored them for a week and told me that there was nothing wrong with them,and that I must have done something wrong.I told them I had treated them the same as my last 2 Airstreams with the same batteries and had had no problems.
Could it be a problem with the charging unit in the trailer? Has anyone else had as much trouble with the stock Interstate batteries,or the converter charger boiling batteries?
George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Yes I had to replace my stock interstate batteries after 5 months ,and they were out of warranty because the batteries were installed in the trailer over a year (sat at the dealer)and there's only a one year warrantee on batteries, well the reason the batteries failed is the batteries were always low on charge while at the airstream dealer,if the batteries are always below 50 % charge they will never get fully charged as these batteries are not a real deep cycle batteries as there plates are thin the way you can tell if the battery is not a true deep cycle battery is if it states cold cranking amps it's not a real deep cycle battery.
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I've sold a great hydrometer in my battery shop for years that's made by
EzRed co....

Amazon sells em...:

http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Red-SP101-...keywords=sp101

Heres the data from EzRed's site...

http://www.ezred.com/product/battery-hydrometer/

I like these hydrometers as they are unbreakable, lay flat, easy to read...
Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
On my past trailers I have always checked the battery levels at least once a month during the season when it is plugged in which is why the have lasted for 6 years in the case of my previous trailer.
This trailer was a factory order which was picked up just days after it's arrival to the dealers lot. Part of the PDI they performed was to check the levels of the battery cells.
What I am trying to find out before I go back to the Interstate dealer is whether or not this could be a fault of the Magnatec 7355 or not?
George
Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
The on board charger works to charge batteries but doesn't do a equalize charge this is very important because off season the battery is not bounces around to stir up the acid mix in the battery ,a equalizing charge brings the voltage up somewhere around 16 volts (this depends on the settings of charger if adjustable) and the battery type ,flooded acid ,gell,or glass mat,this higher voltage causes bubbles in the acid and stir up the acid,it also cause each cell of the battery to equalize through normal chemical action of a lead acid battery but because of higher voltage it cleans the lead plates (desulfication) lead acid batteries should go through this process at least 3-4 times a year also this higher equalization charge should last from 1-2 hours on normal lead acid batteries some agm batteries this could be 8 hours ,depends on battery type and the use of your battery also you should never discharge your battery less then 50% and if your always putting water in your battery I would check your on board charger it could be overcharging your batteries ,you must have a good battery installed to check voltage,
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
I've sold a great hydrometer in my battery shop for years that's made by
EzRed co....

Amazon sells em...:

http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Red-SP101-...keywords=sp101

Heres the data from EzRed's site...

http://www.ezred.com/product/battery-hydrometer/

I like these hydrometers as they are unbreakable, lay flat, easy to read...
Thanks for the heads up on the hydrometer. I have another style that works, but is a bit more cumbersome. I found an E-Z-Red today at a parts store. Wow, US price on Amazon $7.65. Parts store here, $21.( Canadian )
Have to find an in at the store. LOL
George
Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Found an in! $9.95. Now I will be able to check the batteries properly till my new Trimetric 2030RV gets here.
Dealer has offered to start over from scratch with a brand new set of batteries as well.
George