Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #61
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Bob - yes, from what I found on a Google search, a sheath can be electrical tape applied in overlapping wraps or a plastic tube or a conduit. Sounds like the corrugated tube that I use to organize wiring may be an option if it is the type without a slit up the side. The pictures of the inverter compartment show that type of material in use. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #62
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Bob - yes, from what I found on a Google search, a sheath can be electrical tape applied in overlapping wraps or a plastic tube or a conduit. Sounds like the corrugated tube that I use to organize wiring may be an option if it is the type without a slit up the side. The pictures of the inverter compartment show that type of material in use. Pat
Hi

The plastic "spiral wrap" stuff you see used for organizing cables in home entertainment systems is not a bad option. Its reasonably cheap / easy to get. It also comes on and off fairly quickly when you need to do this or that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #63
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Bob, thanks for the explanation and material suggestion. Certainly was not what I imagined would be acceptable, but suspect the objective is to isolate the power conductor insulation from abrasion. The corrugated plastic wrap or tube does that function with minimal weight and is not nearly as messy as electrical tape. Another lesson learned. Pat
Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #64
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Visited my local Camping World today and found a nice selection of small fuses and low amperage switches. However there were no high amp rated components in the inventory. No bus bars, large breakers or heavy cable. No ANL or T-class fuses. The internet may be your best friend when purchasing such. Pat
Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #65
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Amazon is one source (for almost anything).

A very good one is:

https://shop.pkys.com

The big advantage of that one is that Peter (the owner) is actually a trained boat electrical guy. If you have questions (like about "what's a sheath") he's qualified to answer them. He's also a very nice guy. You will not find the "car stereo" stuff at PKYS, but it sounds like that's not what you are after anyway.

Bob
Old 06-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #66
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
--snip --https://shop.pkys.com-- snip --
Bob, thanks for that recommendation. The website has come up on search, but with no first hand knowledge, it got ignored.

Pat
Old 06-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #67
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Bob, thanks for that recommendation. The website has come up on search, but with no first hand knowledge, it got ignored.

Pat
Hi

I've bought from him online multiple times. I've been down to the store and bought in person. I've spend days shooting emails back and forth on obscure issues with odd parts. I've called several times for quick info. I've always gotten first rate service from Peter.

Bob
Old 06-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #68
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Found parts at a new West Marine store in Alameda. Not everything, but most of the pieces. They even have a lug press in their wiring section.

Pulled up Pkys.com and all of the components needed for the plan. Everything is in stock and for considerably less cost than what I'm finding elsewhere.

Great recommendation. Pat
Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #69
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Found parts at a new West Marine store in Alameda. Not everything, but most of the pieces. They even have a lug press in their wiring section.

Pulled up Pkys.com and all of the components needed for the plan. Everything is in stock and for considerably less cost than what I'm finding elsewhere.

Great recommendation. Pat
Hi

Thanks.

West Marine has never been the low price leader

In some cases, PKYS prices are below what you will see on Amazon. Everything I've got from him has shipped out the same day. In some cases it has shipped within minutes of my placing the order.

I *do* seem to have a pile of stuff lying here on the floor after the projects are all completed. I can't really say that is his problem thought Sometimes I wonder if planning might need to be a bit higher on the priority list .....

Bob
Old 06-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #70
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Peter was helpful.

Yes, extra stuff. Planning makes a difference in reducing the left overs and helps to value engineer the project for cost and quality. Learning a lot with this one. Pat
Old 06-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #71
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Parts from Peter arrived yesterday about 5:00pm. Nice delivery schedule, considering no special handling and free shipping. Glimmer comes home on Monday, so we can develop a routing plan and size the cable. Pat
Old 06-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #72
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Parts from Peter arrived yesterday about 5:00pm. Nice delivery schedule, considering no special handling and free shipping. Glimmer comes home on Monday, so we can develop a routing plan and size the cable. Pat
Hi

Glad the order got there ok. I can drive down (2 hours each way) and pick things up if needed so judging shipping at that distance is probably not fair to other outfits.

Cables that are slightly too long will still work fine. Cables that are 1/2" to short .... not so much. I have a lot of 1/2" to short cables lying around here .... One of the reasons I like a hydraulic crimper (over a smash it with a hammer version) is that you can pull long runs first and *then* cut them. It's still not 100% guaranteed, but the odds go up.

Bob
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #73
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Original plan was to order the cables from BB, but their choice is 1/0 or 4awg. Probably OK and they do offer 12" length, however that 1/2" too short is a consideration and for at least the battery leads, 2/0 may be the final choice. The flexibility of custom length and size has the promise of an organized install.

Good suggestion to install the cable lugs in place on those long runs. Also works for cables that need to be modified when you don't want to pull them out of the original install. Got to get me one of those lug press tools somehow. Pat
Old 06-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #74
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Original plan was to order the cables from BB, but their choice is 1/0 or 4awg. Probably OK and they do offer 12" length, however that 1/2" too short is a consideration and for at least the battery leads, 2/0 may be the final choice. The flexibility of custom length and size has the promise of an organized install.

Good suggestion to install the cable lugs in place on those long runs. Also works for cables that need to be modified when you don't want to pull them out of the original install. Got to get me one of those lug press tools somehow. Pat
Hi

Most of us here struggle with the Chinese / metric hydraulic tools off of Amazon. Basically the price is right . The dies are not correct of US lugs so it takes care to do proper crimps. One *could* go with metric lugs and metric cable. Sourcing that in the US would be a chore though .....

I also have a major inventory of "stock length" short cables from Amazon in just about every color, wire size, lug size (each end ...), and length. The only one I never seem to have it that one I happen to need this time ....

Bob
Old 06-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #75
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The research I did last night reinforces the challenges you report with respect to the Chinese product. But as you say, folks make them work with a fiddle or two.

Shopping time coming soon. Pat
Old 07-01-2019, 05:15 AM   #76
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
IMO the best crimper is one like this (below). You can pay more for a better one, but this does the job. I was crimping using the metric cheapy, so called 16 ton, off of Amazon and it works. Dies fall out and don't even fit the tool properly.

https://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Red-B7946...ateway&sr=8-44
Old 07-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #77
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
WW - that is an interesting crimper. It looks like the die makes the crimp in a very localized area as opposed to swaging a large area of the lug barrel. Do you crimp multiple times or is once enough.

This tool is what I am considering. It is more expensive, but the Temnco brand is available on-line for less and West Marine has one that can be used in the store. Any idea as to the utility of the various tools?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-sKit...-206369453-_-N

Pat
Old 07-02-2019, 04:01 AM   #78
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Just once, Pat. Clamped into a vise You can get a perfect crimp every time and it practically fits in your pocket. Another point is being able to see what you’re doing to control placement and orientation.
Clint
Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #79
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unless the terminals you are using are designed for a single crimp, it's not a good idea to use a tool like that.

Bob
Old 07-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi
Unless the terminals you are using are designed for a single crimp, it's not a good idea to use a tool like that.
Bob

Agree. Below is a picture of my crimper and the closed end lug type it was designed for. I have always thought that if you only have a few large wires to crimp it is better to order the complete assembly online with the wire size, type and color; correct lug size and shrink wrap applied. The only issue is you have to know the exact length.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190702_095556.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	345162  
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote