Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Apple Valley , California
Battery Type

Can you use a car battery in a 1970 sovereign? Or infact, in any airstream? Thanks.
Beverly II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
A car battery would work but for a very sort time. Car batteries are designed for fast discharges at very high amperage, that is what is needed to start a car. They are not designed to be deeply discharged and charged over and over. A deep cycle or RV battery is designed for long slow discharge as is seen running lights in an RV or running a trolling motor on a bass boat. That is the quick answer, tons have been written about battery selection here on the forms and you can search them.
Also here is a link for more info on battery selection and types: The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Some folks are quite happy using SLI (starting, lights, ignition) batteries in their RV. The differences are matters of degree and not kind for the kinds of modern batteries commonly found in RV's.

There are several reasons for this. One is that most RV's are not in continuous use. Another is that RV batteries are seldom discharged very far - deep cycling shortens any battery's life and RVers usually need sufficient reserves to avoid deep cycling as a regular thing, anyway.

Also keep in mind that there are only 250 weekends in a typical 5 year battery life. Even an SLI battery will handle that cycle rate if discharged as typical RV batteries usually are.

The key for battery life is mostly in your charging and maintenance equipment and in your use and management.

Do get a battery designed for your intended use. Buy from a retailer who sells a lot to folks that use batteries like you do, offers a good warranty, and will stand behind what he sells.

Don't get hornswoggled by all the battery myths being promulgated with vigor in forums and elsewhere. Look for actual objective measure that a manufacturer or retailer will stand behind.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Buy a 12v deep cycle or marine/rv battery. You'll be much happier with a deep cycle battery rather than a standard car battery.

If you intend on using the battery compartment in your Sovereign, the largest battery for that compartment would be a Size 27.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "You'll be much happier with a deep cycle battery" -- could you define the terms here in some way that we can all measure?

Just what is a "deep cycle battery" in some measure we can find in a spec sheet or warranty or actually measure ourselves?

Just what you mean by "much happier"? How can this be measured?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
re: "You'll be much happier with a deep cycle battery" -- could you define the terms here in some way that we can all measure?

Just what is a "deep cycle battery" in some measure we can find in a spec sheet or warranty or actually measure ourselves?

Just what you mean by "much happier"? How can this be measured?
Wow, Bryan. Are you saying you'd rather use a 12v car battery than a RV/Marine Deep Cycle battery for regular RV travel trailer use?

4CU 1st VP

Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I would suggest that if you already have the battery sitting around go ahead and use it.
If you have to spend money, buy a deep cycle battery
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "Wow, Bryan. Are you saying you'd rather use ..." -- no. I am saying that we should not jump to conclusions about other people's happiness and we need to be very careful about extrapolating and exaggerating differences between things, especially when the terms are ambiguous or undefined.

If you read my previous post, you'd see that my opinion was that folks ought to by a battery intended for how they plan to use it, from a retailer who sells a lot to folks that use them like that, offers a good warranty, and stands behind what he sells.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly II View Post
Can you use a car battery in a 1970 sovereign? Or infact, in any airstream? Thanks.
Yes. They will work OK, and most automotive batteries will fit.

The main problem is that it is not possible to top off the electrolyte with distilled water, which will limit the battery life in many cases. The lack of a deep cycle design will also limit the battery life.

But, if you have an automotive battery sitting around unused, or can get a cheap one somewhere, it will work OK for a year or two, in most cases.

If you are buying a new battery than seeking out a deep cycle battery and paying, possibly, a little more, will provide a battery that performs better and lasts longer.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Walmart sells deep cycle/marine batteries in 24 and 27 sizes for under $70. They are manufactured by DEKA. They cost the same as equivalent sized car batteries and have a 3 year warranty.

This is a no-brainer.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Just FWIW, I would recommend at minimum using a marine style deep cycle battery. That said, few years ago I switched to Trojan ( Trojan Battery Company ) T 105 6V golf cart batteries and have not looked back. Whereas I was constantly replacing the Marine style Deep Cycle Batteries (we boondock a lot and they get abused a bit) the Trojans are still going strong. BTW they make a variety of sizes of true deep cycle batteries.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have Marine Batteries Group 27 in the Overlander. I think(without consulting the receipt) they are on thier 3rd season. I slide them out and check the water once a month. My batteries came from AUTO ZONE. I think at the time they had the biggest bang for the buck. I do however take them out over winter and store them with a trickle charger . Completely happy with the service so far. IF you have automotive batterys available,use em for the remainder of the season and see how they work for you. But I would seriously consider investing in Deep Cycle Marine batteries and the brand don't really matter,they are about all the same. Go for warranty. Make sure what ever brand you buy,that they are service type batteries. The one's you can take the caps off and visually check the water, keeping the water above the plates is a must and always use distilled water.
GOOD LUCK with what ever you decide.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
re: "Wow, Bryan. Are you saying you'd rather use ..." -- no. I am saying that we should not jump to conclusions about other people's happiness and we need to be very careful about extrapolating and exaggerating differences between things, especially when the terms are ambiguous or undefined.

If you read my previous post, you'd see that my opinion was that folks ought to by a battery intended for how they plan to use it, from a retailer who sells a lot to folks that use them like that, offers a good warranty, and stands behind what he sells.
Fair enough, Bryan. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

4CU 1st VP

Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Buy a 12v deep cycle or marine/rv battery. You'll be much happier with a deep cycle battery rather than a standard car battery.

If you intend on using the battery compartment in your Sovereign, the largest battery for that compartment would be a Size 27.
Hi, Mike!

Are you saying that is the size that would fit the "custom" compartment in my '74 as well? It has formed plastic "fillers" that I guess hold the battery in place.

A size 27 will go in there, though?

That would make me much happier to know.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
STARTING batteries are built with many, thin plates, with more porous separators that are conducive to providing a large, quick discharge that's needed by a starter motor to spin the engine...

DEEP CYCLE batteries, on the other hand, have thicker battery plates, with separators that are less porous and keep the plates in place better during the expansion and contraction that takes place during long periods of use and recharging 'cycles'...

STARTING batteries need lots of plate 'area' to provide their quick burst of energy, and their thinner type plates can break down easier if used in DEEP CYCLE battery applications...

You should ALWAYS select a DEEP CYCLE battery for an RV's 'coach' use (lights, pumps, etc)...and I'd always get the largest battery (in size and Amp Hour rating) that will fit in the battery box, larger battery means more plates, and longer running time for all your 12 volt stuff...

Ray
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Hi, Mike!

Are you saying that is the size that would fit the "custom" compartment in my '74 as well? It has formed plastic "fillers" that I guess hold the battery in place.

A size 27 will go in there, though?

That would make me much happier to know.
Hi Aage,
A Size 27 will fit in mine and I'm pretty sure it will fit in your '74. Here's a handy chart of battery measurements just to be sure:

BCI Battery Group Size Chart

4CU 1st VP

Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thanks, Mike, great info, and just what I wanted to hear!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "Whereas I was constantly replacing the Marine style Deep Cycle Batteries (we boondock a lot and they get abused a bit) the Trojans are still going strong"

The questions involve what else might have changed and sample size. The only 'data' I have seen to date (the NAWS FAQ and personal observations) does not support such a difference.

I suggest that folks need to be very careful about anecdotal stories and give a lot more weight to what can actually be measured like warranties and published specifications and cost.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
re: "Whereas I was constantly replacing the Marine style Deep Cycle Batteries (we boondock a lot and they get abused a bit) the Trojans are still going strong"

The questions involve what else might have changed and sample size. The only 'data' I have seen to date (the NAWS FAQ and personal observations) does not support such a difference.

I suggest that folks need to be very careful about anecdotal stories and give a lot more weight to what can actually be measured like warranties and published specifications and cost.
I like to read folks anecdotal stories. That is why I am a member of this forum. If I want specs, warranties etc......well the internet is full of that. Let me hear how things actually worked out in a real world situation, such as I related in my oh so terrible "anecdotal" story. Many warranties and published specifications cannot be trusted anyway. I feel the Trojans were well worth the money I paid for them. They can take the abuse I hand them, whereas the marine deep cycle batteries, under similar circumstances, went to an early grave. Can marine deep cycles last a number of years, yes if you mollycoddle them. If you want to do that, great! I say be careful of putting all of your faith in the info produced by some corporation trying to sell a product, they lie to us on a daily basis.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
I like to read folks anecdotal stories. That is why I am a member of this forum. If I want specs, warranties etc......well the internet is full of that. Let me hear how things actually worked out in a real world situation, such as I related in my oh so terrible "anecdotal" story. Many warranties and published specifications cannot be trusted anyway. I feel the Trojans were well worth the money I paid for them. They can take the abuse I hand them, whereas the marine deep cycle batteries, under similar circumstances, went to an early grave. Can marine deep cycles last a number of years, yes if you mollycoddle them. If you want to do that, great! I say be careful of putting all of your faith in the info produced by some corporation trying to sell a product, they lie to us on a daily basis.
Hi Soyboy,
If you like anecdotes, here's one for you. For eight years I, too, believed that 6v Golf Cart Batteries were the best batteries to use for boondocking (more amp hours and more robust with heavier plates). They worked great for me for eight years until last April when one of the battery posts separated on one of my two 6v batteries, leaving me no 12v power on the last day of my trip. It really sucked. So, from now on if I have room for only two batteries I go with Size 27 12v batteries. The 6v batteries are superior, IMHO, for RVs but I would only use them If I had room for 4 or more batteries (if one pair fails you still have two more to get you by).

4CU 1st VP