Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Kerrville , Texas
Battery Storage Switch Position

We have a 2016 Flying Cloud 25 feet with TV F250. Does anyone know if the battery switch should be in the "store" or "in use" position to charge the batteries when plugged into shore power or when towing down the road.
Thanks

Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The switch should be in the "in use" position.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I thought when towing it was a direct connection to the batteries so the switch position wouldn't make a difference. It does need to be in "use" when connected to shore power to charge.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Richw46 is correct. Tow vehicle charging happens to the AS batteries no matter what the use/store switch position. Charging from the converter/charger in the AS happens only when the switch is in the Use position.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Something I have recently realized is the constant single-stage charging voltage of the factory converter/charger can ruin your batteries over the long term if connected to shore power and the trailer electrical equipment is not in use, like at home in the driveway.

However, if you are camping, plugged into external power, and using the trailer electrical equipment, the factory converter/charger is not nearly as damaging to your batteries. This is because the batteries are in use and being discharged at the same time as being charged.

So its okay to have the battery switch in USE position on external power when the trailer is actually in use. But if simply parked at home between trips either put the battery switch in STORE if connected to external power, or do connect to external power except for short periods to keep the batteries up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Or do as we do and just let solar power system with its better charger keep the batteries up.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Black Diamond , Washington
Batteries

When traveling I leave the switch in the Use position. When home I leave it in the Use position but put it on a timer to come on several hours a day. Batteries have been fine with this.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Be aware that the red light next to the Use/Store switch is ALWAYS ON when you are connected to shore power - you cant depend on the red light to tell you whether the batteries are being recharged or not while on shore power. To be sure of what I'm doing while on shore power, I press the Store switch if I dont want to recharge the batteries (the red light stays on). I press the Use switch if I want to ensure I'm recharging the batteries while on shore power (the red light stays on).
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Something I have recently realized is the constant single-stage charging voltage of the factory converter/charger can ruin your batteries over the long term if connected to shore power and the trailer electrical equipment is not in use, like at home in the driveway.

However, if you are camping, plugged into external power, and using the trailer electrical equipment, the factory converter/charger is not nearly as damaging to your batteries. This is because the batteries are in use and being discharged at the same time as being charged.

So its okay to have the battery switch in USE position on external power when the trailer is actually in use. But if simply parked at home between trips either put the battery switch in STORE if connected to external power, or do connect to external power except for short periods to keep the batteries up.
I use a Noma block heater timer set for 1 hour/day to keep the batteries up when just sitting in my yard. That way the batteries are charged but not overcharged. (Same trailer)
Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A timer is a good idea I think. We have a solar system so no reason to try it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
You could also change your power converter to a multi-stage unit for a lot less than a solar system. I replaced my ancient OEM converter with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power 9200 (PD9200) 60 amp unit. It gives me more amperage (vs. 45amps) and cycles the batteries properly. The PO had hand wired a light switch to the 110v outlet to "control" the PC's on/off times. Not sure how well that worked but for less than $100 I chose to upgrade. Something to consider, Good Luck!!!
JDB
Old 05-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Doug I had saved your post above for reference as this conclusion to me is key. After reading the recent ASLife and Rich's article on the converter vs. inverter which was silent on this detail, I thought I'd revisit your post.

Our storage has no SP, so I disc. the neg connection while in storage. Depending on trailer usage I closely monitor water and charge and as required bring the batt's home for a top off especial when hot. I do bring them in the winter for a vacation on by work bench.

Generally while on SP, I have been using the store switch after the first night (and the batt's are topped off), but that wreaks havoc with the radio and having to continually reset the "going dark/light show setting".

Knowing that I can utilize the Use side of the circuit when traveling and connected SP and drawing power from the batts and feel safe is huge IMO.

So I understand the circuitry, you're saying that SP (USE) charges the batts, and when I put on some tunes or flip on the lights, those devices are being powered by the batts, not the (single stage in my case) converter, and the converter is recharging the batteries?

Thanks

Bob
Old 05-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Bob,

If it is in USE, the battery and converter are connected together and all DC loads are supplied by both. If it is in STORE, then all DC loads are supplied by the converter and the battery is disconnected from the DC bus. But, the battery will still charge from the tow vehicle in STORE.
If SP is connected, this still applies. If SP is not connected then when in STORE, the only DC load connected is the propane detector.

Larry
Old 05-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Great thanks Larry. I understand and much appreciate the explanation.

So for us it's USE and the radio "going dark/light show setting" manageable

Have a good one.

bob