Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Smile Battery Security

Hi, just purchased a 2007 25' SafariFB SE, and was wondering what folks do to prevent battery theft . Unfortunately i have to leave my trailer in a storage away from my home, but can't help that. Could pull the batteries each time, maybe thats the best thing to do, but when boondocking and leaving the rig without the TV around need a way to keep honest folks honest.
Fred

p.s. saw some great solutions for the propane tanks, but nothing so far on batteries.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
uwe

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfred
Hi, just purchased a 2007 25' SafariFB SE, and was wondering what folks do to prevent battery theft . Unfortunately i have to leave my trailer in a storage away from my home, but can't help that. Could pull the batteries each time, maybe thats the best thing to do, but when boondocking and leaving the rig without the TV around need a way to keep honest folks honest.
Fred

p.s. saw some great solutions for the propane tanks, but nothing so far on batteries.
How about a swiveling latch, riteted to the battery box? Then a padlock can be used to secure the top of the battery box.
You might be able to drill 2 holes in such a way that you can loop a padlock through the holes, and don't even need a latch.

The third option would be to modify the current lid catch to accept a locking device, as is used on compartment doors.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
No real heavy mods needed. When I was at Jackson Center, I simply bought a not as deep lock assembly, similar to the ones that are on the fresh tank fill cover (just not as deep). I am sure most locksmith shops would carry the same type of lock tumblers. To size it, simply take the standard non-locking latch assembly off, bring it with you and you can size it up really easy. You can even get them keyed the same or differently.

I think they cost something like $2 or $3 each. Put one on the fridge outer access door and one on the battery box. Took all of maybe 3-5 minutes to remove both standard factory latches and replace both with keyed access.

At some point I plan on placing a switch in the battery box to shut off the power jack.

The locks have been on for a bit over two years and work great. You'd be hard pressed to not think it was a factory install....now watch, the factory sees this post and starts doing this just like some of the backspashes and the SE edition of the base Safari....maybe I should work for Airstream!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
I use 2 locks on my batteries as they are Lifelines and over $300 each.

I use a lock on the cover like Twink does...mine has a cylindrical key. Then when you open the cover, there is another lock (the same one I use to secure my LP tanks) attached to the hold-down bolt for the batteries.

Someone would really need to work hard to get those puppies!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Boise , Idaho
My recommendation is while in storage, pull 'em especially if you don't have power to keep them charged.
When boondocking, chance it but place a label on the cover that explains they are insured by the NRA.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
SilverGate's thread shows the lock he switched out on his battery box...looks pretty spiffy...haven't done that myself yet, but I intend to! His thread is http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...-29471-23.html
starting with post #321...

TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Inside AZBambi: AZBambi Décors
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, locking the battery hold down like Lew did would be the best; A lock on the cover would just look good, I could easily bend the cover open with my bare hands. [ A five year old could get it open] Also with the combination or key lock faceing upward, water would get in and damage the lock unless you cover them with something.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Below is a picture of what I use on the cars, truck, boat and Airstream when they sit for extended periods outdoors. It's what VW ships with their new cars. A word of caution though, the new ones shipped from VW connect to the OBD2 connection of the vehicle, the older ones connect to the cig lighter power port. You can do a search on eBay for these using the search VW solar...you can typically get these for about 15 bucks.

The Suburban in particular has a significant parasitic draw with all the computers and such for seats, PCM, stereo, etc. The battery battery typically goes dead after about a month....until I got a few of these. The Suburban has about 3 or 4 cig power outlets. I just place these in it and it keeps the battery with power.

The Airstream has 2 of these types of 12v outlets and one can easily purchase a 2-4 adapter extension to expand the number of connections and 12v cord extensions. I keep about 2 running in the Airstream when it sitting outside when I boondock. My main issue is with these now is that it's fairly difficult when you have indoor storage, but then again, if you have indoor, the need for locks is diminished as is the power issue since most places have at least 1 120v outlet.
Attached Images

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Aircraft cable

When I had the 22' with the exposed battery box, I made up a length of 1/8" aircraft cable with thimbles at the ends to reach around the battery box and the frame underneath. I attached the cable to the battery box with two footman's loops, pop-riveted to the sides of the box with big washers inside so that the cable could not be slipped off the box. I then connected the thimbled ends with a sturdy padlock. Aircraft cable is hard to cut; I usually cut it with a hammer and sharp chisel on an anvil.

Here is the photo that I posted years ago.
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think I missed something. I have locking battery boxes in the '77 Overlander I have no propane cover. I have a chain thru both bottles and a padlock,that will slow them down. What does everyone else use to secure propane bottles?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #11

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This thread has been referenced above: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ock-36720.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Just this weekend, while camping, replaced the swivel latch on the battery box of our 06 19' Bambi with the same type of lock, but keyed...it was $3.99 at Ace Hardware... (Just remove the original and take it with you to the store so you can hopefully avoid the mandatory 3 trips to the hardware store per project by getting the right one the first time.) Ours took a 1/4" shaft. It came with two different lengths of latch tabs that do the actual locking under the inner edge of the battery box, but we ended up using the latch tab from the original swivel lock. I am going to get 2 more of the same locks and replace the swivel locks on the 2 vent doors on the outside behind the frig, too...and get them all keyed the same. Lord knows I don't need another key on my keychain! Now to lock the propane tanks!

TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Inside AZBambi: AZBambi Décors
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Aha, you guys explained why my Excella has different keys on the battery doors and the refrig door than the main key. Somebody switched out an original keyless latch for me years ago maybe.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Propane security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
What does everyone else use to secure propane bottles?
Heavy Security cable and combination lock.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote