Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Wahoonc - the reason I moved the batteries forward is to minimum flex and loading at the rear of the trailer (each of the four 6V batts weighs 60 lbs.) and because there is no good place to put them elsewhere. Over the ax;es seemed like the right thing to do.I am having to modify the twin bed construction to accommodate them, but I plan on replacing all the interior cabinets and stuff next year anyway.

M

Old 08-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1980 28' Excella II
Schuyler , Virginia
i have 29' 1980 excella, on the owner manual it show 2 battteries on the diagram. is the second battery optional, i could not find it on my trailer.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Here is the preliminary wiring diagram for the battery banks.
That's a lot of battery. I assume you do a lot of boondocking for extended periods? I am just curious why you decided to go for 4 batteries and the battery isolation switch.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
That's a lot of battery. I assume you do a lot of boondocking for extended periods? I am just curious why you decided to go for 4 batteries and the battery isolation switch.
I usually stay out for weeks at a time. I do have a Hinda generator, but feel that more is better, especially since I plan on a 120 AC/12 DC Norcold fridge/freezer that will provide proper cooling whilr driving and camping.

The reason for the isolation switch is that AGM batteries charge up quickly and, if deeply discharged, may pull a lot of amperage from the 60 Amp charger on the Xantrex converter. By switching between banks I can:

- Charge one bank (190 Amp Hours) at a time, and not create any potential for a problem,

- Have a reserve if I lose a battery cell (or the entire battery), since this would drop voltage to below 12V (remember I am using 2 6V batts per bank)

Maybe it is un-necessary, but I have worked on boats and vehicles using two battery banks, and lke the reserve concept.