Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Battery questions, again!

My trailer came with Interstate SRM-27 batteries (2). The sticker states CCA 600 and 750 MCA......apparently CCA is "cranking power".

Anyway while awaiting my voltage meter from Harbor Freight, I went to Big O Tires and a fellow checked the volatage for me....one registers 470 and the other 511.

Should I buy new batteries? I don't "crank" anything that I know of-- My batteries are actually just a buffer (at least that is how I see them)....we never dry-camp.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Kistler, I assume these are group 27 12v batteries. At 5 volts, having been charged, they have long been in the Happy Hunting Ground for batteries. You need 12v for the display panel on modern refrigerators, your gas detectors probably use 12v, and the batteries act as smoothers, as you say. You don't need two batteries, and one cheap group 27 from Wal-mart would be fine for your purposes. If you only use one battery, you will need to make safe the loose leads in the empty compartment. Disconnecting them at the inboard ends where they connect to the distribution point would be the safe option. CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps, by the way. Good luck. Nick.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Kistler,

Before you spend anymore money on batteries, might I recommend the following book:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=SRCH&tcode=37

It helped me and I'm sure it will answer alot of your questions.

Best,

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Like Nick says, just buy a cheap replacement.

MCA is Marine Cranking Amps. MCA is higher because it is measured at a higher temperature, nothing else.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I really appreciate your advice, one and all, and am lost (electrically...you name it-challenged)....
In another posting here...the discussion included Olympia brand batteries...wow...$193 a piece....

Guess you can tell, I have a simple travel trailer....do not dry-camp....need the batteries as a filter/buffer I suspect....

Should I buy new batteries? In the spring, of course, is what we be talking here....am not going anywhere

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 11-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
I really appreciate your advice, one and all, and am lost (electrically...you name it-challenged)....
In another posting here...the discussion included Olympia brand batteries...wow...$193 a piece....

Guess you can tell, I have a simple travel trailer....do not dry-camp....need the batteries as a filter/buffer I suspect....

Should I buy new batteries? In the spring, of course, is what we be talking here....am not going anywhere
Is the number you gave us for the batteries perhaps the cranking amps? And not voltage? 470 amps and 511 amps makes more sense. I am not sure where you are located, but in this part of the world I recommend replacing house batteries at 2-3 years of age, you don't need to nurse every electron out of them. Since you are not dry camping, you could probably get a pair of inexpensive group 24 (slightly smaller and cheaper) or 27 batteries.
The local Interstate dealer here sells blemished group 24 marine batteries for around $30 or so. These are new batteries with a cosmetic defect that will not hinder their operation. $60 every two years for batteries is one of the least expensive things to spend.
Terry
Old 11-17-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Nearly as I can tell, will cost me about $82.00 each for the SRM-27 replacements....

Really, am not considering Olympia batteries at $193 each.

Am really in the "mood" to just keep these partially good batteries and see how long I can go.

Kistler