Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Battery Problem - How Does This Work?

My 2012 FC 25 is 30 months old, and guess what?--the "30 month batteries" seem to have failed. Surprise, surprise.

So, I don't understand this part of it. I went to raise my jack this am to hook up and the jack groaned. Ok, dead batteries. I had left the power on to keep the fridge running on propane so that it would be cold this morning.
Apparently, that drained the batteries.

So, I connect my umbilical cord thinking that will now power the jack. Nope. Didn't do a think for the jack. We got it up and hooked up, and we are at the camp sight. I am going to go buy some new batteries. But wondering why the umbilical doesn't power the jack?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
My 2012 FC 25 is 30 months old, and guess what?--the "30 month batteries" seem to have failed. Surprise, surprise.

So, I don't understand this part of it. I went to raise my jack this am to hook up and the jack groaned. Ok, dead batteries. I had left the power on to keep the fridge running on propane so that it would be cold this morning.

So, I connect my umbilical cord thinking that will now power the jack. Nope. Didn't do a think for the jack. We got it up and hooked up, and we are at the camp sight. I am going to go buy some new batteries. But wondering why the umbilical doesn't power the jack?
If you have not checked it already, there should be a fuse in the battery line. There should be one in the camper as well as one in the tow vehicle. Also do you have a battery switch in the camper? If that is off the TV might not charge the battery.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:

Several scenarios:

• your jack fuse is blown (easy check)
• your OEM Interstate batteries have not been maintained (e.g.; liquid level not maintained thru their short life)
• your single voltage 'dumb charger' provided with your Airstream has cooked the batteries with either excessive voltage for the 'float' stage or never fully charged them to begin with, resulting is premature sulfating, loss of capacity and eventual failure

Several solutions:

•buy a set of new, quality batteries with a long warranty from a source that will provide warranty service/replacement if required
•*replace your battery burner 'dumb' converter/charger with a 'smart' charger from Progressive Dynamics or IOTA Engineering that has 3-stage charging
• check your batteries bi-weekly for proper fluid level (if still using liquid lead acid types)
•*be sure to maintain the voltage in your batteries at 12.8-13.2 VDC (full charge) as often as possible to prevent sultfation
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Lew,
Thanks. No fuses were blown. he jacked worked, but slowly because the batts were nearly dead. What I wondered, is why my car battery didn't take over when I connected the 7-pin? There was no extra ooomph.

Now as to cause. Yes, I have the dumb charger and I have often considered to get the improved ones. Now I have a reason. My batteries (Interstate) had no provision for liquid that I know of? I thought it was a sealed battery.

We had to have batteries today (we are camping) so I bought some deep cycle RV batteries from Pep Boys. Yeah, I know it's not the premium stuff. I think I will get the charger replaced AND add a battery off switch, which I also do not have.

Thank you for the info and advice!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Lew-
Any suggestions on battery brand/sources? Just found out two days ago mine was dead. I want to get a good one. My plan is to gradually add solar as able. Not sure if better to get one marine or series golf cart ones. What happens if you put a dead battery in to complete the circuit for shore power? That is what I was going to try. Probably blow something up?
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I'm wondering that too, since my jack can work with only the umbilical cord for power.

And yet if it works slowly, this would seem to indicate to me that the TV's battery AND the coach batteries are weak, or perhaps your jack is wired into the coach's 12VDC system only.

The umbilical carries a blue wire (at least on mine it's blue) which turns on the exterior running lights for the coach and gives power to the jack. It also connects to the main 12VDC circuit and will very slowly begin to charge the battery.

All that to say, you have a problem and it isn't evident to me where it is.

Have you customized your battery set-up, added more of them, or anything along those lines?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Aage, newer Airstreams have the jack connected directly to the positive terminal of the batteries with a 30 amp fuse in the wire and the jack body connection to the frame as ground. In this case, unless the charge line from the TV was inputting substantial amperage to the batteries (which in this case are connected to the charge line thru a bus bar internal in the trailer and not directly to the batteries), you really won't see much at the batteries.

Rippie, I am a big proponent of Lifeline AGM batteries, but the best battery for your needs might not be the best for mine. I use Lifelines almost exclusively in my solar installations, and they continue to prove themselves with their longevity, ease of charging due to low internal resistance (about 2%) and the fact that they do not out-gas when properly charger or need any maintenance what so ever….other than being properly charged. I can't stress this enough, but the proper and correct charging of Lifeline batteries (or any batteries for that matter) could fill several pages.

I would never use a dead battery for anything, as the potential of a shorted cell or thermal run away are too great to risk a battery explosion or melt-down!

Asking what the is best battery is akin to asking what the best engine oil is, or which TV is best. My opinion is just that…..MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION. It is based on my 14 years of RV service, 8 years of extensive experience installing RV solar charging systems and AM Solar's 27 years in the RV solar business. We do use liquid lead acid batteries on customer request, but these are generally Trojan 6VDC golf cart batteries. The Lifelines that I use most are also 6VDC wired in series as pairs in either 220 amp/hour or 300 amp/hour sizes. They can be placed inside the trailer if proper charging (there's that phrase again!) can be assured and can be used in any position except up side down. As always, YMMV!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would not be surprised if your TV charge line is not hooked up, or a fuse is blown so it is not delivering any charge at all to the AS batteries. If you have a meter of some kind, ground one of the leads, and then touch the other lead to each of the pins in your TV outlet. You should get 12 volts at one of them (no lights on). If you don't, start the TV and try it again. If you get 12 volts on one terminal now, your TV is wired so it only charges when running. If you get no +12 volts on either check, something is wrong with your TV charge setup.

You might also want to ground one lead to the AS, then take the other lead and touch each of the terminals in the plug end. One should give you + 12 volts. If not, you may have a problem in the AS side of the charge system.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
No fuses were blown. the jacked worked, but slowly because the batts were nearly dead. What I wondered, is why my car battery didn't take over when I connected the 7-pin? There was no extra ooomph.

mstephens, are you still using the Chrysler 300? I don't believe a 7-pin is factory. Who installed the 7-pin? Is the 12v+ pin actually hot? Is it on a relay and you need the car running? You may only have running, left, right, brake, backing light, and ground. If you do have a 12v+, what is the wire gauge, if it's 18-22ga you're only going to get a trickle of juice.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
To get along with what you have, original converter and new lead acid batteries.

When you are plugged into external power or generator, always place the Battery Disconnect switch (it is next to the entrance door) in the STORE position. That will isolate the batteries from your dumb converter and prevent damage to your batteries from overcharging.

When the battery switch is in the STORE position, the batteries will not provide power to your DC equipment such as lights and refrigerator (to run on propane), so to keep the refrigerator running while towing you must move the battery switch to the USE position. The tow vehicle will keep the batteries charged when towing.

To maintain the batteries at home, get a Battery Minder-type smart charger to plug into AC power and connect to your batteries.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer batteries usually only last three years, so you are due. GM products either have a dummy fuse or no fuse at all for the charge line to your trailer. [Buy a fuse and new batteries]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Aage, newer Airstreams have the jack connected directly to the positive terminal of the batteries with a 30 amp fuse in the wire and the jack body connection to the frame as ground.
=============================
Bingo! I discovered this when I put the new batteries in yesterday. Something I never knew. The wire comes direct from the jack motor to a terminal on the battery. Mystery solved! And for years I used to plug the 7-pin in, start the TV, so that the jack would have more power when raising the back end for the WD bars! HA HA. Oh boy, the things we learn!

Someone in this thread recommended that when on shore power, put the red light inside the door in STORE position. I just tried it. The red light remains on no matter if selecting STORE position or not. (Yes, it works fine when not on shore power. )

Someone asked if this is the Chrysler 300. No, I gave up on that. This TV is my new Suburban 2500 which weirdly needed a new battery THE SAME MORNING! We woke up Friday morning to go camping and when I went to the garage to start the 'Burb, the battery was dead. We got it jump started and off to Pep Boys (the only thing in my area) for a new battery. Came home, picked up wife and went to the storage yard for the trailer.....dead batteries! Is that weird or what?

I think I will install a battery cut-off switch.

I've always noticed a weird thing about batteries. No matter what the life rating, like 36 months or whatever, they are perfectly good one day, and then dead the next. And usually it is exactly as long as the label or warranty said. I've had several new car batteries die exactly at the 3 year point.

Thanks to all of you for your amazing expertise.

I love my Flying Cloud! Camp on!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
The other possibility is a bad jack switch which seems to be fairly common. My jack often operates very slowly. After toggling directions it will operate normally.

Did your new batteries fix your jack issue?
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Waterville , Minnesota
I had a similar problem, the jack was slow going and then it AND the light on the jack was not working. I had power inside the AS, so I thought to myself the jack switch was the culprit, but no, I had a bad ground FROM the switch to the ground, I cleaned the wire and replaced the end and screwed it back to where it was and now everything works fine.
Bait guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Everything seems to work fine now with the two new batteries.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
mstephens: "Someone in this thread recommended that when on shore power, put the red light inside the door in STORE position. I just tried it. The red light remains on no matter if selecting STORE position or not. (Yes, it works fine when not on shore power. )"

The red light will stay on either USE or STORE position, but the switch controls a relay that will disconnect your batteries from everything in the trailer (except propane detector) when you select STORE. I don't know what the red light means, I'll have to look in the manual.

Most importantly when the relay is in the STORE position, the "dumb" converter cannot charge the batteries, which is to say overcharge them and reduce their lifespan drastically if you are plugged into external power for long periods, such as in storage.

You don't need another battery cut-off switch, that's what this relay does.

Among the long term nice-to-haves, you may think of a basic solar system for quiet camping without a generator, and to keep the batteries charged when in (outdoor) storage. When (and only when) the present "dumb" converter finally quits a "smart" converter may be in order.

Hey, we have the same FC 25 as you and couldn't be happier with it. Have been thinking of a Durango SUV 3.6 with 8-speed to replace a car and a pickup. I was impressed with your very short test prior to overheating. But I won't bring that up again.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Dkottum,

I am not understanding your comment "if you are plugged into external power for long periods, such as in storage." My storage unit has a regular house outlet(shore power) that I plugged into thinking that the converter would keep my batteries topped off. That was not the case! When I returned not only was the battery not charged but the propane detector was beeping and continues to beep whether the relay is put in Store or Use position.

We have never charged the battery with a battery charger while hooked up to shore power. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
ljsigman,
Two possibilities are:
No power at shore outlet.
Trailer is in storage mode. Therefore batteries are disconnected from everything.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our use of battery is minimal so it's not unusual for me to replace these. Our trailer has reached its 10th season of use and I think I'm on my third set of batteries. As noted by others the converters in the trailers will cook the batteries and when the trailer was home in the drive, I used to leave it plugged in. That boiled out the batteries and when they finally failed I realized that they were low on liquid. From that point on I have done a better job in checking the liquid levels and as noted I don't leave the trailer plugged in for an excessive period of time when we are not using it.

As far as type of batteries, I'm a believer in buying what is the best value for how you use them. In my case it is so minimal, I purchase house branded deep cycle batteries from various outlets. I get about 3 years of use from them which is fine for me.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
There is power! We use the same outlet for other things with no problems!
Any time you are connected to shore power the relay automatically trips to USE so......
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote