Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
battery problem?

I have been plugged in at an rv park for more than a week with no problem. Today I suddenly noticed that the "Battery % Remaining" readout was going down, like it does when I am not hooked up to a power source. I have a voltage meter plugged into an outlet that has shown consist power at around 119.

Know there is probably some simple explanation for this and I'm going to be embarrassed for asking, but does anyone know what could be going on? I have good power, but my battery is acting like it's not connected.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernviews View Post
I have been plugged in at an rv park for more than a week with no problem. Today I suddenly noticed that the "Battery % Remaining" readout was going down, like it does when I am not hooked up to a power source. I have a voltage meter plugged into an outlet that has shown consist power at around 119.

Know there is probably some simple explanation for this and I'm going to be embarrassed for asking, but does anyone know what could be going on? I have good power, but my battery is acting like it's not connected.
'views:

There IS probably a very simple solution to this......

First: unplug the trailer from the power post and check the position of the batter disconnect switch. If it is in the 'store' and not the 'use' position, the battery disconnect solenoid is in the open position and there is no charge going to your batteries from the converter. It should be in the 'use' position and the indicator light should be on. If you are plugged in and 120VAC is present, you can't tell what the position the switch and the disconnect solenoid are in.

The other possibility is that one of the 30 amp fuses in the converter is blown, or you have a loose wire in the charge circuit..... but I would put my $$$$$ on the former, rather than the latter.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Thanks for your response, Lew.

I disconnected the power and checked that the Battery Disconnect switch is in the "use" position. No change. Power is coming in, but my battery charge is going down.

Where is the fuse for the converter located?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks for your response, Lew.

I disconnected the power and checked that the Battery Disconnect switch is in the "use" position. No change. Power is coming in, but my battery charge is going down.

Where is the fuse for the converter located?
There should be 2 green, 30 amp blade fuses on the face of the converter, or possibly inside the fuse panel on the DC distribution block, also located on the converter. (location is dependent on the manufacturer of the unit)

If these are good, then I would check the output of the converter, as the charging section could be bed.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Thanks again, Lew.

The two 30 amp fuses are green. That is what they should be, right?

One 20 amp fuse for the radio is orange, while the others are all yellow. I had noticed more static from the radio speakers the last two days.

When I got up at 5:00 a.m. the battery was at 65% charge. At 8:00 a.m., after several hours of full sun, it was 85%, and at 9:00 a.m., 90%. So the sun still seems to be charging the battery.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks again, Lew.

One 20 amp fuse for the radio is orange, while the others are all yellow. I had noticed more static from the radio speakers the last two days.

When I got up at 5:00 a.m. the battery was at 65% charge. At 8:00 a.m., after several hours of full sun, it was 85%, and at 9:00 a.m., 90%. So the sun still seems to be charging the battery.
Sounds like you have a solar charging system in the A/S
Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Have you confirmed that the outlet the converter is plugged into has power?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Sounds like you have a solar charging system in the A/S
Lew, I was thinking the same thing. If he is plugged in and also running solar then either his converter is bad or during the day it is reading a charged battery and maybe only charging at a 13.2 v. rating. I would think he would have to shut off the solar to isolate it from the battery in order to tell what the charger/battery is doing.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I have a small solar panel that came with my 07 Safari FB SE. It usually just gives enough power to run my Fantastic fans.

The converter is series 7300; model 7355.
12 VDC fuseblock max branch circuit fuse size: 20 amps

I am due to take my Airstream in to have my wheel bearing cleaned and repacked. So I can have the electrical system looked at also, if my current problem is not resolved.

Thanks all.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Thanks again, Lew.

Did you check that these green fuses are good, or just check the color?

Here's a link on how to test them: How to Check and Replace Electric Fuse and Fuses

If you already know all this, please don't be offended, I couldn't tell from your posts (my fault I'm sure).

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Thanks for the link, guy99. No, I have never changed a fuse before.

Rita
Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Rita,
Do you have a multimeter? Some models not only check AC/DC voltage but also continuity. Sometimes a fuse will not look burned out but it is. Setting the multimeter on the continuity tester, you touch one end of the fuse with one testing probe (after pulling it out of the fuse holder) and then touch the other side of the fuse with the other probe. If it alarms with a tone then the fuse is good. Another way is to just keep a bunch of extra 12 volt fuses handy and just replace the one you think is bad.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Lew, I was thinking the same thing. If he is plugged in and also running solar then either his converter is bad or during the day it is reading a charged battery and maybe only charging at a 13.2 v. rating. I would think he would have to shut off the solar to isolate it from the battery in order to tell what the charger/battery is doing.
I think you hit the nail on the head....so to speak!

The converter is seeing the solar charger as being a fully charged battery and is not sending charge voltage to the batteries. Sounds like a better solar charge controller (so many of them are minimal at best) AND a new 3-stage converter are in order here....IMHO!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Rita,
Turn the solar charger off if you can and see if your charger keeps the battery charged. Also, if you have a wet cell/flooded battery, how is the water level?

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end