Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
Battery placement for '65 Caravel

Hi All,
I'm installing a new battery in my Caravel. It's a 12v Lifeline AGM 210 amp/hrs. The battery weights 135 lbs. I'm thinking about installing it inside the street side compartment underneath front gaucho. (please see the picture)
Will this battery placement make the trailer's street side off balance too much? Will it make the tongue weight too heavy?
Alternately, I can install it in the middle compartment underneath the side gaucho which will be almost on top and slightly forward of the axle but I will have to dismantle the gaucho's frame to be able to install this new big and heavy battery.
Thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions,
Suti
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirstreamCaravel_0609_0084.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	93629  
teeraniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Why so big?

I used the smaller Lifeline battery....plenty of Amp hours for the boondocking life....It fits perfectly in the side compartment.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
I'm planing for a long trip in the near future. and want to have at least 200 amp of battery power, just in case. Most places we want to go to don't have electrical hookup.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Seems like keeping it up close to the tongue would be the best idea. Wow, that's a heavy battery!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Lifeline location

Suti-

It's hard to tell exactly where you're locating the battery under the front gaucho. I've attached a picture of the framing from below the trailer. The part painted white here is the exposed part of the frame, as it enters the bellypan. Notice how there is a wide area that is unsupported in the center, but see how well supported it is outboard. Unfortunately, this will drive you to place the battery further to the street side so that it sits on the frame. Stated more simply: eyeball the frame from the tongue and try to locate the battery on that frame.

The other location you're considering is well supported. See post #15 of this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...vel-45046.html Notice the two outriggers just forward of the wheel (the tongue of the trailer is to the top of that picture). If you locate it here, you'll want to orient the battery sideways so that it spans those two outriggers.

Weight distribution is key, of course. Have you considered weighing the trailer to see what your tongue weight is now? Our local scale will allow us a second weighing for a dollar. If you weigh the entire trailer, then hook up and weigh again with just the wheels on the scale, you can calculate the % of weight on the tongue. It should be 10-15%. If you are close to 15%, you probably want to locate the battery further back.

This is a heavy battery, and either location will affect side to side balance. You can also consider 2 6-volt batteries and locate them so that they balance well side-to-side. We used the Lifeline GPL-4C's and are very happy with them.

Also, you don't have the original axle, right??

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a_frame.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	93637  
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Where ever you put it, do not vent it into the interior. Make sure it is in a compartment that is sealed from the interior and vented to the outside.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
Thanks John and everyone. My trailer still has original axle but is getting a new one this week. I think I'll put it over the axle as it seems to be the best location. John, where do you put the two 4C batteries?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
_

. , .
increasing battery capacity...

2 grp 27 lifeline agms will provide basically the same amp/hour capacity as the big boy, grp 4 battery...

and can be place EVENLY across the front of the trailer, on the tongue OR under the gaucho...

the advantage of 2x12v over 2x6v is that EITHER battery can provide 12v should one fail...

the advantage over the big g4 is that IF you ever decide to add more capacity, that can be done with another g27.

in order to increase reserve with the larger grp 4, one would need to add another 135lb battery...

also lifting/moving the grp 27s is easier than the grp 4.

this is ALL inter related with this other thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...vel-60291.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeraniti View Post
Thanks John and everyone. My trailer still has original axle but is getting a new one this week. I think I'll put it over the axle as it seems to be the best location. John, where do you put the two 4C batteries?
Sorry -- I missed the question until tonight.

I placed them just aft of the wheelwells, slightly inboard to make sure they were right on the frame.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel