Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #29
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Steve,

Yeah....the portable works for me also. The amount of time we spend on shore power, I just couldn't rationalize the built-in. The newer portables are really quite sophisticated these daze.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob and Steve',

You may think you're lazy, but I'm lazier—when the power goes out and it's raining or snowing, you have to go outside to see the lights on the portable ones, but I just roll out of bed and then I can see them. Once I know what's happening, Barb pulls me up into bed again, and I can go back to sleep. You'll be sloshing through the water and ice, avoiding the lightening, while I'm back to sleep.

Gene

Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Three more hours into the Surge Guard installation, a total of 6, and still more to go, but getting close to the end of my lazy job. My body has been twisted into all sorts of pretzels and I've cut myself only twice. The worst part has been screwing the junction box to an interior panel with hardly any room to do so. Ibuprofen is next. I haven't touched the battery disconnect switch and I didn't turn off the solar or disconnect the batteries at the terminals since I not working on that side of the panel.

I guess portable would have been a better than option than I thought, but this was cheaper at first—then I had to buy 10-2 w/G and all sorts of other stuff, so it isn't cheaper, but I don't have to go outside! Maybe if I put a mirror on the wall opposite it, I'll never have to get out of bed either.

Gene
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Gene,

Lets see a picture of that bad boy before you go to bed and it's too late.

If we camped more with hook-up's I might have considered a hard wire install.
I had no idea when I started shopping for the portable just how many features they have now, rationality kicked in and I went for the EMS.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, I need a nap first before I post photos.

Gene
Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Gene,

Got the trailer plugged into the Honda today, and remembered the neat little gizmo's I got with the EMS SP. Just plugs into an AC outlet, a nice "fail safe" item.

The 12v monitor is right in your face when you enter, hard to ignore.

Can't beat a good gizmo once in awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07702.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	139072   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07703.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	139073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07699.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	139074  

RLC

RLC
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Withidl is correct. The layout in post#13 is a mechanical battery cut out system as opposed to the electromechanical type with the switch and light. I don't know if the difference is a model year evolution or a line difference. I only know about the layout in post #13. The cutoff switch only removes the fuse block and its associated circuits from receiving power for storage.
The breakaway switch, actibrake (or equivalent ), the propane detector, tongue jack are all still live, with their own protection circuits regardless of shutoff switch position. Everything which hooks directly to the positive buss bar is always alive, including the right red wire leading to the round silver shutoff switch.

The inverter will always charge the batteries and/or feed the buss bar when plugged into it's wall socket and shore power active. Batteries will always feed the buss bar until they run down. the draw on my batteries is about 150 - 200mA with the disconnect switch in the off position. (yours will be a little higher, as I moved my propane detector hot lead from the positive buss bar to the fuse block. It's against code for AS to do this, but I will never occupy the trailer with the disconnect switch in the off position). The draw is due to the "keep alive" circuit in the Actibrake, my aftermarket battery monitoring system, etc. If you store the trailer with the switch on, there will be other parisitic loads on the battery from the boards in the fridge, radio, thermostat, etc.

Since I utilize only a 15 watt solar panel for storage which produces about 900mA with good sunlight ( about 700 - 750mA, net), I store with the switch off and all is good. The only other time to use the switch is when repairing or modifying any of the coach 12V curcuits. If you need to service the electricals for the brakes or propane detector, etc....disconnect the batts at their posts.

Other than that...leave it on.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, I need a nap first before I post photos.

Gene
More than a nap later, the photos are at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...a-78859-2.html

Post 113.

Gene
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
More than a nap later, the photos are at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...a-78859-2.html

Post 113.

Gene
Gene,

I did see the results of your "busy hands"

Bob

RLC

RLC