Old 12-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I use the putty knife or wide blade screwdriver as a lip-slider as well. The important tip is to use some beloved Duct Tape and a loop of nylon rope wrapped around the battery before it goes back in the hole, about mid-way up.. The tape seems to hold for a year or so, and each time I remove, check and replace the batteries I replace the duct tape.. Pulling on rope in front and up a ramp sure beats trying to lift and pull from the top... I've considered buying plastic "Battery Box" units from local auto parts place, and trimming all but bottom inch of sides off, and using them as slide to hold battery in compartment, but sizes don't quite fit door opening and battery...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #16

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Different Kinds of Duct Tape

I prefer the foil (think heavy duty aluminium foil) duct tape rather than the cloth-backed duct tape.

The foil tape is bright and shiny like aluminum foil. It's readily available for extreme temperatures and conditions. I've used it successfully in several applications exposed with outdoors - sun, wind, rain, snow - and it holds up for years. I've even used this type of tape to create semi-structural elements. For instance, when I needed a fan plenum for an electronic module I was working on I simply used several layers of the foil tape and was able to create a metal box that I attached the fan to and it worked great.

On the other hand, the cloth-backed duct tape does not last nearly as long and it does not hold up well outdoors or under extreme environments. In addition, when it fails it always seems to leave a gooey, very messy residue behind.

The picture on the left is tradtional cloth-backed duct tape. The picture on the right is foil-backed duct tape. The foil tape has a separate release liner so it's easy to cut to length, peel off the liner, then apply it to the surface.
Attached Images

nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Battery Isolation

So, in reading this thread, I began to wonder if the "Use - Storage" switch actually isolates the batteries during storage. It's a real pain to disconnect the batteries when we put our TT away in a storage lot. I had assumed that the switch I mentioned above did in fact isolate the batteries.

So far I haven't seen any apparent degradation after storage.

Anyone got some advice? Thanks for the help.

As far as I know, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #18

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question "isolation" switch.

Short There is still a parasitic draw even with the switch in the store position. That said being in CA you don't really have the worry of the batts freezing during off season storage.
You do have the option of installing a true marine style battery selector switch.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, battery boxes, battery disconnect