Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Battery drain - is this normal?

Question: is it normal to have battery drain from 12v accessories when connected to shoreline? Details...

2008 international 25. (new) dual lead acid group 24 deep cells. factory installed parallax 7355 converter.

Installed new batteries. charged up to 100% using a digital charger. went camping.

Spent 24 hours hooked to 30A shoreline. Normal use - in and out of the trailer during the day, cooking, lights and TV at night, etc.. Got home and the batteries where quite low - like 10-20% capacity left. Is it normal that the trailer 12v accessories draw from the batteries even when connected to shoreline? I know this is the case - if I disconnect the batteries from the system and run shoreline only the lights dim quite a bit and the radio cuts on/off as it tries to draw amps from the converter.

so is it normal for a parallax 7355 not to have enough 12v juice to run accessories? do better/upgraded converters solve this problem?

Thanks. it's never good for battery life to continually drain below 50% capacity and this converter setup seems to be very hard on my batteries. last ones only lasted a year.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
No, that is not normal. While connected to shore power, the 12 volt accessories should run through the converter, while at the same time the batteries are charging. When you disconnect, the batteries should be fully charged.

You need to check the system. It could be a faulty charging unit in the converter or the batteries are no good.

brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Question: is it normal to have battery drain from 12v accessories when connected to shoreline? Details...

2008 international 25. (new) dual lead acid group 24 deep cells. factory installed parallax 7355 converter.

Installed new batteries. charged up to 100% using a digital charger. went camping.

Spent 24 hours hooked to 30A shoreline. Normal use - in and out of the trailer during the day, cooking, lights and TV at night, etc.. Got home and the batteries where quite low - like 10-20% capacity left. Is it normal that the trailer 12v accessories draw from the batteries even when connected to shoreline? I know this is the case - if I disconnect the batteries from the system and run shoreline only the lights dim quite a bit and the radio cuts on/off as it tries to draw amps from the converter.

so is it normal for a parallax 7355 not to have enough 12v juice to run accessories? do better/upgraded converters solve this problem?

Thanks. it's never good for battery life to continually drain below 50% capacity and this converter setup seems to be very hard on my batteries. last ones only lasted a year.
Not normal. Sounds like the converter is not working properly. Can you check the voltage when plugged into shore power? it should be 13.8-14.2. if not replace the converter.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
You have a couple of things to check

The first thing that comes to my mind is that you don't have the power "on" from your outside source. Like either the circuit breaker is popped or the switch by the door that you are in store mode. (the push-button switch that lights up red).

As far as the batteries being almost dead when you arrived home...your tow vehicle should have been charging all the way home and unless you went less than a couple of hours they should have been fully charged from the tow vehicle's alternator.

Some people with Fords have had a problem with the relay in the under hood fuse box not being installed---hence not charging.

These seem like simple, easy things to check. I hope it is easy.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
thanks guys. batteries are new - they are not at fault.

110v shoreline power is indeed on - TV and other 110v would not run otherwise.

checked shoreline voltage and it is in a good range.

drive home is only 30 minutes so wouldn't expect much of a charge from the TV.

I'll call airstream - still under warranty. thanks.

-Peter
Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Peter,
As mentioned above, use your volt meter to check the voltage at the batteries, without the AC power ON...then power up the AC with power to the converter/charger and again check the voltage at the battery terminals - if no change, the conv/chgr just isn't working properly...

With the lights 'dim' while on shorepower, as you related, is the other clue the conv/chgr isn't working...

If you need a replacement, make sure you get a new model with 3-stage charging functions, as it will help to see that your batteries are charged properly and a 'floating' charge applied when done - this will go a long way toward your batteries long service life...

Ray
Old 04-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Thanks -

I guess a 3 stage will depend if I want to eat the cost vs. get a free one via warranty. I'll think about it. Thanks for the tip on watching voltage with shoreline on/off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Peter,
As mentioned above, use your volt meter to check the voltage at the batteries, without the AC power ON...then power up the AC with power to the converter/charger and again check the voltage at the battery terminals - if no change, the conv/chgr just isn't working properly...

With the lights 'dim' while on shorepower, as you related, is the other clue the conv/chgr isn't working...

If you need a replacement, make sure you get a new model with 3-stage charging functions, as it will help to see that your batteries are charged properly and a 'floating' charge applied when done - this will go a long way toward your batteries long service life...

Ray
Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Not normal and you should receive one free under warranty. You will be back to where you started when new.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My converter had similar fault and was replaced under warranty (bought trailer new last year) by Oasis RV in Tucson. New one works good.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Possible, but not likely.

Hi, I believe that you could drain your batteries while plugged in, But you would have to be using more power than your converter puts out. Do you turn on all of the lights in your trailer? We usually only have a few on at a time. Do you have your television running on the 12 volt system, either direct or through an inverter? Do you have computers and / or toys plugged into the 12 volt system? Do you have high power stereo amplifiers running? I would guess that you don't, but I can't see it from here.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
With my bad converter, the measured dc voltage at the dc outlets would fall below 12 volts with the overhead lights and a couple of work lights on. Turn on the radio and the voltage would soon fall lower. New converter works as it should, keeps batteries fully charged and provides all needed dc power.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
With my bad converter, the measured dc voltage at the dc outlets would fall below 12 volts with the overhead lights and a couple of work lights on. Turn on the radio and the voltage would soon fall lower. New converter works as it should, keeps batteries fully charged and provides all needed dc power.
This seems to be my experience. my tv runs on 110v. I only use a few lights at a time. no radio amp its a basic mosfet system. thx I'll keep everyone posted on how easy/difficult it is to work with airstream.

I prefer to perform the install myself. The local dealer is, well, they just leave a lot to be deisred. last time I left them with my trailer they handed it back with incomplete work and a missing flat screen TV (stolen)!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Assuming your rig is still under warranty, I wouldn't let the bums off the hook that easy. If they are not providing proper warranty service, make a detailed report to Airstream.

The converter is a common failure part and they should have a NEW replacement in stock. Make a morning appointment advising them your TV was stolen last time and you will not leave it with them, asking them to troubleshoot and fix the item while you wait. Not that big of a repair job.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
oh they know me by first name at the local dealer

talked to airstream. This shouldn't be a big deal - they will have parralax drop-ship a new charging unit to the dealer and they will install (AS would not let me self-install). Thats fine. I will stand there and watch them. It's a 15-20 minute job at best.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Did that dealer replace your television, or was it just your tough luck?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
they ended up replacing it in the end... but that was not their initial position on the matter. I am a bit bummed I used to have a 23" sony now I have a 22" samsung.