Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Battery Disconnect Switch Question

My husband, the electrical talent in the family, writes:

We own a 2010 Flying Cloud 27” FB. We installed a ProPride hitch, which makes the batteries a little difficult to reach. Since we do not live in a climate that freezes, removing the batteries for storage is not an issue, but disconnecting the negative (-) connection is something of a hassle. Switching the unit to “Store” leaves some energy thieves on, and drains the batteries between uses if the neutral is not disconnected. We have installed a low capacity solar charger, but it cannot keep up with the thieves. (With the negative disconnected, we actually gain charge between uses.) Therefore, it would be convenient to have an absolute disconnect switch.

We have found a seemingly suitable switch, and the connection is not conceptually difficult. However, there is no room in the battery box for the switch. The particular switch is not weather tight, so mounting it on the outside of the box seems iffy, and, besides, somebody could diddle with it. The other option seems to be to intercept the battery cable at the thermal breakers under the front bed, but it looks like one has to be a snake to get in there.

We would be grateful for any ideas or experiences others have had. Is there a weather tight switch available that could mount on the outside of the battery box? Does the bed easily disassemble for making a connection there? Is there any reason to not put the switch inside the living space? Etc., etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Best, Mary D.
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
It's no big deal to remove the mattress and then unscrew the plywood base, a 10 minute job tops. The hardest part is unsnapping the pneumatic lifters from the plywood. It's nice to have a helper carry that out of the trailer to avoid banging something. Once all that is out of the way you have easy and wide open access to the utility area off to the side of your storage compartment. Perfect place for the battery disconnect. That's where I put mine on my 27FB.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Thanks kscherzi!

kscherzi,

Thanks for your quick response. We are glad to hear that your solution is a good way to go and fairly easy to accomplish.

Best, Mary D.
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I have already purchased a marine grade battery switch for installation in our 20' Flying Cloud this winter. I plan to install the switch on the side of the closet just inside and to the right of the entrance door where the remote battery disconnect switch is now. I want to do away with the electric solenoid that A$ uses as a battery disconnect. This will also allow me to switch to a set of batteries that I have installed in my truck bed through a cord and plug setup that I have to operate the power winch on my boat trailer. They are already there and all I have to do is run a few more wires and mount another plug. Might as well have a backup in case of a dead battery.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Personally I don't like adding connections to the wiring circuits because of possibility of corrosion over time. A little voltage drop here, a little there and things don't work well.

For that reason I would consider more, even a permanent solar upgrade. Other advantages besides never having to think about run down or weak batteries in storage.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote