Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Battery Disconnect Switch 2010 Flying Cloud

When the battery disconnect switch light is on: Does it mean the battery is in "use" or is being "stored"?
wscampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
It can be a little confusing.

If the trailer is not plugged in to shore power, the LED lights only in the "use" mode.

If the trailer is plugged in, the LED will be lit in both "use" and "store"'. In the "store" mode the batteries are disconnected from the electrical system. The power supplied by the converter is running the trailer and LED.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
It can be a little confusing.

If the trailer is not plugged in to shore power, the LED lights only in the "use" mode.

If the trailer is plugged in, the LED will be lit in both "use" and "store"'. In the "store" mode the batteries are disconnected from the electrical system. The power supplied by the converter is running the trailer and LED.

Regards,

JD

Thank you. My trailer is in a semi-permanent location and always plugged in to shore power. In that situation is the system continuously charging the batteries or are they completely isolated?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
If the battery switch is in the use position, yes the batteries will be boiled dry by the continuous charging.

When we are parked for a while, I switch to the store position to isolate the batteries.

Just don't forget to charge them occasionally, and to switch them back on when you disconnect from shore power.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

How do you know they are in the store mode if the light is always on when connected to shore power?
Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Seeing the light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscampo View Post
How do you know they are in the store mode if the light is always on when connected to shore power?
You can try this: Disconnect the the shore power. If your Battery Disconnect Switch light is on, then it is in "Use" position. You can than toggle the switch to put it in "Store " mode (if that's what you want) and the light will go out. Then reconnect your shore power and, if your battery disconnect switch is wired correctly, the trailer should still be in "Store" mode, even though you see the light.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
You can try this: Disconnect the the shore power. If your Battery Disconnect Switch light is on, then it is in "Use" position. You can than toggle the switch to put it in "Store " mode (if that's what you want) and the light will go out. Then reconnect your shore power and, if your battery disconnect switch is wired correctly, the trailer should still be in "Store" mode, even though you see the light.

Thank you.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
This was our first year with Bella, and made that typical mistake thinking while it was "charging" on shore power in the disconnect mode the batteries was being charge-not. When I attempted to hook up for end of season service, jack did not work. Luckily tow vehicle assisted with power once hooked up. Learning curve will be fun once we look back in the years to come. Keep a journal, this too shall pass!!
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Hi - I cannot get my battery disconnect switch light to turn off when I set it to store with the shore power disconnect. No way to isolate the battery. I think I will try replacing the switch, but am I correct to infer I can disconnect the battery at the neutral terminal to prevent drain as a short term solution.....and then when I hook up the 7-way the vehicle battery will power the jack? I ask because I am having someone else haul the trailer into winter storage and I will not be present. Thanks for any advice!
targetdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
What does the switch say? Not sure which one they are using this year or last but it does isolate the batteries from the DC system and it should be easy to tell. You can even measure the voltage on either side of the switch to tell for sure, if your batteries have rested for a few hours that is.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The battery isolator switch is simply that.......a switch. It is a momentary contact switch that operates a latching solenoid located in the front of most trailers that will close the contacts for the 'use' position and open them for the 'store' position.

Being a latching solenoid, it does not draw power from the batteries continuously after it has been set. The unit is made by Intellitec, a company that makes many electronic devices used in RVs. You probably won't see any voltage across the switch, as the connect/disconnect function occurs at the solenoid. That is where you should measure voltage.

The light at the switch panel is on continuously when on shore power, regardless of the switch position. You have to remove shore power to see what the condition of the switch is....it will be in 'use' or on when pressed up with the light on and in 'store' or batteries disconnected when pressed down with the light off.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote