Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1991 25' Excella
atlanta , Georgia
Battery disconnect help......PULEASE!

Hey Ya'll,
Newbie 1991 25' excella classic owner here. So, I've been reading and watching youtube videos regarding the battery disconnect switch. Do all airstreams have a battery disconnect switch by the entry door/stairs? I have three buttons next to my stairs (exhibit a Two of them are labelled. One is flood/on, and the other is step/on. The third button isn't labelled at all. I thought his might be my battery disconnect switch, so I toggled it on and off while disconnected to shore power, but it didn't do anything. If I don't have a battery disconnect, am I running my 12 volt off the battery all the time...even when connected to shore power?

I have a 12 vold kill switch behind my couch. I have also turned this on and off. Until recently, it would shut all the 12 volt lights off in the trailer; but now it doesn't do anything either. I'm assuming that the switch is just shot and that I need to replace it. the reason I mention this at all is just to make sure that this isn't the "battery disconnect" that I should be using when connected to shore power.

Thanks in advance for all you help in advance (and sorry for the newbie stupidity.....though I'm sure its just the
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhibit a.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	216689  

vincaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
unlabeled switch may be overhead light ... should specify in the manual.

The "battery disconnect" may not affect your 12VDC .. depending upon what was done to the trailer prior to your purchase...

But, based upon your description...
1- if plugged to SHORE... the converter provides the 12VDC...the 'disconnect' may be by passed in this situation.
2- if NOT on SHORE... the switch doesn't work.. it could be 'bad'... but, it is such a simple device, it is hard to break... (not impossible)

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The switch under the couch should turn off everything except smoke detector, propane detector, and jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1991 25' Excella
atlanta , Georgia
Thanks for the comments guys. Indeed, you are correct that the kill switch "should" cut power to everything. Nonetheless, when I disconnect shore power and then flip the kill switch, all of the 12 volt power stays on. Sooooo....the switch is either not working properly........or my airstream is even more magical than I thought it was. LOL!
I'm taking it in for service in the next couple of weeks and I'll have them check it out.
vincaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1989 32' Excella
Helena , Alabama
kill switch

The Kill switch (battery disconnect) is usually not one of those switches but a mechanical dial type switch. I agree that is is a light switch. The light bulb may be burned out and not working.
Good luck and have fun with all the mystery stuff.
Devain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #6

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The big rotary switch on my 1991 was originally a master kill, shutting off all the battery power. Previous Owner modifications had bypassed it, it's now been restored to it's original setup and yes, if the shore power is off, twisting this switch shuts off everything.

Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote