Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Battery disconnect

I've read that the AS charger can ruin batteries if left on too long. I'm at a campsite with shore power. Should I disconnect the batteries so they don't get over charged?
I did turn the disconnect switch to store position but the light is still on. Is that because I am connected to shore power? Is it smart to disconnect the batteries while connected to shore power?

Thanks.

Richard (newbie)
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Richard:

"Store" disconnects the battery from the converter/charger so it is sufficient to put the switch in "Store" if you are going to be on shore power for a while. You still have all of the 12v electronics because the converter is being fed from shore power.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Richard:

"Store" disconnects the battery from the converter/charger so it is sufficient to put the switch in "Store" if you are going to be on shore power for a while. You still have all of the 12v electronics because the converter is being fed from shore power.

Larry
Thanks. I figured that. What confuses me is that the light on the switch stays on even though I put it in "store". Is that because of the 110 shore power? Of course I could test it by disconnecting shore power which I will in two days when we pull up stakes.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

When you are plugged in to shore power, the light stays red all of the time. When you are disconnected, the light will be off in "Store"

Larry
Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
When you are plugged in to shore power, the light stays red all of the time. When you are disconnected, the light will be off in "Store"

Larry
Thanks. I figured as much but just wanted to be sure. With my brand new trailer, I just feel so stupid about so many small things. But I'm learning.

Richard
Old 01-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Yes that light will remain on when your on shore power. I had the same questions as you and also disconnected shore power then moved switch to store. Light went out. I leave mine in store mode most of the time. I do check batteries every so often just to insure they don't go dead. Here is a handy tool I use. I copied picture and placed on my phone. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1452957689.456404.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	255790

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
A bunch of us have gone thru what you are. Seems that most change out the single stage charger converter for a better unit like Progressive Dynamics Intellipower 9260. We bought ours on sale, drop shipped to the next campground. DIY installation took an afternoon. No more worries about the charger cooking the batteries.

Dreamstreamr
2005 International CCD 25SS
http://Dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Another option is to upgrade to a solar charger which includes a 3-stage battery charger. Many folks who do this keep their original converter and simply keep their trailer in the Store position when connected to shore power.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
+1 what Alano says. Similar to his suggestion, we simply turn off the charger at the breaker panel. One circuit breaker has only the charger. While electrical code and best practice preclude using a circuit breaker as an on/off switch, this has worked well for us for many years.

It allows keeping the batteries maintained on solar only. Our solar charger is very good at keeping our batteries happy and has easily-adjusted voltage float point.

Dreamstreamr
2005 International CCD 25SS
http://Dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Your solar charger, if stock, is going to charge the batteries independent of the use-store switch position as the solar panels do not connect through that relay. Solar will always charge the batteries.
Larry