Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Crossville , Tennessee
Question Battery Discharging Overnight

I bought a new battery for my 1972 Continental 31 footer. The Uni-volt system fuses all check out good. But, even though I am hooked up to 110 house electric power, the battery will be dead in the morning. Any Idea where to start looking for a dead short? Can't recharge even by hooking up to truck. Any help greatly appreciated!
Jbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Starting with a charged battery (charged externally, e.g.) compare the voltage at the battery with shore power plugged in vs. unplugged. If you're seeing a significant difference on the order of 12.5v unplugged vs. 13.5v plugged in, then the converter is working. If there's no difference, the converter is dead or not hooked up properly. If you see some difference but less than 1v, the converter isn't quite dead but it's ill.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Crossville , Tennessee
Thanks for the information. I started by taking the battery to the dealer for an overnight charge, When I picked up the battery the following day, the sales person suggested we run a check before I took it home. You guessed it! The battery showed on the print out that is was bad. Got new battery installed and I have 12 volt lighting thru out. Again thanks for your help and interest in my problem. By the way. my camper is an International. not Continental.
Jbart is offline   Reply With Quote