Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Battery Discharge

Hi...I have a 2005 Safari with two Optima amg batteried. When plugged into shore power they will charge up to about 13.7 or 13.8 volts.
As soon as I unplug from shore power the charge drops down to about 12.9 in just a short time. It then stays at 12.9 until I start using lights etc.
Is this normal? Do I have something that is drawing on the battery that I don't know about?

Also, when I go to recharge the batteries using my two Honda generators I cannot get the charge to go about 12.8 or 12.9. Again, is this normal?

Thanks everyone....

Bert

PS I have a Parallax 7300 converter (came with the AS). Do I have to be concerned about staying plugged into shore power for a long period of time?
I know it is not what is considered a 3 stage converter, but in the specs it says that when the battery reaches a full charge, the outflow drops down a few hundred milliamps. Is this ok? Does this mean I don't have to worry about overcharging my batteries?

Thanks
bertheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
How are you checking the voltage? With a multi-meter?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Yep
Old 08-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I too have agm batteries. A full charge just after coming off the converter will be 13+ volts but you must let the batteries rest for several hours to get an accurate charge reading. After several hours a voltage reading of 12.8+ IS a full charge.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
That is normal, referred to as the resting voltage but it should not drop fast depending on how fast you mean. Overnight would be normal. Optima makes a good battery except for their lower capacity.
The problem with the Parallax 7300 converters is the lack of 3 stage. They never completely charge. A bulk of 14.4 or higher is needed periodically. Optima recommends 14.7 I think for cyclic operation.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up IOTA to the rescue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertheep View Post
Hi...I have a 2005 Safari with two Optima amg batteried. When plugged into shore power they will charge up to about 13.7 or 13.8 volts.
As soon as I unplug from shore power the charge drops down to about 12.9 in just a short time. It then stays at 12.9 until I start using lights etc.
Is this normal? Do I have something that is drawing on the battery that I don't know about?

Also, when I go to recharge the batteries using my two Honda generators I cannot get the charge to go about 12.8 or 12.9. Again, is this normal?

Thanks everyone....

Bert

PS I have a Parallax 7300 converter (came with the AS). Do I have to be concerned about staying plugged into shore power for a long period of time?
I know it is not what is considered a 3 stage converter, but in the specs it says that when the battery reaches a full charge, the outflow drops down a few hundred milliamps. Is this ok? Does this mean I don't have to worry about overcharging my batteries?

Thanks
Bert,

Are you charging directly from the Honda's?, If so it will take a loooooong time at 10amps to fully charge your batteries.

Sorry to say but your PeeLax may have fried your Optima's, they don't suffer overcharging well and the PeeLax is well known for that. How fast do they drop from full charge?

I up-graded ours with an IOTA IQ4 55A two seasons ago and haven't had any charging problems at all. A quality three stage unit that will not overcook the batt's, and it's reasonably priced.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07654.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	138821  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Bob...
You mention the Iota Converter. I noticed your attached photo...looks complicated for a novice like me. Would I be able to install this in my unit? If not, who would I get to do something like this?

Regarding how I charge my batteries, I plug into shore power. If I use my Honda to top off the charge after a night of using the batteries, will it do the trick?

I took my Optimas's into a NAPA store and had then load tested and they passed the test just fine, so the batteries are ok.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up IOTA to the rescue...

Bert,

What year AS do you have.

On ours the IOTA just plugged into a nearby AC outlet, and had only three connections at the converter, hard copper ground to the chassis, red pos & white common to the converter.
You can see the connections here. The compartment is located under the front sofa/bed which makes access pretty easy.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07651.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	138863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07645.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	138864  

Name:	DSC07653.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	138865  
Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Hi Bob...
Thanks for the quick reply. We have a 2005 Safari and the 7300 is under the couch next to the sink. It has a black grate and the converter and fuse panel is behind it. Right next to the floor.

I notice the Best Converter (Randy) has an upgrade kit for the 7300 ...cost is $213.
The Iota 55 amp IQ4 is on sale for $167. Any recommendation?

Bert
Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertheep View Post
Hi Bob...
Thanks for the quick reply. We have a 2005 Safari and the 7300 is under the couch next to the sink. It has a black grate and the converter and fuse panel is behind it. Right next to the floor.

I notice the Best Converter (Randy) has an upgrade kit for the 7300 ...cost is $213.
The Iota 55 amp IQ4 is on sale for $167. Any recommendation?

Bert
Bert,

Randy did right by me and I'm a big fan of his operation and the IOTA IQ4.

Two Seasons ago I thought I was upgrading by installing Xantrex 55A.
It failed two day's into a boondocking trip...I took his advise and haven't looked back.

If you PM CrawfordGene he could give you all the skinny on what it took to install the IOTA in his Safari.

Bob
Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Thanks Bob...
I think I will call Randy on Monday.
Bert