Old 01-14-2004, 05:31 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

OK, I have a early 70'z 31 footer, and have been reading this thread bout batteries.
I have only one, [batt]
when did AS start utillizing two batts??
was this an option? standard?
sorry for the silly question.!?

markus

Old 01-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I had a new bat box made that would hold 2 bats. The box is behind the propane tanks. AS still offers only 1 battery, no options.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:49 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

ok then, thank-u for that
now if I could ask, if I add another batt, would I have to upgrade my univolt/?
markus
Old 01-14-2004, 06:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Battery Storage

FWIW:

I can confirm the the admonition "Don't store a battery on a cement floor".

For some reason, concrete zaps a battery right through the casing.

I always store Batteries on a shelf, out of the weather, or at least on some wood, but never directly on concrete.

Another reason to take them out is the chance of corrosion in the battery box. Again, it's amazing how a good system will still allow the areas around the batteries to corrode.

Don't forget to hit them with a trickle charge once or twice a month while they are in storage.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Big Dee,
If your trailer is being stored outside, buy a 5 watt solar panel with charge controller and it will keep your batteries topped off. Hook it up and run the panel to the top of the trailer where it is not readily seen. See BatteryMart for the 5 watt solar unit that has multiple stages of charging or www.pulsetech.com for their different wattage models. My batteries are kept in my Excella 500 and not removed during freezing weather. They are almost 3 years old and fresh as the day I bought them.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
Battery Life Saver

Is anyone using a battery life saver as found on the following link? If so, do they work?

http://www.battery-rechargeable-char...ife-saver.html
Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Craig,
thanks for the advice. I will look into that solar charger for sure. Every year i try to make 1 big upgrade on the safari and i was just wondering what it would be this year...

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:49 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

solar charger

Big Dee... I bought 2 solar chargers on eBay that come with VW's and are removed by the distributor before the sale....they are to keep up the battery while not iin use...they are inexpensive and work very well..just plug in a cigarette lighter...I use 2 to get sun all day as it moves in the sky...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
wannabe,
The same type of device is available through www.pulsetech.com and is run by battery power alone. Compare the Battery Saver with the Solargizer units and you will be filled with all kinds of info. The site is correct in that de-sulfating is the way to make the battery last for more years. It is well worth any money put into it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #38
Rivet Master

I use a Concorde PVX-2580L Sun Xtender, sealed AGM deep cycle battery. At 12 volt 310 amp hours it has a hefty price and about 165 pounds. You can get 10 years out of em if you take care of them.
So Far so good. I have gotten up to 15 years from some sealed batteries, but once you draw them old ones down to much they don't come back.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:25 PM   #39
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Quick-Fill for batteries

A friend of mine just purchased a unique system to fill his batteries which are really difficult to check due to being in a container not readily accessible. It is the Quick-Fill made by flow-rite (www.flow-rite.com/marine)

Essentially you replace the tops on the batteries with ones that have a float in them connected to a tube from which you squeeze a bulb drawing water from a jug and top up the batteries. When they are full the floats prevent more water from being added.

This seems really useful - cost is $60 at Bass Pro Shops and $70 at Cabelas for a two battery setup.

I am seriously thinking about this for my rig which has 4 batteries. Currently I use Interstate SRM-27s but have thought maybe the Optima or Lifeliner would be a better way to go albeit the Amp hr ratings are lower.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:38 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Pine , Colorado
Where & What Kind of Battery

Need to find a battery for our 1960 Overlander. The battery compartment is on the front and has two connections. We were told to get a tractor battery.....that it would fit into the compartment.

Lone Ranger is not here so I'm trying to find one on my own.....(I'm Mrs. Lone Ranger )

The battery compartment measurments:
20 inches across
4 3/4 front to back
10 inches deep

Just need to know where to start looking on the internet to get an idea of how to get one that will fit into the battery holder.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mrs. LR
Old 05-14-2004, 07:44 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Twin Batteries

Just a quick comment. It was said that Airstream does not offer twin batteries. That must be incorrect as my 2000 Excella 30' has twin batteries in separate compartments either side of the hitch. I thought that was the normal arrangement. Surely they haven't gone back to a single battery?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:33 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zduke4x
Big Dee... I bought 2 solar chargers on eBay that come with VW's and are removed by the distributor before the sale....they are to keep up the battery while not iin use...they are inexpensive and work very well..just plug in a cigarette lighter...I use 2 to get sun all day as it moves in the sky...jem
Interesting. My Jetta came with a trickle charger, and I was thinking of using it for this purpose. Why use 2? So there is one in the sun all the time, or is one charger inadequate?

Also interesting is what dealers/distributors will remove before selling a vehicle. I remember buying a '96 4X4 F150 with no rear bumper. None of the F150s on the lot had them, and since everybody has different needs for a bumper, we thought it was a cost cutting thing from Ford. Found out later the dealer was removing them and selling them as an aftermarket part. We got a better bumper elsewhere, but still, it is so hard to prove that somone's not being completely honest about what they sell.