Old 07-11-2002, 06:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Just be sure that what ever brand of battery you install, IF it is a conventional maintenence style, that you have adequate ventilation to remove the hydrogen build up. Everytime it charges, those little bubbles you see in there are hydrogen being released from the water. All it takes is one spark.

The beauty of the Optima's is that ventilation is not a problem as they are gel filled, sealed batteries. There are other brands that have this same feature. Sometimes safety features aren't cheap.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 07:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
What "top color" is the best?

Old 07-11-2002, 12:04 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Optima

The "Yellow Top" would be best for RV use in my opinion. But the YT only has 55 ah of capacity. However, they say you can run them down to zero up to 350 times before they are damaged. I would not recommend anyone run ANY battery down to zero though. I am running an Exide combo "Starting and Deep Cycle" group 27 battery with 95 ah of capacity, and I can go about 2 days on it, running lights and water pump. My truck has a second battery in it, with a disconnect solonoid, but it is a "cranking" battery. I can last almost 2 days. I think they have a website at http://www.optima.com
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 12:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Forum Link to Optima Info....

Scroll down in the link below.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=optima

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

I had two Delco Voyagers last ten years. Infact I replaced them just because of their age. They still worked, they didn't seem too be as strong as they had been & I didn't want to be out in the middle of no where & need two new batteries. I bought two Optimas Yellow Tops on ebay for about $130 each. We were in Death Valley in Feb & they held up fine for four days. I also bought a Optima Red top ( ebay for about $110 ) for my Suburban when it was about a year old. The GM trucks with the side mount batteries will some times leak acid down the cables & make a bad mess. I replaced it so I wouldn't have that problem.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 11:29 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

marion , Illinois
batteries

Interesting info. I learn so much from this forum.

No one has mentioned that "maintanence free" batteries are a hoax, a scam, an industry rip-off. Every battery that I have seen in the last hundred years has top caps that remove, allowing one to add water. As a battery gets charged, it boils off a slight amount of water. Eventually the plates will be exposed to the air as the water level drops. Your battery is ruined and you have to buy another battery.
Take a screw driver and pry to caps off your battery. Add distilled water to keep the plates covered. Then you won't have to buy batteries as often.
I have always bought my batteries at Wal-mart. Why? Service. I get the maximum warrantee period, maybe 7 years. When my battery gives it up after 3 or 4, they pro-rate and a new one costs me very little. Plus, if you need one in Timbuctu, Idaho, you can get a replacement since there are Wal-marts everywhere.

Don, Kay and Max the Mastiff
'69 Overlander
'69 Avion Slide-in
'96 Starcraft

You can never have too many campers

'69 Overlander
'69 Avion Slide-In
'96 Starcraft Pop-up

You can never have too many campers
pebblepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 02:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
OPTIMA BATTERY. I read on the web that the Yellow and Blue top units are the same, except the warranty is longer on the Blue top by 12 months. Does anyone know if this is true?

I have priced them and I can get 2~AC Delco Voyager batteries for the price of 1 Optima battery. What should I do? Is the Optima thatmuch better than the Voyager?
Old 07-12-2002, 05:31 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Battery ventilation

Speaking of battery ventillation, our 1971 23' Safari has a rubber tube in the battery cabinet that goes up to a small vent hole to the outside. The other end of the tube is just laying down on the bottom of the battery area. Is this correct? We have only had the trrailer about six weeks and are still preparing it for the road, so don't know all the answers. Also, the old maintenance free batteries that I plan to replace didn't have any covers that could be removed. Therefore, is ventillation still necessary? Thanks for any advice. I plan to buy new batteries soon.
Dan
Old 07-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Dwight,
You'll probably get all kinds of answers of which battery to buy because we use what works for us. I've had a Sears Diehard that was bad straight off the Sears rack but 4 other Diehards that were fine. I've had maintenance free batteries go bad before 4 years and those you could add water go bad in the same length of time. The Delco sealed maintenance battery in my wife's '95 Astrovan gave up the ghost at 5 yrs. and the one in my '92 Chevy Z71 last 6 yrs. It all depends on how the battery has been treated i.e. one bad alternator can kill a battery in no time.

Jim W obviously charged his batteries with care, no overcharging and therefore no water loss. Hook up a fast charger on your batteries after running them down all the way and I guarantee you they will not last long. For what it's worth, buy the Voyagers and spend the rest of your money on a BatteryMinder from www.batterymart.com or a GOOD 12 volt converter that charges your batteries in steps.

If you have room for 6 volt Trojan golf cart batteries, 4 of them give you over 400 AmpHr. of battery power and the ability to check your water whenever you want. I did not have the space for 4 much less 2 of them. I've been happy with my choice.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Optima Battery

Has anyone had any experience using Optima batteries on Airstreams? Which one did you use?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:15 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Re: Optima Batteries

I use a pair of the deep cycle yellow tops. They work very well though they are somewhat expensive. I also have a single deep cycle blue top which is generally used as a marine battery but which can also be used with an RV. I plan on working this into the battery rotation this summer. Costco has the blue tops at a decent price.

Montanaandy
Old 11-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Installed two yellow-tops in my '99 Limited. No issues so far. I believe Sams is also carrying the Optima batteries, including the yellow-top.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Just bought a new Optima yellow top, after some off roading friends sold me on it.
I will use it for the house battery, now that my Delco is dead beyond revival.
Hopefully it will do as they said and withstand the abuse!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Ok, as I read this thread, i guess i have to remove my batteries when I store for the season? My storage yard does not have elect so that means they have to be removed, right? I need two new ones and I want to take good care of them. I guess my old ones discharged to nothing everytime I put the AS away for the season and now they won't hold a charge. It looks like the most recommended bat from this thread would be an Optima YT? I've always been a diehard fan but got to go with what is recommended. Thanks for the advice.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote