Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
I second the motion to contact Randy at Best Converter. Tell him ALL the parameters of your situation: what you got, what you don't want and why, and what you're trying to accomplish when you are all done. He listens well and will discuss why a particular component is desirable. Personally, I've gone with solar battery charging for two trailers now (in addition to my home), and am convinced that it is the least trouble and expense in the long run, though not the cheapest in the short run.

And for least first cost with reliability and low maintenance, I would highly recommend a good quality converter to intelligently charge your batteries when AC is available. No substitute for good quality and high capacity deep cycle batteries.

Never forget that cheap is not the same as inexpensive. jim

jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Yes you can use a charger plugged into your 120 outlet. I did this for almost a year cause my converter would not charge my batteries. I have a good 3 stage charger and it did the job. I finally this spring installed a Progressive Dynamics 9200 45 amp converter and it was easy to do and works like a dream. It really was a lot easier than I thought to do.

Good luck,

Originally Posted by 63Sfri View Post
Please feel free to point be to another thread, but my '63 Safari only charges when connected to the tow vehicle. That's fine, but I would like to have the 12v kept charged when camping to run my fan and ext. light etc.

So, can I connect to city power at the camp ground, plug a battery charger to one of the 120v external plugs on the camper (in case the camp ground only has 30 / 50 AMP connections) and charge the battery that way while in use?

Any recommendations on small quality chargers for this purpose would be appreciated as well.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota

Since your trailer is wired so that the lights etc run off 120v when you are camping, and since you intend to leave it that way, a small converter/charger is all you need and will keep costs down and give you a smaller, lighter unit.

Iota DLS-30-M 12 volt 30 amp regulated battery charger
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
I installed a small marine battery charger/ maintainer to charge my battery every time I plug into shore power. I still use the seperate systems the 63 came with. 110 volt s while i'm pluged in and 12 volt when boondocking. Check my pictures, I posted one of the charger setup a while back. It works great for me and keeps it simple.
2005 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese Trunnion Bar with dual cam sway control
Prodigy P3 brake control
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
1972 21' Globetrotter
Papillion , I'm Everywhere MAn
I may be naive, but . . . (external float charger options)

I am thinking along the same line as the original poster. I have a "smart" three stage float charger that I paid $70. I have used it to charge batteries at home before I leave to go camping in my 1972 Globetrotter. My trailer does not have a converter/inverter. I do have easy access to my battery compartment. I have a small generator.

I would like to simply plug in the external float charger into an AC 120V outlet receptacle in the trailer. Then plug the shoreline power cord into the generator to provide power to the AC 120V receptacle in the trailer.

Can I leave the charger hooked up to the battery while running 12V, or do I need to disconnect the battery everytime first?

If this won't work, can't I use a male 7 pin adaptor in the same manner?

I know this is skinning the last cat, but my motivation is money. I have exhausted a lot of it on a complete axle. I don't want to buy a converter/inverter right now. I don't have one, so both AC and DC are independent as of now.

Any Help Appreciated

Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
1964 22' Safari
Houston , Texas
I had a similar issue and have been too busy to tear into it, so as an interum solution - I added a 2amp trickle charger, added an on/off switch and while it's connected to shore power switch that thing on. It automatically shuts down when fully charged. I have it connected directly to the battery. The brand is Peak and is sold at Pep Boys for about 20.00. Very small and compact and works great for now.
Castiniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1963 22' Safari
Dallas , Texas
Well, I decided to call Randy and install the converter. Randy was very helpful, but Amazon ended up having the converter cheaper (by a good amount) so I got it from there. Very easy install, and worth the effort. This is certainly a do it yourself job if you've got the 120 power available near the battery. Nice not to have to worry about the battery anymore and I can have my running lights and fan on at night without having to worry about it.

Thanks to the board on the recommendation and encouragement.

63Sfri is offline   Reply With Quote