Old 10-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
roanoke , Virginia
Question battery charging problem

I own a 1978-9 Airstream Excella 24ft. mid kitchen motorhome.I can't keep the on board batteries charged.they charge when I'm running but not when I'm on shore power.Is my inverter messed up?

Art Wilson

540art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Charging problem 24 Axcella.

Originally Posted by 540art
I own a 1978-9 Airstream Excella 24ft. mid kitchen motor home.I can't keep the on board batteries charged.they charge when I'm running but not when I'm on shore power.Is my inverter messed up?

Art Wilson
Hi Art. Yes, your converter may not be working, however it is also possible that you have a draw somewhere. In this case, the charge rate from alternator being much higher than your on board charger, may be able to sustain the charge in batteries. However, when on shore power, your discharge rate could be higher than what the converter is able to replace. Second thing to address, is the testing of your batteries. You may have one bad battery pulling down the good one. Once you are satisfied that your batteries are good, go to next step. Find the charge wires leading from converter to batteries. Disconnect positive side and place an Ampmeter in line of the positive wire. Plug in your Shore power. Observe proper polarity on your Ampmeter, they will read both ways, and you may observe discharge while it is actually showing a charge. With batteries partially discharged, you should observe same Amperage as the rating of your converter, unless batteries are unable to take a charge. Good reading on the charger may indicate that you have a draw somewhere as well. To confirm it, disconnect the positive wire from the battery. Hook up Ampmeter in line of that positive cable [observe polarity]. With circuit breakers off and all appliances and the switches off, you should not observe any draw. Draw at this point will indicate shorted wire from battery to circuit breaker box. Next turn the circuit breakers on one at the time, while observing the Ampmeter. With all switches and appliances off, if you observe a draw with the breaker on, that particular circuit is shorted. If no draw is observed on any circuit breakers with all appliances and switches off, the problem may be in one or more of individual circuits. Further tests are done by turning on one circuit at the time while observing Ampmeter. Any unusually high draw may indicate a problem. It is also possible that one of your appliances may be at fault. If you need more specifics PM me. Good luck. "Boatdoc"

boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
Currently Looking...
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
roanoke , Virginia
Dear Boatdoc,
Thanks much for the info on the charging problem.I'll try this in a day or two and let ya know.

540art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
battery charging

I've just recently discovered that you must actually push the "use" side of the store/use switch if you've had it in "store" mode and then plug in shore power.

If the store/use was already in "use" before plugging in shore power then disregard the rest of my post.

I had mistakenly assumed that just because the red light on the switch came on that the connection had been made to the batteries from the charger...nope!

I, like you, was getting charge current from the TV, but not shore power...unless I cycled the store/use switch.

So far, this procedure is correct and does not indicate a problem with either my store/use switch, cut-off relay or converter/charger.

B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote