Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Battery Charger

I have to put my Bambi in off-site storage for a couple months. There will be no electricity available, so I will be putting the batteries in the basement on a trickle charge.

I have read posts in the past that high light the importance of putting the batteries on a board so that they don't sit on the concrete.

I am wondering if anyone can advise me as to what I am looking for in a charger. Specific model recommendations would really be appreciated! I am battery dumb, de-dumb, dumb. The Bambi has two batteries.

Also, is there anything else I should be thinking about for short-term, off-site storage? I have a boot for the Bambi, so it ain't going. It will be a fenced off area of a reputable campground.

Thank you!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Paul.

I have my two interstate batteries in the basement for the winter, or until we venture out again.

I bought a charger called a Battery-Minder. Here is their link:

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12112.htm

I have both batteries in maintenance mode with this charger, and I think you can do up to four at a time. They cost about $50.00

This last fall I also bought a set of tire protector/covers for winter storage to protect from UV.

If you get the tire covers from Camping World, then this is exactly what you need: Camping World "Adco ULTRA TYRE GARD" NUMBER 3. These are the ones they sell for tire diameter of 27" to 29"

Harm coming from batterys on concrete is apparently a myth. This coming from interstate.

We keep the shades closed to minimize damage from sunlight exposure.

Best.

Jonathan
Old 02-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
I would remove Batterys and and give each of them a slow charge untill both are fully charged and then store battery's untill just before you reinstall in trailer recheck charge if still fully charged reinstall if not recharge then reinstall. You can go to any auto parts store and buy a battery charger, get a small charger that has a setting switch from 2 amp to 30amp that is all you will need to maintane your batterys. allways remove charger after the battery is fully charged if you leave on battery you could boil out the acid or fire may result and never leave a charging battery unattended.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thank you, Jonathan! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I assume the thing is easy to hook-up. I usually have the Bambi plugged into the house, but will be moving soon so I have to store it briefly during the transition. Sure will miss not having right next to the house!

Thanks again!

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 02-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A small trickle charger will be sufficient, maximum output maybe 2 amps. Also, the battery on a board is an old wive's tale. The only time you would need to do it is if the concrete floor is painted, to keep from damaging the painted floor.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Paul,
A lot of advice, some good, some bad, however, I suggest you check a battery manufacturer website for real facts. It seems Jonathan has done some of that with his use of the battery minder. The battery maintainers are the best thing that EVER came on the scene, just a slight bit more expensive than a trickle charger, but oh, so much better. The board thing really is a myth. Fill to proper level, keep them CLEAN, out of freezing temps, and hook a maintainer to them using jumpers, sit back and watch Nascar!
The best thing, however, is to get in it and go!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have both the 1 amp and 4 amp BatteryMinders. They both work great. I bought both through www.batterymart.com While my current trailer has an Intellipower converter with Charge Wizzard which really negates the use of the BatteryMinders, I like the units so much that I have been using them on my vehicles.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thanks all! I think the batteyminder is the ticket. Will I be able to hook-up both batteries with what comes with it or will I need to purchase additional hook-up wires thingies?

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 02-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
luckydc,

That is an 'Old Wives Tale' (sorry girls....). There is absolutely no truth that batteries act any differently when placed on a concrete floor! Put them where you want....just be sure you use a quality 3 stage charger to maintain them and check the electrolyte level every 2 weeks.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Paul.

To keep both batteries maintaining simultaniously, use the short jumper cables that are attached to your bats. one is a red cable and the other black, both about 8"long.

Also carefully pry off the caps to check the water level before charging, and if necessary add distilled water. Others know much more about this part than me.

If you are just storing batteries for a few weeks or month, maybe you don't have to do anything. Check the voltage of each battery after it has been "resting" for 8 hours or so. Mine after a "rest" read about 12.6 volts.

I think this is good, but there are experts waiting for me to to see how my foot tastes!

Cheers.

Jonathan
Old 02-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
Thanks all! I think the batteyminder is the ticket. Will I be able to hook-up both batteries with what comes with it or will I need to purchase additional hook-up wires thingies?
If your 2 batteries are wired together already in your trailer, just hook up the ring terminals (on the connector provided with the kit) to one battery and the BatteryMinder charges both. I never had a single problem with my 2 Delco Voyager batteries this way. Both charged equally.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote