Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
Question Battery Cable Too Short

We just purchased a 2010 27' Front Bedroom Classic Limited. When I attempted to service the batteries, I needed to disconnect the positive cable from the battery in order to slide the battery out of the left battery compartment (the right battery cables are long enough to slide the battery out without disconnecting either cable). Since I would like to service the battery without disconnecting the positive cable and because I do not like using a wrench on the positive terminal so close to the aluminum shell, I would like to replace the battery cable. The problem I am having is getting access to the battery compartment from inside of the trailer. There is a small access panel for some of the electrical connections under the bed but it does not allow access to the battery compartments. Do I have to remove the bed frame and cabinets, then remove the "box" that covers the front compartments? If so, how do I go about this?
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
_

. , .
queen bed?

start by dragging the mattress OUT of the area.

platform should LIFT up and the battery boxes should be visible.

it's very cumbersome to work through the frame/platform, so...

ultimately the bed frame may need to be UNscrewed from the floor and removed 2.

i don't recall ne1 with a front bed classic posting pics of THIS AREA (bed/storage/battery boxes)...

so IF YOU POST PIX it will help everyone and might generate better ideas from others.

totally different model and but here's an example of taking out the bed frame for access to that space...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...-se-56222.html

my understanding is the battery wires are PRE CUT so it's hard to imagine they are too short,

of course they COULD be or the installer may have been given the wrong set for this floor plan.

OR they may be poorly positioned, with TOO MUCH of the cable INSIDE vs outside...

which means there may be enough length to PULL some outside and solve the issue.

but before tugging identify the wires INSIDE/along the wall and have some sealant handy to REseal the hole.

this is the typical front sofa wiring in a classic and the fat RED wires screwed to the wall are the issue...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...tml#post834064

again a front sofa layout but the photos in post #8 below more clearly show the battery boxes and wiring along the wall

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...tml#post769671

the take home message is that removing INTERIOR furnishings and cabinetry provides MUCH better access.

toss up some pix of your layout and that space.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Is the ground cable long enough to just turn the battery around and still get the battery out for service?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Sounds like a warranty issue to me. The dealer should thank you for the opportunity to fix it.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
2airishuman

Thank you for the reply. I will post some photographs on Monday. We are taking the 27FB on is maiden voyage tomorrow.

HowieE

There is no way that the battery can be turned or repositioned. The cable is barely long enough to go straight up from where it enters the battery box to the positive terminal.

Over59,

When I contacted an airstream dealer, they suggested that they would cut off the battery connector, solder on a new length of cable and insulate it with shrink wrap. Sound like a jury-rig to me.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well, it's your trailer, but I would make these observations:

1) If you can more easily get at the negative terminals of both (or all if you have more than two) batteries, disconnect those first, and the shore power, and then it doesn't matter if you short the positive to ground any more.

2) Tape your wrench and any other tools you use. The guys I know who work on the -48vdc systems at telcos and the +24vdc systems at cell sites do hot work all the time and the key to doing it safely is to wrap any metallic tools in electrical tape so that they will not produce a short in the event of a slip or other mishap.

3) Use the most appropriate tools for the job. If you need a u-joint socket, a longer extension, or a crowfoot wrench to undo the terminal, then go buy one. It will be cheaper and less hassle than screwing around putting in a longer cable

my two cents
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Our older AS with the same two compartments and have quick-disconnects, two prong plugs for the POS and NEG battery cables, so that you can unplug the connection - then slide the battery out of the compartment with the 'harness' cables attached to the battery terminals...

Without that Q-D, to remove the battery, it would be nearly impossible to unbolt the cables from the battery...From your description, it appears AS has changed that installation, removing the Q-D plug and battery harness from the set-up...really a shame, as the Q-D makes it a slick, easy to remove set-up...

Is it possible that your AS also has this kind of Q-D harness, and it's tucked away where you can't see it...or it's laying under the battery when it got shoved together?...if your POS cable is all that short, I find it hard to visualize how AS got it together in the first place - OR - did the selling dealer install the batteries?

Just some thoughts...

Ray
Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJohnson View Post
Over59,

When I contacted an airstream dealer, they suggested that they would cut off the battery connector, solder on a new length of cable and insulate it with shrink wrap. Sound like a jury-rig to me.
It is a jury rig. you can loosen the connector going through the box into the trailer. it is a compression fitting.
I would demand your dealer fix it properly.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Call the factory. Tell them the problem and the half a.. solution you were offered. This is a defect in manufacturing that is easy to fix with a little skill and effort. Folks here may be interested in the name of the dealer so they can avoid their shop if the service manager is so ready to screw over a new purchaser. If you let them put you off with this they'll do the same thing when the next problem comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJohnson View Post
2airishuman

Thank you for the reply. I will post some photographs on Monday. We are taking the 27FB on is maiden voyage tomorrow.

HowieE

There is no way that the battery can be turned or repositioned. The cable is barely long enough to go straight up from where it enters the battery box to the positive terminal.

Over59,

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I agree with Over59. This issue falls under the warranty. I would have them fix it and fix it right. If you must, get JC involved.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
One other thing to check. Lift the couch or what ever is over the battery boxes on the inside of the trailer. Look at the amount of cable that may be slack on that side of the box. If there is slack loosen the Heyco Connector on the box and slide in as much slack as you can.

When repairing my rear floor I found more than 6 ft of extra shore line wound up in the belle pan.

If you have to add cable I would do it inside the trailer, and make the connection on a terminal block rather than a splice, and slip the original through the Heyco connector into the battery box. Do not let them make a soldered connection, especially not in the box.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You could install these disconnects

McMaster-Carr
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #13

2008 27' Classic FB
South Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Replace Curb Side Battery Cable

I need to replace the Curb Side Positive Battery Cable on our 2008 Classic 27FB (crack in the terminal clamp). Waiting until it fails is not an option. Any ideas on how to replace it? Can't find where the cable runs to and don't want to splice it, unreliable long term. Pictures would help! Many Thanks.
Wild Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Just the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rose View Post
I need to replace the Curb Side Positive Battery Cable on our 2008 Classic 27FB (crack in the terminal clamp). Waiting until it fails is not an option. Any ideas on how to replace it? Can't find where the cable runs to and don't want to splice it, unreliable long term. Pictures would help! Many Thanks.

This style has worked well on our boat. Solid electrical connection, good quality. Good for a race car, should work on an AS.

OH....by the way, WELCOME ABOARD!!

Bob
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Wild Rose,

I just replaced all 4 terminals with eyelets. My cables are a #6 so I found #6 crimp eyelet ends, they can be insulated or w/o but the ones I found at hardware store on had a 1/4" hole, battery is 5/16". Got my drill and took care of that issue. I have a pair of Klein lineman pilers that will crimp the connection if you use it w/o insulation. Then I used heat shrink tubing and maintained the terminal covers for safety. The disconnects are also available thru Grainger, they are the small version of what is commonly used on lift truck battery connections, select by wire size and I think crimping required. I've considered them also. The square lug I think is a lug used in house wiring.

Good luck,

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TERMINAL A.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	184355   Click image for larger version

Name:	TERMINAL B.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	184356  

S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
If all you need is a new terminal, you can get a high-quality solder pot terminal from any good auto parts place or Del City or any number of other places. They have solder slugs you put in the pot on the terminal, heat with a torch, and push the wire into the pot. I've found them to be extremely reliable.