Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Battery Cable Question

2016 Flying Cloud 27FB

There are two sets of main leads. One set has standard battery clamps. The other has ring terminals.

What does each set power?

Thanks in advance.
Ernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernster View Post
2016 Flying Cloud 27FB

There are two sets of main leads. One set has standard battery clamps. The other has ring terminals.

Thanks in advance.
I don't think we understand your question. Can you clarify, post a picture?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Just a wild guess but if your trailer has a solar panel then the ring terminals may connect the solar charger.

Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Nope. No solar panels.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Found my answer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernster View Post
2016 Flying Cloud 27FB

Thanks in advance.
4 ga leads go to the inverter. 6 ga leads go to the 12 volt distribution bus.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
how to install battery disconnect?

Ernster, I was looking at the battery box on my new 2016 25 FC today and noticed the two pair of leads. Thanks for clarifying this. I was thinking about installing some sort of battery disconnect for storage.

Looking for advise on how to do this with the standard Interstate lead acid batteries. Any suggestions would be appreciated by this newbie.

Dave
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Airstream has a bad habit of using all 4 battery terminals when they add an inverter.

You would be ahead of the curve to connect all positive leads to the positive terminal of battery 1 and all negative leads to the negative terminal of battery 2.

I would also replace those mealy parallel cables and upgrade than from the ridiculous 6AWG that Airstream uses to a minimum of 2AWG.

If you wish to use a battery disconnect switch, it can be placed on the positive terminal with a 2AWG positive cable. Then run both of the trailer's positive feed cables to the downside of the disconnect switch.

This will shut ALL of the 12 VDC loads with a single turn of the switch.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Ernster, I was looking at the battery box on my new 2016 25 FC today and noticed the two pair of leads. Thanks for clarifying this. I was thinking about installing some sort of battery disconnect for storage.

Looking for advise on how to do this with the standard Interstate lead acid batteries. Any suggestions would be appreciated by this newbie.

Dave
Yeah.....What Lew said. LOL
Old 06-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
[QUOTE=lewster;1800891]Airstream has a bad habit of using all 4 battery terminals when they add an inverter.

You would be ahead of the curve to connect all positive leads to the positive terminal of battery 1 and all negative leads to the negative terminal of battery 2.

I would also replace those mealy parallel cables and upgrade than from the ridiculous 6AWG that Airstream uses to a minimum of 2AWG.

If you wish to use a battery disconnect switch, it can be placed on the positive terminal with a 2AWG positive cable. Then run both of the trailer's positive feed cables to the downside of the disconnect switch.

I have a 2016 internalional 27fb with an inverter and have the same wiring as the OP. What would be gained by connecting all the positive leads to one battery and all negative leads to the second battery?
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
[QUOTE=Papa smurf;1801033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Airstream has a bad habit of using all 4 battery terminals when they add an inverter.

I have a 2016 internalional 27fb with an inverter and have the same wiring as the OP. What would be gained by connecting all the positive leads to one battery and all negative leads to the second battery?
Standard practice is to only one one 'set' of output terminals on any paralleled bank of batteries. This includes any multiple numbers of the same batteries, like Airstream provides as standard equipment.

The parallel connections essentially create one big battery of 12VDC (nominal) and as many amp/hours of capacity as you have batteries, as the voltage remains a constant and the amperage adds in a parallel connection.

You can be sure that the internal cell-to-cell connectors in any battery of the size in question uses far heavier bus bars than the extremely small 6AWG parallel cables that Airstream uses. Interconnecting cables should be able to easily handle the highest potential amperage while the battery is discharging.

To your question; a single connection on each battery as described above will assure you of using all of the battery cells equally during discharge. This will give your battery cells an equal 'workout' during any discharge event and also allows for a single cable connection to a disconnect switch for complete battery isolation.

And BTW, I'm no fan of the automotive type battery clamps that Airstream uses in every trailer they build. Proper deep cycle systems always use solid copper eyelets that can be attached to the battery with either a nut or bolt, tightened to the battery manufacturer's recommended torque. Battery clamps just don't cut it.....especially when they loosen and create enough heat to melt the terminals!!!
Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:

Lew Farber
541-490-6357

Thanks for the advice! Not sure I am confident of making the recommended changes myself, but what you are suggesting make sense.
Some of the videos I have seen on a battery disconnect say they should be used on the negative terminal so I am confused but my understanding of electrical systems is obviously very limited. Lew, until, I can get some local professional help, here in NW Georgia, what should I disconnect on the current set up that will keep my batteries from draining while in storage?

Thanks again for your expertise and the other comments. Maybe eventually I will get a clue!

Dave
Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:

Thanks for the advice! Not sure I am confident of making the recommended changes myself, but what you are suggesting make sense.
Some of the videos I have seen on a battery disconnect say they should be used on the negative terminal so I am confused but my understanding of electrical systems is obviously very limited. Lew, until, I can get some local professional help, here in NW Georgia, what should I disconnect on the current set up that will keep my batteries from draining while in storage?

Thanks again for your expertise and the other comments. Maybe eventually I will get a clue!

Dave
Dave,

When you remove a battery terminal to isolate a battery bank that is in place, you always remove the negative terminal first. This serves a dual purpose and is safety related: if you happen to contact the battery box housing with the wrench, there is no difference in electrical potential as the frame is also the ground and there will be no spark or damage. Doing the same on the positive terminal could create a welded wrench-to frame situation. Second, if the negative battery terminal happens to contact the frame or box wall, again, nothing happens.

This situation is moot if you install a battery disconnect switch, as all of the marine grade disconnect switches that I use (Blue Sea Systems M-Series) have fully enclosed and water-proof contacts that will not produce any type of arcing.

Major disconnect switches and fusing systems are always placed in the positive cable runs according to the ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council). The M-Series switches are also ABYC approved.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:

This will shut ALL of the 12 VDC loads with a single turn of the switch
What would be the best place to install the battery disconnect switch, is there enough space to locate it inside the battery box or if it needs to be outside do you drill a hole in the battery box to run the cables. Would mounting it on top of the battery box make sense providing you have cables long enough to open the battery box.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I usually put them on the outside of the battery box. They are waterproof and rated for outdoor use. There should be sufficient space in the existing cable entry holes to run 2AWG and the ground cables.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 06-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Any suggestions on any type/style/brand of battery disconnect switch?
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Blue Sea Systems M-Series

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 06-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thanks much!
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Thanks Lew! Do you make house calls? LOL I imagine you are already back in Oregon. Until I can get a pro to rewire the batteries per your suggestion, can I just disconnect one of the negative cables or do I need to disconnect both?

Dave
Old 06-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks Lew! Do you make house calls? LOL I imagine you are already back in Oregon. Until I can get a pro to rewire the batteries per your suggestion, can I just disconnect one of the negative cables or do I need to disconnect both?

Dave

If you have the stock battery arrangement of 2 group 24s in parallel, simply remove the both small cables that connect the two batteries. That will effectively break the circuit without having to also remove the automotive type connectors.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #20
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
If you have the stock battery arrangement of 2 group 24s in parallel, simply remove the both small cables that connect the two batteries. That will effectively break the circuit without having to also remove the automotive type connectors.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Thanks! Yes sir, the two stock 24s. So I disconnect the small black negative parallel cable, then the small red parallel cable and all is disconnected?

Dave
Sorry to be so dim.