Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
Battery boxes and mounting

I just ordered to Lifeline GPL-4CT 6 volt batteries to install on my 2005 22 foot safari. I've been looking for a battery box for this, but can't seem to find one locally. I've looked online, and been shocked by the price ($100) for a plastic box. My bigger concern, however, is that the outside dimensions of the box seem to be too large to mount in the space between my propane tanks and my front power jack. Any recommendations on the specific battery box and mounting ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Yes, those rotary molded battery boxes aren't might look into using a rotary molded water tank in the size you need and make it into a 'battery box' - they are more compact and might fit in your space.

One comment...after installing your batteries, make sure that they are braced inside so that they don't move around when you're on the road. It doesn't take much to abrade a hole in a battery case if there is constant movement...and if a couple of stones get inside, it'll happen before you know it...those are expensive batteries, protect them. I have even used that spray foam you buy in a can to secure batteries inside a box, works great, and can be scraped out when it's time to replace.

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Did you try here?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
I have nearly the same problem with my 1960 safari. I am thinking of moving the LP tanks closer to the front, and putting a battery box behind them. I like those boxes shown in the link that Aerowood sent. I guess these boxes would need some sort of steel frame to sit in.
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Aero's got the exact kind of construction I was thinking about, above...that kind is going to have the least section thickness...unless you custom build something out of Steel or Aluminum. Again use something inside to keep the batteries from moving around...
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote