Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Aldergrove , British Columbia
Battery Box Help for Little Trailers?

Greetings,

I'm plugging away on our Caravel and it's time to refit the plumbing and electrical prior to the lumber going back in.

My question is this. What are people using for a battery box? Our trailer had a tray that was up on stilts to allow the plumbing to run under it and keep it off the floor. The original tray is a little beat up, although I could probably get it welded up again (one of the supports broke off the tray).

Further, the battery, although held down, was not enclosed in it's own box and I suppose subjected the occupants to "nasty gas"... Anyway, I don't want to put a vent through the wall if it can be helped.

Any alternative ideas?

Cheers,

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3625.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	23603  
Frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Yep! get an AGM Battery no venting required. There are several different ones on the market, so search around for the best value for your needs.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you don't want to vent outside, I would suggest an AGM battery. You could get a cheapo battery box or even build one yourself. Remember that the "nasty gas" not only smells bad, it will explode!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Thanks!

Is the AGM battery a "gel" type? If so, will my new Intellipower treat it with respect?

Sean
Old 07-15-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
AGM's are not gel cell batteries. You should not have to make any changes to your charge system.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You can buy a vented battery box at many RV parts houses. LaVanture products makes one.

I just bought one for about $26. It's plastic, has a tongue and groove seal. You do need a hose and outside vent.

I plan to use AGM batteries, but I still use a vented box. I never know what the next owner may do.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
bfk
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Eugene , Oregon
Venting a battery box

I'm thinking to replace the old front-mounted tractor battery on the Bambi with something less mid-twentieth century.

(See the picture for what 45 years of acid spills will do aluminium. You can actually see through the bottom of the box.)

I love the simplicity (if not the expense) of AGM batteries. I noticed some folks recommend venting even AGM batteries just in case. My question is how.

Since there was no internal battery originally, there is no vent currently and I'm loath to cut holes in the skin. I've heard of people running a vent tube out the floor, but hydrogen isn't going to sink unless there some pressure behind it.

Any thoughts, oh ones wise in the way of hydrogen.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MajorCorrosion.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	23610  
bfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
How 'bout tying it into your plumbing stack. Of course if you're the type who enjoys a smoke on the john in the morning... maybe not!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
bfk
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Eugene , Oregon
The problem is that the only space for the battery is under the front seat, and the plumbing is nowhere near.

I'm thinking maybe a small hole in the interior skin and a tube running up to some kind of vent around where the rotted out battery box now lies.

The old box is so rotted that I'm thinking to either remove it completely or have a new one made (just for completeness) and use it as a toolbox.

To paraphrase Neil Young, corrosion never sleeps.
bfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
take a look at Dennis' Sovereign project where he put the battery in a case in the tongue. Seems like a good idea.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi,

We have a 1963 Bambi that used to have a battery box... my husband took it out and we put in a AGM battery. He just secured it so it couldn't tip over in a (heaven forbid) roll-over... or something. It saved a lot of space under the couch taking out the battery box, and it has worked like a champ! Very happy with our decision.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Smile

I relocated the battery in my Globtrotter and went with an Optima and have been very pleased.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello bfk,
most BMW s use a vented battery in the trunk and run a small plastic hose venting to the outside bottom of the car ,so it will vent outside so a small hole thru the floor will be fine .On the caravel you also could fabricate a outer door with punched louvers to vent it outside .The AMG and the optimas
are a great choice.I am stuck for know with the forklift battery and the box is in good shape .I use a small float charger at all times to keep it stable ,
it doesn't overcharge either so it works for now.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
If you choose to use a battery box and vent it, the box must be well sealed where wires come and go! The gas is Hydrogen which is lighter than air and as noted several times above it is highly explosive. Since gassing does not normally occur at a high rate, any small vent will work ( 1/2" tube). I would be taking the vent pipe off the top of the case and routing a second tube off the bottom which should promote some circulation. Both can go to the underside of the trailer. Having said all this, I will be doubling up the single battery on my AS with two AGMs. Our trailer was originally fitted with 2 AGMs and a solar panel. As we purchased it it has one lead acid in the compartment and a set of cables poorly wrapped under the couch. I have also started investigating adding a second battery compartment. I found the frame and plastic battery box but not the lockable door on Airstream Parts for new and vintage Airstream trailers
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote