Old 01-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Battery Box Fabrication

I will be upgrading to a 2 battery system the end of April just before I add a 100 watt solar panel system to my '86 Sovereign 25'. I only have a curb side battery box on the front of the trailer now. I'm caught between having the storage box behind the propane tank cover cut out and a deeper box welded in or just cutting the bottom out and having a box welded around the existing one which will increase box depth from 7 5/8" to around 11". Right now there would be just enough room to put in a battery (post facing street/curb side), slide it forward a couple inches and then put in another battery and slide it toward the trailer body. Since there is a 1 7/8" lip under which the second battery could slide toward the trailer and another 3" the first battery could slide toward the front of the trailer, I would probably have to put a spacer in between the 2 batteries. External size of box front to rear is 17 5/8", plenty of room IF the depth was increased. Internal width is around 12 1/4", just enough for the grp. 27 battery.

The question is, ground off welds and put in a new box or just cut the bottom of the box out and weld a deeper box around the existing one? I would also move the regulator toward the top of the tanks rather than where you see it on the left side of the picture at the bottom of the tank cover. The wiring should be straightforward as I would replace the current cables with slightly longer ones if necessary. Any comments or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batterybox 001.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	31058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Batterybox 002.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	31059  

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
While either way sounds like it would work, I'd probably opt for adding to the bottom. KISS method.
Only other suggestions, which you may be considering already, are:
Rhino-line or similar product the battery box to reduce corrosion.
Provide drain holes in the box.
2 - 6volt batteries instead of 2 - 12volt. Wire in series.
Dave

Old 01-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi davidz71; Safety should be your first consideration. It is much safer to have the battery outside then inside. Your storage box looks rusted through.
You may want to consider welding up a SS battery box and sink it down and weld it into a present storage box, so that the top is level. Box should be vented by a 1/2 vent down and out. Make sure that the battery is fastened down so that the terminals do not come in contact with the box should the battery be thrown up during a heavy bump.
If you are extending the wires be sure to use a heavier gage wire in accordance to amperage demand and the length of wire. Good luck. "Boatdoc"
Old 01-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
boatdoc,
The bottom of the storage box does have some rust but the sides and top are in excellent condition. I did indeed think about Rhino Linings or LineX for the inside of the box and maybe the inside of the lid which does not hit the box lip. Thanks for the suggestions.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Craig,

Everybody has great suggestions. I would also use the KISS method. I would leave the box alone and just try extending the bottom. I think you could just run some 1" flat stock around the opened bottom and tack onto it with your new extended bottom peice. I'd just make sure that the new box is properly enforced to handle the weight two 27's. And of course the drainage, vent, and new cable holes would be crucial. I think you can buy a small DIY kit to Rhino the new box.

Greg