Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Blenheim , Ontario
Battery Bank Upgrade

I am currently planning an ugrade to improve AH Capacity and charging capability. Original equipment is a single 12v Battery and Magnatek Converter. Will change to a 3stage charging Converter and add 2 6v GC Batteries housed in a box on the Aframe as it is unrealistic to make changes to the existing Battery Compartment.

As a convicted Pack Rat the thought of getting the Battery compartment for addtional storage was salivating! However what is wrong with continuing to use this for a 12v Battery parralel connected with the new 2 x 6v Battery bank connected in series? Possibly get's around the remote possibility of losing 12v service with the loss of a 6v cell or battery?

Logical to me but would appreciate confirmation from those in the Community that I am sure are more knowledgeable on such a scheme. Although new to posting I have searched previous threads for answers to no avail which suggests to me this may not even be possible to do?

Many thanks, Gwuk
Gwuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Do a thread search. There are several discussions on this topic.
I went to Three group 27 batteries.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you can imagine it then it shouuld work. I would put in a 1 - 2 - Both battery switch.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I would keep the GC batteries and the other non GC batteries on a separate ciruit utilizing a switch as markdoane suggests. Mixing dis-similar batteries is not optimal as I understand it. BTW, after going through "normal" deep cycle batteries on a yearly basis (yeah yeah in know you take yours to bed and sleep with them etc. I abuse mine... :-) ) I switched to Trogan GC batteries several years ago on my SOB. They are still going strong now on the AS and have paid for themselves. I put mine in a Battery Box on my trailer's tongue behind the propane tank housing. I used this box as it just fit between the frame rails on top of my old support bracket for my single batter box. I had a friend that was a welder make a small frame to hold it (bolting the frame down through the existing frame. I couldn't rest the battery box right on top of the old frame as my hitch bracket bolts were in the way. Anyway, I am very happy with the setup. FWIW.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Blenheim , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
If you can imagine it then it shouuld work. I would put in a 1 - 2 - Both battery switch.
thanks again for your suggestion

I have sourced a 1-2-Both and OFF Battery Switch - Blue Sea 300A Marine grade that is available locally.

My question now is can I replace the existing 12V Battery Kill Switch with the 1-2- Both switch using the off position in place of the existing switch?

thanks

Gwuk
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Blenheim , Ontario
never quite what the say its!

I have ordered an IOTA DLS -55 w/IQ4 to replace my Magnatek 950-4-2 In preparing to make the change I see a third wire (rolled and taped)coming out of the Magnatek that is not connected to anything. I have no reason to believe this is not the original factory issue and in checking the schematic provided it shows this wire should be connected to th "Power On" Indicator.

Instead a small Transformer(variable set at 3v) is plugged into a 120v outlet and output wire is used to connect with "Powe On" Indicator.
I need a work around for the IOTA and this will work but was curious to reason why they did this if anyone knows?

Could still use some help with my previous thread post too?

Cheers

GW