Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I'll see if I have a shot of the last one I did and post it later today.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
battery box

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I'll see if I have a shot of the last one I did and post it later today.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
would love too see the battery box also .
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Glendale , California
Removal of parallax ac/dc distribution converter

Going to remove parallax 73?? ad/dc converter and install new progressive dynamics PD5500 ac panel duel feed can split in half tied in with a progressive dynamic PD6000 DC Distribution panel PD6000 Series DC Power Distribution Panels PD5500 Series AC Power Distribution Panels
then Buy a Inverter/Charger with a auto transfer switch .Wire the split panel 1 side have all big load that you don't want to feed with inverter M.W ,Frig and AC. The other side has all the outlets and is fed through the inverter/charger with pass through load to all outlets and will transfer auto when no shore power. What i want is my inverter to feed all plugs not the big stuff . So you have to split the load. has anyone used this panel ? With all the engineers around here I am sure someone is going to tell me you can't do it this way . Trailer 05 25 ccd.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
Going to remove parallax 73?? ad/dc converter and install new progressive dynamics PD5500 ac panel duel feed can split in half tied in with a progressive dynamic PD6000 DC Distribution panel PD6000 Series DC Power Distribution Panels PD5500 Series AC Power Distribution Panels

then Buy a Inverter/Charger with a auto transfer switch .Wire the split panel 1 side have all big load that you don't want to feed with inverter M.W ,Frig and AC. The other side has all the outlets and is fed through the inverter/charger with pass through load to all outlets and will transfer auto when no shore power. What i want is my inverter to feed all plugs not the big stuff . So you have to split the load. has anyone used this panel ? With all the engineers around here I am sure someone is going to tell me you can't do it this way . Trailer 05 25 ccd.

I use them on every 2000 watt + inverter installation that I do. GOOD STUFF!!

You'll have some difficulty separating out the fridge 120 VAC element as IIRC it is part of the GFCI circuit........ But everything else will be fine.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Glendale , California
Thanks Lewster for the affirmation.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Use a 12v cigarette lighter plug and ipad cable instead of the inverter. With the inverter you are inverting up to 120v from 12v and then down to 5v with the ipad adapters. More efficient to go directly from 12v to 5 v.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Glendale , California
Electrical Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Use a 12v cigarette lighter plug and ipad cable instead of the inverter. With the inverter you are inverting up to 120v from 12v and then down to 5v with the ipad adapters. More efficient to go directly from 12v to 5 v.

Al
Geez Al I had not thought of that, I guess I put my trailer all back together return my under 200.00 new panels, my new Inverter/chager . Can you give me some advice on how to power my direct tv receiver.

I like making improvements to my trailer. Also I love Electricity and all the modern conveniences it brings and spending a large part of my life as a PowerLineman risking my life everyday I went to work helping bring power to the people. I am going to use as much as I need.

Spent 3 months this year camping all ready and have more trips coming up ,so its time for a upgrade .With the old inverter under the front couch feeding 1 outlet under the dinette, where I had to get down on the floor to turn on. That inverter a vector 2000 watt 10 years old finally gave out, I think I got my moneys worth . So most all new inverters have remote switchs , no more getting down on floor to turn on the inverter.

Also being retired us old guys like to work on are AS try to make them better just saying, anyway thanks for the advice and you have a wonderful day.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:41 PM   #28

2010 27' FB Classic
Carbondale , Colorado
Exclamation New batteries not holding charge

Just replaced both original batteries with big Optima blue tops. First trip out they were great and after 2 nights were still at 90%. This last boon dock trip this weekend they were in the yellow after only a few hours at camp. This was after being plugged into the house for a full 24 hours before the trip. Had to run the Honda 2000 generator 45 min. a couple times a day just to keep them out of the red.
After taking measurements in the breaker panel and finding everything 'seemed' ok, I noticed what looks to be a blown capacitor in the lower section of the breaker panel (under the pantry). What is this? Is this the charge controller? Inverter? Not much as far as a schematic on this that I can find.
Any help to let me know what's going on here, if it's causing the rapid discharge, and how to repair or replace it would be so much appreciated!
TBeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeery View Post
Just replaced both original batteries with big Optima blue tops. First trip out they were great and after 2 nights were still at 90%. This last boon dock trip this weekend they were in the yellow after only a few hours at camp. This was after being plugged into the house for a full 24 hours before the trip. Had to run the Honda 2000 generator 45 min. a couple times a day just to keep them out of the red.
After taking measurements in the breaker panel and finding everything 'seemed' ok, I noticed what looks to be a blown capacitor in the lower section of the breaker panel (under the pantry). What is this? Is this the charge controller? Inverter? Not much as far as a schematic on this that I can find.
Any help to let me know what's going on here, if it's causing the rapid discharge, and how to repair or replace it would be so much appreciated!
The device located below your breaker panel is your converter. It has a single stage output and will very likely destroy your batteries due to improper charge voltage in very short order. I would replace it as soon as possible with a PD-4655 from Progressive Dynamics, which is a direct replacement.

As for your batteries, your original Interstates were Group 24, which means that they had a capacity of 80 amp/hours each for a total of 160 amp/hours. Since it is suggested to not draw lead based batteries much below 50%, that gives you usable battery capacity of 80 amp/hours.

Optimas are the same physical size as Group 24 batteries but due to their spiral design and the voids between the '6 pack', they only provide 55 amp/hours. with 2, you get 110 total amp/hours. Compare this to the 160 amp/hours that you originally had, and you can see that you have drastically decreased your battery capacity by 40% using Optima batteries.

Despite their limited capacity, they were once considered a good battery. That perception has changed recently, as the are now made in China! Check some of the recent comments on the Web.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmiess View Post
We are having similar problems with our new Classic (2015) We are wondering if using 2 Honda 2000w generators in parallel would charge the batteries on a 50 amp trailer using the 30 amp adapter as well as using the 50 amp shore power cord? We can't seem to get the batteries at full charge even running several hours. Also, where do we find the sleeve extender for the battery box to make it taller for using 6v batteries? We had a horse trailer that we built our own box and used 4 golf cart batteries and it would last for days. We loved it, but on this trailer there is absolutely no room to expand the batteries without building a whole new box and adding lots of weight to the front. Any suggestions? We aren't sure if our converter is a single stage or not. Thanks!
Would your converter benefit from TWO EU2000i generators ... wouldn't think so ... that is the load that an AC unit would be. Lew - please ...?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Battery & Generator Questions

The reply that I posted previously is included below. I use aluminum tubing to make the battery box riser, 1" X 1-1/2" and rivet it to the top battery box flange. The box cover ( removed) is then re-riveted to the new aluminum.

Sorry, but I can't find a photo if this mod.

QUOTE=lewster;1677261]Your batteries are not holding charge if your voltage is dropping that quickly. They are probably a victim of your OEM single stage converter/charger. Be sure to upgrade the converter to a 3-stage unit before replacing your batteries.

BTW, I use aluminum square tube as a riser for installing golf cart batteries. 1" X 1-1/2"

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 09-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Glendale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
Just finished getting my new split panel and new inverter installed with auto transfer switch . Half the panel has AC, fridge,and microwave other half has all 120 outlets had to run separate 120 circuit to the fridge. Chose the Ames over the Magnum solely on cost my 2000 watt pure sine with remote display was 700 and some change. Have to get the fabric to redo the couch frame and figure out where to install remote display. Here's a before and after photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150907_084110.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	248737   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150922_133828.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	248738  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150922_133728.jpg