Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Lewgives good advice, listen to him and you will be alright.
__________________

__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Yes, Lew has my full attention! Shopping now for a PD9280V Converter/Charger.

His suggestion to make this upgrade first seems like an economical and wise move.

Then, we will probably go for two 6v batteries in series.

We tend to use a lot of "juice" when dry camping (running MacBook Pros, ipads, and HD DirecTV), as we create and upload graphics products to the internet market, via the internet, at home and as we travel.
__________________

__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Classic
Hollandale , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 15
We are having similar problems with our new Classic (2015) We are wondering if using 2 Honda 2000w generators in parallel would charge the batteries on a 50 amp trailer using the 30 amp adapter as well as using the 50 amp shore power cord? We can't seem to get the batteries at full charge even running several hours. Also, where do we find the sleeve extender for the battery box to make it taller for using 6v batteries? We had a horse trailer that we built our own box and used 4 golf cart batteries and it would last for days. We loved it, but on this trailer there is absolutely no room to expand the batteries without building a whole new box and adding lots of weight to the front. Any suggestions? We aren't sure if our converter is a single stage or not. Thanks!
__________________
bjmiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmiess View Post
We are having similar problems with our new Classic (2015) We are wondering if using 2 Honda 2000w generators in parallel would charge the batteries on a 50 amp trailer using the 30 amp adapter as well as using the 50 amp shore power cord? We can't seem to get the batteries at full charge even running several hours. Also, where do we find the sleeve extender for the battery box to make it taller for using 6v batteries? We had a horse trailer that we built our own box and used 4 golf cart batteries and it would last for days. We loved it, but on this trailer there is absolutely no room to expand the batteries without building a whole new box and adding lots of weight to the front. Any suggestions? We aren't sure if our converter is a single stage or not. Thanks!

Your batteries are not holding charge if your voltage is dropping that quickly. They are probably a victim of your OEM single stage converter/charger. Be sure to upgrade the converter to a 3-stage unit before replacing your batteries.

BTW, I use aluminum square tube as a riser for installing golf cart batteries. 1" X 1-1/2"


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Your batteries are not holding charge if your voltage is dropping that quickly. They are probably a victim of your OEM single stage converter/charger. Be sure to upgrade the converter to a 3-stage unit before replacing your batteries.

BTW, I use aluminum square tube as a riser for installing golf cart batteries. 1" X 1-1/2"


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Lew... would you please elaborate on the riser you mention? Pictures, perhaps? What is the best way to deal with golf cart batteries that are slightly taller than the battery box itself (such that the box lid will not close)?
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
gandttimes's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

BTW, I use aluminum square tube as a riser for installing golf cart batteries. 1" X 1-1/2"

Not to be too technical, but if it is 1"x1-1/2" it is not square (my evil twin made me do it)
Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357



George
__________________
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
I'll see if I have a shot of the last one I did and post it later today.


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
silverbacksurfer's Avatar
 
2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 214
battery box

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I'll see if I have a shot of the last one I did and post it later today.


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
would love too see the battery box also .
__________________
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
 
silverbacksurfer's Avatar
 
2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 214
Removal of parallax ac/dc distribution converter

Going to remove parallax 73?? ad/dc converter and install new progressive dynamics PD5500 ac panel duel feed can split in half tied in with a progressive dynamic PD6000 DC Distribution panel PD6000 Series DC Power Distribution Panels PD5500 Series AC Power Distribution Panels
then Buy a Inverter/Charger with a auto transfer switch .Wire the split panel 1 side have all big load that you don't want to feed with inverter M.W ,Frig and AC. The other side has all the outlets and is fed through the inverter/charger with pass through load to all outlets and will transfer auto when no shore power. What i want is my inverter to feed all plugs not the big stuff . So you have to split the load. has anyone used this panel ? With all the engineers around here I am sure someone is going to tell me you can't do it this way . Trailer 05 25 ccd.
__________________
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
Going to remove parallax 73?? ad/dc converter and install new progressive dynamics PD5500 ac panel duel feed can split in half tied in with a progressive dynamic PD6000 DC Distribution panel PD6000 Series DC Power Distribution Panels PD5500 Series AC Power Distribution Panels

then Buy a Inverter/Charger with a auto transfer switch .Wire the split panel 1 side have all big load that you don't want to feed with inverter M.W ,Frig and AC. The other side has all the outlets and is fed through the inverter/charger with pass through load to all outlets and will transfer auto when no shore power. What i want is my inverter to feed all plugs not the big stuff . So you have to split the load. has anyone used this panel ? With all the engineers around here I am sure someone is going to tell me you can't do it this way . Trailer 05 25 ccd.

I use them on every 2000 watt + inverter installation that I do. GOOD STUFF!!

You'll have some difficulty separating out the fridge 120 VAC element as IIRC it is part of the GFCI circuit........ But everything else will be fine.


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
 
silverbacksurfer's Avatar
 
2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 214
Thanks Lewster for the affirmation.
__________________
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,327
Use a 12v cigarette lighter plug and ipad cable instead of the inverter. With the inverter you are inverting up to 120v from 12v and then down to 5v with the ipad adapters. More efficient to go directly from 12v to 5 v.

Al
__________________

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
 
silverbacksurfer's Avatar
 
2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 214
Electrical Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Use a 12v cigarette lighter plug and ipad cable instead of the inverter. With the inverter you are inverting up to 120v from 12v and then down to 5v with the ipad adapters. More efficient to go directly from 12v to 5 v.

Al
Geez Al I had not thought of that, I guess I put my trailer all back together return my under 200.00 new panels, my new Inverter/chager . Can you give me some advice on how to power my direct tv receiver.

I like making improvements to my trailer. Also I love Electricity and all the modern conveniences it brings and spending a large part of my life as a PowerLineman risking my life everyday I went to work helping bring power to the people. I am going to use as much as I need.

Spent 3 months this year camping all ready and have more trips coming up ,so its time for a upgrade .With the old inverter under the front couch feeding 1 outlet under the dinette, where I had to get down on the floor to turn on. That inverter a vector 2000 watt 10 years old finally gave out, I think I got my moneys worth . So most all new inverters have remote switchs , no more getting down on floor to turn on the inverter.

Also being retired us old guys like to work on are AS try to make them better just saying, anyway thanks for the advice and you have a wonderful day.
__________________
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #28
New Member
 
2010 27' FB Classic
Carbondale , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3
Exclamation New batteries not holding charge

Just replaced both original batteries with big Optima blue tops. First trip out they were great and after 2 nights were still at 90%. This last boon dock trip this weekend they were in the yellow after only a few hours at camp. This was after being plugged into the house for a full 24 hours before the trip. Had to run the Honda 2000 generator 45 min. a couple times a day just to keep them out of the red.
After taking measurements in the breaker panel and finding everything 'seemed' ok, I noticed what looks to be a blown capacitor in the lower section of the breaker panel (under the pantry). What is this? Is this the charge controller? Inverter? Not much as far as a schematic on this that I can find.
Any help to let me know what's going on here, if it's causing the rapid discharge, and how to repair or replace it would be so much appreciated!
__________________

__________________
TBeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar or generator or and generator? badkat Full-Timing 15 11-17-2014 10:59 PM
Charging battery from TV & generator ?s bmklawt Generators & Solar Power 5 06-06-2010 10:53 PM
Questions, Questions, Questions LowellN Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 5 10-28-2004 08:23 PM
Vintage Bambi battery hookup & DC questions Rosemary Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 6 12-26-2003 12:11 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.