Old 05-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Battery Condition

The voltage of the batteries when under charge is not a good indicator of the state of charge. When charging, they should ideally read over 14 volts, at least at first. But if you have the original converter, they may not read over about 13.6. Leave the trailer connected to shore power overnight, then turn off everything and put the unit in STORE mode. Periodically measure the battery voltage. It should decline to about 12.6 and then stabilize. IF it continues to go down, either the batteries are bad or you have a parasitic load. I'm not familiar with the GoPower setup but some solar panels do not have an isolation diode and will discharge the battery when in the dark if the controller doesn't prevent it.

It sounds like you were connected to shore power for the weekend. If you were, the batteries should have been fully charged, assuming your USE/STORE switch was in the USE position.

If you were in USE and connected to shore power for the weekend, and only ran the furnace for a while, the batteries should not have been dead. If the furnace ran half the time for the 5 hours you said you were waiting on your wife, it should have taken less than 20 Amp hours. I don't know whether you have Group 24 or Group 27 batteries, but two of them should have well over 120, maybe 170 Amp-hours of capacity. It should have taken 60 or more Amp hours to drain your batteries. Either one or both of them are bad or your converter is not charging them properly.

Just my opinion....

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
You said you didnt pull the batteries to check the fluids, but Im unsure if you actually checked the fluids anyway. If the fluids are low, that would impair their performance and longevity.

phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
Simply put, if you have a problem with the battery you chose as a replacement and you are away from the original purchase location you’ll want a nationwide resource to help. Walmart sell a variety of batteries both marine and auto and they are everywhere. You can always return their product for a replacement.
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Oshawa , Ontario

We bought our 2102 Airstream from Can-Am. When we picked it up in 2013 we had Andy install a 155 watt Go Power panel kit. After a summer and fall of travelling across Canada and down the west coast, we didn't have much faith in the Interstate batteries which didn't seem to hold a charge. We swapped them out for Lifeline AGM batteries (group 24) when in Los Angeles and haven't had a problem since. We have dry camped for as long as 10 days at a time including running the furnace overnight with no battery issues. The only caveat is that we need regular sunshine as we can't go more than two days before the batteries drop to 50% charge.

I think the 80 watt panel is too small to give a proper charge during daylight hours.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I chose 2 Optima Blu Top AGM batteries.
I know that Trojan or Lifeline are maybe better quality batteries, but the Optima batteries are at a more affordable price point.
I have Optima Yellow Tops in a couple of vehicles with powerful aftermarket custom sound systems.
So far, so good.
I know Optima batteries aren't the same quality they once were. They sold out to Johnson Controls several years ago and production went to Mexico.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Oak Harbor , Washington
One 100 AH battery
50AH available,
Furnace while fan is on draws 8 amps, ( mine draws 5 amp)
Furnace runs 50% of the time, resulting in 4 AH useage per hour
16 hour night run time, resulting in 48 AH useage

Since 50 AH is available, your battery should last for over 16 hours of run time.
If your situation is different you can adjust the estimate above.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
I pulled the batteries out yesterday to check the fluid, and they seem fine - all cells are full. I didn't think to check the dates on them while I had them out. I guess I'll be pulling them out again to have a closer look... :-/

Not sure about the STORE/USE switch. I haven't seen one in our AS. We have a main disconnect under the gaucho, right beside all the 12V fuses, in front of the converter. Also, our batteries are in two separate accesses in the front of our trailer, rather than in the box on the tongue, like others have mentioned. I'm guessing that's because its a Classic, but not sure...

I suspect that the batteries are probably a couple years old, and may be in need of replacement this year. Its also possible that the original converter/charger might be getting a bit tired, so another thing on the list will be to look at 3 stage charging units. Since there is an 80W solar system hooked in, I'd first like to figure out how its wired.

We're planning on taking Wanda back to Can Am to have them look at a few minor issues already, so I think I'll have them go over the electrical system while she's in, and I'll go from there. For now, since we've got a couple trips planned within the next few weeks, I'll make do with things the way they are. We shouldn't need to run the furnace much any more, and we'll have 30A service on our trips, so a small electrical heater should do fine until after she goes in for service.

In the meantime, I'll be reading the electical / battery / solar forums with interest to see what my upgrade path is.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and opinions!
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
if you dont already have the 2004 Classic owners manual....

phann is offline   Reply With Quote