Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
Battery 6 or 12 volts

need to change my batteries in my 2013

so don't know anything about power !!!!!

which one is best 6 or 12 volts? and why ?

easy to change it ? because the batteries are not in the same size
I understand I need to raised my lid for a upper one ...

where I can buy it or find it ? only home made ???
socool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
You should have two 12V group 24 Interstate SRM 24 deep cycle Marine/RV batteries in your 2013 25' International. I would recommend that you replace your batteries with the same. Other folks have also had success with Kirkland (Costco) Deep Cycle Marine Group 24 batteries as well as Walmart Marine Deep Cycle Group 24 batteries. Make sure whatever you choose that you select deep cycle Marine/RV batteries.

These batteries are relatively low cost and easy to upgrade. Make sure you disconnect the negative terminal first, then the positive terminal, before removing the existing batteries. After installing the new batteries, connect the positive terminal, then the negative terminal last. This avoids the risk of shorting the battery when touching the positive terminal if the wrench were to short to the chassis.

These batteries are known as flooded lead-acid batteries. They require some basic care. Check the liquid levels from time to time and fill them up with distilled water if they are low. Avoid connecting your RV to shore power with the Use/Store switch in the Use position for long periods of time. Doing so will harm your batteries because you likely have a single-stage battery charger as part of your RV's power converter. You can Google "RV single-stage battery chargers" for a detailed description of the issue.

Good luck.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Depends

Your battery choice depends on how you intend to use them.

If you plan to spend most of your time connected to power in an RV park another set of group 24s will likely do you fine. Do get quality deep cycle batteries not starter batteries.

In the other hand if you intend to spend a lot of time dry camping and boondocking you may well need to upgrade to larger batteries with higher amp-hour ratings than the group 24s. In this case you may desire a battery monitor also to assess your usage and battery charge state.

There is a ton of good battery info on the web - Google it. Here is one site, there are others.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/

i have been investigating battery box mods for a while. I didn't find what I wanted so designed my own which will allow a standard AS battery box to accommodate both larger and taller batteries. I intend to post pics and the design on the forum in the next few weeks. I have the parts but need to install it and get pics.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
Thank you for all your ideal

I think keep the same batterie and add solar panel to keep It full charge and Forget the ideal to change 12 volts

Great to Know how to unplug It !!!
socool69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt