Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Batteries - what kind?

Ok ... I have searched the forums but is there a certain type of battery that should be used with a certain type of Airstream?I have a 2005 25'SS and my batteries are dead.I have been noticing this for a while now and it has been on a downward trend slowly getting worse in time.Today when I went to town to check on it I was going to fill up the toilet with a bit more water before it dried out and the pump would not work.I checked the batteries and they are dead.
So...What type of Battiery should I get.I dont really know much about them but I would like to get 2 really good ones.I have noticed that everyone talks about certain brands but what do you all think would be a good choice for me to use?
I dont really boondock and if I do it is because I am pulling over for the night to get to my destination.
Thanks everyone.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I like Optima, they are expensive though. I suggest you put a cut off switch on your batteries if you don't have one now, so you can do two things; eliminate the overcharging when shore power is on, and the constant drain when the trailer is stored. This would assume your converter does not have a charge wizrd type thing already on it.
I kep the Optima in my motorhome alive a long time with this set up.
There are other good brands, many have their favorite, but even a reasonably priced battery will last long if you do the above.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Batteries

Would anyone know if I have an automatic switch for the batteries or do I need to put one on also.
What would be a great switch to get if I do need one.
My Airstream is a 2005 25'SS Safari model.It is pretty much your basic model.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You can save $19 on the battere disconnect and use spade-type fuses--just pull them to cut off the battery (assuming the fuse panel is in a convenient location). Spade fuses are available up to 40 amp. I have used 25 amp for battery fuses for several years and never blown one.

I recommend the 115 A-h Marine battery that Costco used to sell for $55, but I've only found it lately at WallyWorld for about $67. They won't last as long as an Optima, but then I don't feel so bad when I fail to water them or don't disconnect them when I should and I have to get new ones.

Zep
Old 03-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Switches

Would something like this work?
I dont really know about these either so be gentle.
Battery Switches & Isolators - BoatersWorld.com

Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman

Yes, but look at the ratings--275 Amps and more! Worst case you might have 60 Amps to your battery, but just for seconds. You're really dealing with 30, maybe 40 amps, max. The marine environment is a lot different than ours--lots of fuel, maybe a big engine, no place to escape to but jump in the water. So they need to emergency disconnect power quickly, in case of fire, etc. I don't think you need to spend $100+ on battery disconnects. You can get the $20 knife blade switch at most RV parts places, but that's a bare hunk of metal just asking for a short circuit unless it's mounted on a vertical surface and in an otherwise safe place.

I think you can just pull the fuze. Up to you, of course. In an Airstream, the "emergency" disconnect is the fuze--fuze values should be low enough to ensure they blow if something unexpected happens. We really use a disconnect to either prevent small sneak currents (like the radio) from completely discharging the battery over the winter or, if you leave your trailer on shore power all the time it's at home, to prevent overcharging an boiling all the water out. A fuze is plenty convenient for this purpose, IMHO.

Zep
Old 03-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Lifeline

I recommend the Lifeline AGM's. They're expensive but, in my opinion, are well worth it. They came in my' 05', and are still going strong. They've never been removed, or disconnected.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I've said this before on the forums but, IMHO, if you're the typical Airstreamer - and not a full-timer - you'll be doing good to get 2-3 years life out of a set of batteries. I'm sure that it's possible to double that life expectancy but, at $60 +/- per battery, the effort just isn't worth it - especially up h'yar in the frozen north! I keep the AS plugged in year-around so that I can check things out - without using a flashlight - or just roam around inside dreaming about Spring. Right now, if I unplug the shore power, the current 3-year old batteries will discharge in about a day or so. I've checked for residual drainage - but, aside from the CO2 and smoke detector, there doesn't seem to be a problem. I know that, when new, the batteries will stay up all summer in between trips. That said, I'll pop a new pair in this Spring, with the highest amp-hr rating I can find at a reasonable price, and not worry about it for another two years or so. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Devoman,
Do you mean a low voltage disconect? or a manual disconnect?

I have Lifeline AGM's and they are holding up well.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
_

. , .
hey devoman how are you!

why are the batteries dead?

did something get left ON and drain them to zero?

have u tried recharging them?

did they boil dry or sulfonate? Sulfation

u can take a battery into almost any auto supply shop and have them charged/tested.

1. your unit already has a 12 volt disconnect switch.

it will disconnect everything from the batteries except the lpgas detector and the jack and the safety brakes.

2. the primary limitation on new batteries is the SIZE that will fit easily into the existing space.

the current batteries are group 24 or 27, this is printed ON the batteries themselves.

so the replacements need to be the same 'group size' to fit easily into the current space.

you have 3 choices, liquid lead-acid, gel cells or agms (all are deep cycle lead/acid)

the agms cost the most, need virtually no maintenance and will usually outlast the others.

otoh YOU never are away from 'hookups' so basic liquid lead acid deep cycles are the obvious choice...

again WHY are they 'dead' ?

knowing how/why they are shot helps to determine which replacement option...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Batteries

How's it going 2Air?
I really dont know.They worked really well in the beggining but over time I noticed that they would die out faster and faster.I had it hooked up to shore power for several days and when I would unplug it the batteries were low and it seemed to not be charging like they should.It had power when I unplugged it and I turned the power off inside the Airstream at the little switch to make sure it was off.
It has been about a week or so now and they are dead.I checked everything to see if anything was on but I always turn everything off since I park it for the summer being that I work a lot then.
I will be back in town again and I am going to check everything out to see what is up with it.Hopefully I can figure something out.I will also take the batteries out to get them checked.
Funny how things take a turn when your warranty runs out.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
_

. , .
so right about the AFTER warranty issues, devoman...

more questions...

-when you aren't using the trailer is it plugged in or not?

-what is the LONGEST it has been parked unplugged?

-how many times have the batteries been below the 40-50% charge level?

-have u ever added or checked the water level in the batteries?

basic issues like these will greatly affect battery life.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Batteries

You know I never have checked the batteries and looked at the level of it.I have had it plugged in for over a week and it never charged up half way.This was just before I took it to town to set it up for the summer.
Being that I have not checked it I can bet anything I killed my battery by not checking the level of liquid in it.

When I would go into town at least once to twice a week sometimes I would check it out to make sure there are no critters or anything like that or to just give it a bath so I would plug it up for a few days and then unplug it.Being that it was my parents place they could unplug it for me.Seems it was just getting getting worse as the days went by.I believe I have more than likely murdered my batteries.
I did not realize that they could burn out that fast.I really never used the batteries to boondock or anything except when I am traveling but I guess that can do it also.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
_

. , .
well...

3 years without checking water level IS a bit long...

otoh, i have killed rv batteries myself (long ago) that came back to life after adding distilled water!

so u might try this first. it may be 2 late but it's a cheap thing to try....

IF you don't ever wanna mess with checking fluid levels, in the NEXT pair of batteries...

get the maintenance free deep cycle batteries as replacements...

i really like the agms from lifeline...

Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries

but you might know someone local who can get ya a good deal on some other brand of sealed deep cycles...

just be sure they are the same "group size" as the current ones and will FIT in the battery boxes...

now, about those after warranty issues...

you need to make sure the charger/converter is working properly too!

cheers
2air'

Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Batteries

I will be in town tomorrow evening so I plan to check it out and see what I can do.Well its a lesson learned.I will be looking at some AMG'S if these can not be saved which I am thinking they are goners now.

Thanks.I will check on that also.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #16

2005 28' Safari
Spokane Valley , Washington
Quote:
Ok ... I have searched the forums but is there a certain type of battery that should be used with a certain type of Airstream?I have a 2005 25'SS and my batteries are dead.I have been noticing this for a while now and it has been on a downward trend slowly getting worse in time.Today when I went to town to check on it I was going to fill up the toilet with a bit more water before it dried out and the pump would not work.I checked the batteries and they are dead.

So...What type of Battiery should I get.I dont really know much about them but I would like to get 2 really good ones.I have noticed that everyone talks about certain brands but what do you all think would be a good choice for me to use?
I dont really boondock and if I do it is because I am pulling over for the night to get to my destination.
Thanks everyone.
I have a 2005 28' Safari and it has an Intellitec battery disconnect switch just inside the door, so you already have a battery disconnect, if its working. I think it is standard. I just replaced my batteries with 2 Trojan T145 6volt golf cart batteries, because my old ones went dead and the old ones didn't have as much capacity as I wanted. I had to do a bit of a modification to the battery box to increase the height, but the footprint was fine. They aren't cheap. I also replaced the power converter with a three stage Xantrex XADC-60 to charge the new batteries. I'm thinking they should last awhile with a better charger.
ernie_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Still Searching?

Have spent considerable time looking for a battery disconnect on our

03 Classic. Does anyone know for sure if it even has one? How about

hooking up to shore power with the batteries out of the loop, any

possible damage to the system? Have always removed them for winter and

kept them on a float charger. 30w solar keeps them charged between trips.

I just now tested them and they are still holding a full charge, SFSG.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I hope this is the approiate place and time. I just bought 2 AMG batteries. They are on trickel now /Not yet installed, Should I consider a desulpher unit to install also along with my new batterys? I did read something about it here,but cant find the thread. I know Use the search but I dont know exactly what to ask for.
Thanks In advance
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Vector Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
I hope this is the approiate place and time. I just bought 2 AMG batteries. They are on trickel now /Not yet installed, Should I consider a desulpher unit to install also along with my new batterys? I did read something about it here,but cant find the thread. I know Use the search but I dont know exactly what to ask for.
Thanks In advance
Roger
Been using the Vector, VEC 1093D for the last two seasons. It's been a

great unit.
Vector Car Battery Charger - auto car smart battery charger
Old 03-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
Another happy Vector user (VEC1097A), plug it in and it does the rest.... Use it for deep cycle and starter batteries. Works great!
UpNorthAir is offline   Reply With Quote