Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Batteries @ purchase dead

When we looked at our 2015 FC on the lot last Nov the batteries would not support any of the DC components i.e.: fans, lights, etc. when we picked up the trailer a week later everything seemed AOK. Now into our third month of travel the batteries are acting up and have dropped to 9.3 v. Tomorrow we visit Interstate Battery Co to discuss options.
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Under warrenty?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Before installing new batteries....Do The Converter Upgrade.

Usually one of the first 'improvements' new 'Streamers do.
A quality 3 or 4 stage converter will not overcharge & ruin your batt's.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07649.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	262221  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #4
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Once batteries go dead, like last november, they are junk and should be replaced. The dealer put a charge into them when you got the trailer, but they are still junk, as you discovered. You need new batteries. If you can't get help from the dealer with replacements, it is on you. I would not buy Interstate, they have a bad reputation. Try to find something from East Penn. Their brand is Deka. Also relabeled as Duracell. This is a good time to chose Golf Cart batteries.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Once batteries go dead, like last november, they are junk and should be replaced. The dealer put a charge into them when you got the trailer, but they are still junk, as you discovered. You need new batteries. If you can't get help from the dealer with replacements, it is on you. I would not buy Interstate, they have a bad reputation. Try to find something from East Penn. Their brand is Deka. Also relabeled as Duracell. This is a good time to chose Golf Cart batteries.
Well I have been using interstate's for over 25 years and never had any problems with them, my big truck is now on 6 years and the as is now going on 4 years with original converter, when these batteries need to be replaced, it will be with interstate's....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I second the recommendation for Deka, excellent batteries. East Penn is a privately held company, over 60 years old. I've been running Deka batteries in my Ranger boat since 1994. I get about 6 years out of the Deka for trolling motor / deep cycle use and I run them down pretty far on the longer trips. http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/about/history/
I order mine through Lowes, online, ship to store. They have them there in a couple of days. Take your old ones in to avoid the core charge.

So far, the best battery I've ever owned came in my 04 4Runner, purchased in 3Q 2003. It's a Panasonic brand. Last spring the dealership told me it was testing weak and should be replaced. So before going to Florida in December I put a new Toyota battery in it, stored the Panasonic.

While we were snow birding, our Sienna killed the Deka I had put in there, apparently you have to disconnect the battery or the various systems will run it down. So I put the Panasonic in its place; runs great. Almost 13 years (so far) for a battery, that's pretty good service.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Four years, no problems with our Interstates. Everyone will have problems with something, IMHO.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Robere, if you don't have solar, then Robert's suggestion of upgrading the converter is a very good one. A proper three-stage battery charger will maintain your batteries for long life. Also, be careful not to deplete the batteries more than 50% as doing so will decrease battery life. A battery monitor is a worthwhile investment. This device directly measures current into and out of the battery and can tell you at a glance the state of charge. Trimetric make a standalone monitor among others that's quite popular. Maintain your battery and you should get 5 years from any of the deep-cycle brands.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum Robere!

Have you contacted the dealer? Assuming this is a new trailer, the batteries should be under warranty, and the dealer should be very apologetic if they did not charge the batteries correctly while on the lot. All the suggestions for upgrades are fine, but you are entitled to set things right first IMO.

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robere View Post
When we looked at our 2015 FC on the lot last Nov the batteries would not support any of the DC components i.e.: fans, lights, etc. when we picked up the trailer a week later everything seemed AOK. Now into our third month of travel the batteries are acting up and have dropped to 9.3 v. Tomorrow we visit Interstate Battery Co to discuss options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Under warrenty?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Our new 2014 25' FC came with bad Interstate batteries. We used them for about 3 months, always wondering why they would not hold a charge since we bought the AS new. When we got home, AS dealer tried to charge us for testing them, and also for taking to Interstate to check them out. I went over to Interstate and found there were bad cells in both batteries. They have 2 year warranty, and gave me 100% value toward new AGM's which I upgraded to. Cost me about $200 I believe, but the AGM's have been great for past 2 years. I likely will re-visit the battery threads here at some point and go to lithium's if I need to replace. (oh, and I argued with AS service here in SD about the labor charge and won; they did not mention that the warranty work did not include labor, like checking batteries....they get you when they can, so be careful to ask upfront on charges, even under warranty!)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #11

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
alano, we have a 160 watt Zamp solar setup. Would a converter upgrade be appropriate and what about going to two 6 volt wet batteries?
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Your Zamp includes a proper three-stage battery charger, so if you want to save money, you can skip the converter upgrade and just make sure you select the "Store" position when connected to shore power.

You Zamp charger also doesn't care whether you have two 12 V batteries in parallel, or two 6V batteries in series. Together, the two 6V batteries in series appear as a 12 V battery pack and your charger will work fine. The 6 V batteries have thicker plates and are consequently more robust than the 12 V models.

Remember, you shouldn't deplete your batteries by more than 50%. The total battery capacitor for two 12 V batteries in parallel is the battery capacity x 2. However, the total battery capacity for two 6 V batteries in series is the battery capacity x 1. You'll need to do the math and see if the additional battery capacity you gain by going to 6 V batteries makes sense for you.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #13

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Update: Battery Failure on 2015 FC

Back story: Picked up 2015 FC in Nov 2015. Out on first trip Feb 2016. Battery problems month 3 of trip in May 2016. Dealer covered replacement of the Interstate batteries as they were dated March 2015 and 8 months of warranty was lost by the time we purchased. Two dead cells, one in each battery. All good now. What I learned: be sure the batteries have adequate distilled water (which I already knew and checked frequently). Also never let the battery voltage go below 11.5 volts. Thirdly one of the responses suggested an after market battery monitor which I will purchase. Probably stay with the 12v batts even though 6v has advantages previously stated on this forum. Moral: use the solar panels as we have in the past and if they don't maintain the voltage the batts may be bad. An $8 hygrometer might be another item to carry to verify a bad cell.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Old 05-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have factory solar, original converter/ charger (up to last month), and still have good original batteries. About 1400 nights camping. As mentioned by alano, you can protect you batteries from constant overcharge by the factory converter/charger by selecting STORE mode on the Battery Switch whenever on external power, and let the solar system charge your batteries.

Our factory solar system came with two Lifeline AGM batteries, more expensive but will last longer and provide more power if taken care of as described above.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update Robere.

Happy Trails . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote