Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Batteries on 2 amp trickle all winter. Will they work?

Hi there. When we winterized our 23fb last fall, I took the batteries out and put them on a battery minder 2 amp trickle charger all winter. They are 4 year old marine deep cycle batts.

Do you think they will be ok for our maiden voyage this spring? Any quick way to test before our trip that would be inexpensive?

When should I think of replacing them? They are approx 3.5 years old and I noticed last year that they discharge in 3 weeks if we leave the unit sitting.

Thanks!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
They should be ok. If they discharged in about 3 weeks thats about normal. There may also be something still putting a draw on them,but its very slight. Again it kinda depends on how far down the went.
GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
A 2 amp trickle charger will keep A fully charged battery of Group 24/27 size in good shape. If you used one unit to charge both batteries then you don't have enough amps to keep both of them fully charged. Check the voltage without a load. It should be at least 12.6V or 2.1V/cell. Go to a battery shop and have them test them under load. They can tell you if they are in good shape.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
When I took my batteries out in January after three month of storage with no charge and no parasitic drain they still showed 12.6 volts. I then charged them at home and waited till last month to reinstall. This is what I do every year and it works fine for me.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I think you are fine and the 3 week discharge could very well come from your LP and CO detectors and any other parasitic draw plus the advertized 10-15% per month from most maufactures.
I presume they are the flooded wet cells so make certain they are topped with distilled water and you can easily realize 5 years. Forget just once and let them completely drain and you are on borrowed time.
(in edit, I would pull the fuses on LP and CO detectors during storage. Just remember to replace them)
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
I think you are fine and the 3 week discharge could very well come from your LP and CO detectors and any other parasitic draw plus the advertized 10-15% per month from most maufactures.
I presume they are the flooded wet cells so make certain they are topped with distilled water and you can easily realize 5 years. Forget just once and let them completely drain and you are on borrowed time.
(in edit, I would pull the fuses on LP and CO detectors during storage. Just remember to replace them)
Good idea. I know the CO detector and radio are a draw.

Thanks for all of the responses..

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote